Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Kawasaki Big Horn 350 in 1969
    2021 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

When I started riding back in the 60's you didn't need an MC endorsement. Later in life I let my MC expire so I did an MSF course to bypass all the BS of taking the test at the DMV. After taking the course (and passing it) you simply took your certificate to DMV and they added the MC endorsement to my license. In the course I had to ride a Honda 250 Rebel, which is a real pain if you are a fairly big person Especially since I was used to riding my Harley bagger.
    Last edited by rjinaz86323; 03-22-2023 at 11:18 PM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

My first bike was a 1982 Yamaha Seca 550. Took my test on that after a month of riding. Really glad I had that bike because it was easier to handle than the cruisers I bought later on.

https://youtu.be/kbtakozNLHI
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OH GOD, I must be OLD....
    My first 2 wheeled license test was on a Cushman Motor Scooter in 1956 it even said
    motor scooter only on it, my dad didn't want me to drive a car until I was at least 14.
    When we moved to California from Utah I took my M1 test on my Norton Commando 850
    right after getting out of the Navy in 1961, I did have a car license at the time I just needed the
    motorcycle endorsement. AND by the way I had to renew my drivers license day before yesterday
    I had to take the tests for cars and motorcycles. The guy at the counter asked me if I still want to
    renew my motorcycle license now that I am going to be 81 in May.. I told him I still have motorcycles to ride
    not just the Spyder, In California you are NOT required to have a special license to ride any 3 wheeled vehicle.
    I did not have to do a riding test this time just the written test...
    RIDE ON EVERYONE....
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 03-22-2023 at 02:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Back in my day a MC endorsement was not a requirement if you had a Valid car license!
    When I went into the service, that License remained Valid in all 50 states and overseas while I was a member of the Military.
    By the time I finally needed to get an Endorsement, I was in Las Vegas and took the HD course, so no "test" was required by DMV.
    Oh, the bike HD used. Sorry at my age I'm lucky to remember MY name, but it was a subsidiary of HD, small little fellow.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

First bike was a 200CC Zundapp. Back in the mid 60s (ya I'm that old)
    no MC lic required. Just paid for an MC endorsement on my drivers lic.
    Took a MC driving test in CA in 1980 riding a Honda 350.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

This thread has started me thinking, which is a hard and unusual thing to do! Back in the 80s when I got my endorsement from Washington State there was a tiered endorsement system based on engine cc size. The breakdown was something like 50cc to 250cc got you an M-1, 251cc to 650cc got you an M-2, and 651cc+ got you an M-3. And you had to test on the size bike you wanted the license for. Looks like the tier system is now gone. But now there are lots of places REQUIRING special 3 wheel endorsements for trikes. Here in Arizona a motorcycle endorsement is valid for any 2 or 3 wheel vehicle. So, I assume, my endorsement is valid for any place that REQUIRES a special 3 wheel endorsement on a reciprocal basis when I'm on my trike......?
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    Really glad I had that bike because it was easier to handle than the cruisers I bought later on.
    I had a Kawasaki 440 LTD in the late 80's. Took it to England for a year and moved to an 1100 Goldwing after we came back. Interestingly, the larger GW was a lot more stable on gravel roads than was the 440!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

An RTL.

Spyder Garage

My new 1964 Yamaha 55cc.
    2022 RT , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

new 1981 model Suzuki ER185 so many enjoyable hours. I recall doing things like riding 120km to the nearest city just to have a Kentucky Fried Chicken Chocolate mousse because I could

Only regret - not buying 20'000 Litres of petrol at the price it was then 38c/L
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

'74 Yamaha 200cc
    2022 Spyder F3L Special Series, Red (Oceanside, CA)
    2018 Spyder RT Limited, Pearl White (SLC, Utah)

Spyder Garage

In 1990. Bought a used ‘86 Yamaha VMX12 ‘Vmax’ from a friend for cheap - as partial payment for me putting him up in my home for a few months. Was my first street bike. Biggest bike I had owned previous was a Yamaha YZ250, and had ridden a Kawasaki 440LTD about 6 miles once. Anyway, riding test on the VMax was fun ... DMV fellow behind me, in his car, signaling where he wanted me to turn. About 10min of riding through a residential neighborhood and all was good. Had to keep reminding myself to REALLY take it easy on the speed ... tough thing for a 26 year old with a 140hp scooter to do !!!

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

I got my endorsement in 77. I rode a 1975 Honda XL250. Passed on my first try... Bruce
    Last edited by safecracker; 03-26-2023 at 06:30 AM.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Honda XL125

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

My First bike was a 1982 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk with a 749 cc four-cylinder air-cooled engine. I took my test in Virginia and passed the first time... I was hooked on Riding
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

I posted that I never took a motorcycle test on page one of this thread. That is not entirety true. I am gonna come clean on it now

In 1970 I bought a 350 Honda on the island of Taiwan. Had it customized by a local bike shop. I was "officially" a guest on a Chinese Air Force Base (CCK) and did not need a special license to ride it on base.

I was required to ride it 3 laps around the motorcycle scrambles track on the American side of the base before they would issue me a Chinese Driver's License to ride it on the civilian roads of Taiwan. Also had to take a written test to identify about 15 or 20 International Highway Signs. Neither one was any problem. They didn't have the mud holes flooded on the scrambles track. The Sgt. that gave the test just stood on top of one of the mounds on the track and watched. Still got the license and it is still valid unless they have changed the law there. The Taiwan license was good for life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Many years ago

My first motorcycle test in New York state was on a Bridgestone 90. A written test, and a moderate course test had to be completed.
    When I moved to Ohio in1974 I changed over my Driver's license to Ohio, but refused the MC stamp. Eight years later I had to take both a written exam and a Course test, which was fairly involved. I did this on A Honda GL 500 Silverwing. I only had one gaff, and the officer complimented me on my abilities. He asked me if that was the MC I was going to ride, and I replied that it was. He said so many younger people came in on borrowed machines of smaller displacement, barely got their license, then often wrecked a "crotch rocket" of much larger displacement. Sometimes they were severely hurt or killed.
    2020 rRt Ace , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Just needed my DMV "Learner's permit" (at age 15 1/2 here in California. Brand new 1962 Italian 75cc Capriolo.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

For new riders, consider taking the Basic Riders course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, which is certainly a worthwhile thing to do. Not only will you learn the basics of riding, but in many states, including WI and IL, both of which where I taught that course for years, passing the course gets you your license without any further testing.

Here in IL I was required to take the State riding test to renew my license back in 2021 since I was over 75 years old. The car driving test was a cinch, but the motorcycle test that the State uses is on a tiny little marked course behind the Motor Vehicle office. The only bike I owned at the time was a Honda Goldwing, and despite all my years of riding, and about 5 years of riding a Goldwing, I could not successfully make the tight u-turn that was required, and I dropped the bike. That was just before switching to a Spyder. I then re-took the test on the Spyder, which was a joke it was so easy, but that limited my "motorcycle" license to 3 wheel vehicles. Then, at age 78, I signed up for the basic rider's class, the same one that I taught for 10 years. I used a Honda Rebel 250 and passed the class easily, securing my full motorcycle endorsement (in case I decide to buy another 2 wheeler).
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Age 14 (Ohio) - 54 Whizzer/Schwin; (Minnesota) - Honda CB360
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I took my test at 17 on a Honda CB100.
    I've never had to test again in 46 years.

Spyder Garage

Here in Ontario, Canada, we have a graduated licence system for both cars and motorcycles. A written rule of the road test gets you an M1... you have 90 days to practice (only daylight, no freeways) before taking your first road test which gets you an M2 if you pass. You have up to 5 years to take the second road test for your full M, and if you don't, you have to start all over again. If you take either of your road tests on a 3 wheel cycle, there is a special endorsement that restricts you to only 3 wheels. Similar restriction is in place if you take the test on a small displacement (I think under 200cc) cycle.

I never rode a motorcycle growing up; my brother had an accident on one when I was quite young so they always intimidated me. When I was turning 50 (nearly 68 now) I thought "If not now, when?". Got my M1 and after riding a 50cc moped for a bit, went out and bought a Honda 750 new out of the crate and rode it home. Scared me silly, but kept practicing and I rode it to get my M2. For my full M test, I had moved up to a Harley Dyna .... loved that bike!! Then after moving to a Yamaha Venture, the weight of which nearly killed me a couple of times, I bought my 2018 RTL which I am certain will be my last motorcycle... because I love it! Runs great, and I am too cheap to buy a new one!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

I rode an KYMCO Venox 250cc Yellow Banana color bike through the MSF. The manufacture Kwang Yang Motor Company is Taiwanese and is in business for mainly scooters. The one and only V-twin bike was produced for several years in the mid to late 2000s but is no longer a production model.

Spyder Garage

My first bike was a Honda 100cc . But I lived in Kansas where, at that time, you didn't need a special motorcycle endorsement. Later in Ohio, I took the test on a Honda 450 with no problem since I had been riding for a few years. Of course, being in my early 20's it was probably easier than if I took it today.