Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What bike did you ride to get your motorcycle license ??

Many, MANY years ago, in my 20s, I decided to get a motorcycle. I figured I'm grown up enough and can ride a bike despite my parent's disapproval.

So when I moved to FL and researched what a good beginner street bike would be. I bought a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 250R (as though the "R" would add another 20 hp and make it faster) and practiced on it. I basically knew the principles of clutching/upshifting/downshifting/rev matching, etc. because I had a Honda XR200 dirt bike I tooled with in the woods. Anyway, it didn't take me long to get the hang of riding out in the street with vehicles ready to run me off the road, and not long after I bought it, I took the motorcycle riding test offered by the Florida DMV, which I passed with flying colors the first time.

I remember during one part of the test, we had to weave through a series of cones about 10(?) feet apart in an "S" pattern. With my small, nimble bike, I easily whipped though that test like Ingemar Stenmark on a slalom course. When I was waiting for others to try it, there was a guy on HUGE Harley bagger ready to try his luck. He made the first turn, then struggled to make a second turn, and by the third turn he hit a cone and dropped his bike, which resulted in an instant fail.

When I look back at my first bike, I didn't realize that I would easily "outgrow" it. I should've gotten something bigger in the 600cc range as my first street bike ....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

A CB 900F as I recall. 30+ years ago when I moved to Nevada. I didn't realize how hard the test made you stop. Almost a stoppie---------

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My first ride, and what I got my M/C license on was a 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper. The “test” for my license was to ride a figure 8 around 2 power poles in a grassy/gravely field without having to put my feet down, which of course I managed to accomplish. Prior to the actual “test” I had to demonstrate the proper hand signals. This was in 1959, prior to helmets and turn signals.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

1964 Yamaha 80 one lunger. Back in 1964. Minnesota made me retake the test when I moved back there in 1978. I used a Kawasaki 650 for that one. PS. That was a very nice bike in those days. The usual UJM configuration.

Have not had to take a test for the next three states I lived in...all mc endorsements transferred over.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In 1981:
    1981 Honda Silverwing Interstate GL500.
    But was riding a 1972 Honda CB350 around before that and then went to 2-wheel training where they used Honda Nighthawk 250's.. fun little bike.
    Last edited by Pooch; 03-23-2023 at 07:32 AM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

A Honda 350 scrambler lol
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

First time in 1968 on a '64 Honda 90 Street. That was at age 14 to get a hardship license so I could get to and from work on a local farm. Second time in 2000 after having let the first one lapse/expire in about 1980 was on a Honda Rebel 250 borrowed from a friend. Neither instance was much of a challenge as the first one was in our small town where I lived and the patrol officer followed me in his car and honked once to turn left at the next intersection and twice to turn right. We made about 6 or 7 turns then back to the office where he issued a temporary license until the permanent came in the mail. The second one was in Amarillo but pretty much the same routine except the officer rode in a car with my friend who loaned me the bike driving and using the same signals for left and right turns. The current Texas regulations say you must pass the MSF beginner course first then take the written test at the DPS office. Once you pass that one, the license is issued and printed as a permanent card on the spot.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MSF's Honda Rebel 250, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The year was 1980, I took the motorcycle riding test on my 1975 Honda CB200 . This was a well balanced bike and made taking the riding test a piece of cake. Made a 100% on the ride test.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

1977 Kawasaki 175 2-stroke
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

1969, Wis, 1960 Vespa. Much to my chagrin my kids found a pic...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2023 at 06:04 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

New 1965 Honda 305 scrambler.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

1968 Kawasaki 350 A7SS Avenger Scrambler - Yellow & White

42 hp was unheard of in a 350. For example, the Honda 350 sported only 36 hp in the same year. Rotary Valve 2 Stroke was the key. It had oil injection so you didn't need to mix the fuel. Though you did need to keep an eye on the oil reservoir. If I remember correctly, it had a sight gauge. Drum front and rear brakes. No, it didn't stop. It wasn't designed to stop or handle. It was only designed to GO! And go it did!

Heavy steel wheels and rubber frame.

The only 350 that could come anywhere near keeping up with it was the low pipe, street version. Back in the day when it was all about HP. Handling? What was that? You had to get a European bike if you wanted handling. But they were way down on power. You just needed to pass them up by enough on the strait part of the road so they couldn't catch you in the corners.

This was also the first bike I crashed. But we won't talk about that part.

Kawasaki-A7-Avenger-1600x900.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-21-2023 at 03:28 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

1966 Honda CB 160, bought new with my own (very hard earned) money. At age 15, $500 was a heck of a lot of money. Next was a 1966 BSA Lightning bought in 1972 for $650. It needed a fair amount of work to get it roadworthy. And of course, it had Lucas electrics, "The Prince Of Darkness", which kind of says it all. Then, a 1976 Honda CB750F SuperSport bought new for a whopping $1,900 cash. Great bike, and I rode the living he** out of it, most notably a road trip from Austin Texas to Stone Mountain Georgia for a family reunion. Now that was fun! Then, in 1978 I got married and was moving to NYC, so I sold it for $1,000. Bikeless until 2013 when the wife OK'd an RTL, which was a 5 year long headache. Now a 2017 RTS, which has been trouble free for almost 5 years, and we love it.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

In Washington (the state not the swamp) two and three wheeled motorcycles require separate license endorsements. Used to be a two wheeled endorsement would let you ride two or three wheeled motorcycles. Not anymore. The law changed in January 2000 I believe. I don’t believe there is any grandfather clause.

That being said, when I took my three wheeled course, I used a Spyder provided by the school, which I completed on April 14, 2016.

On a side note, while the procedures for obtaining a three-wheel endorsement are pretty straight forward, the same can't be said about getting a two wheeled endorsement now. So if you live in Washington (the state not the swamp) and you have a two-wheel endorsement, you want to make darn sure you don't let it lapse.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2023 at 06:09 PM. Reason: - & ' 's ;-)
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

1982 Yamaha 400S in 1986. The morning of my test it was pouring a$$ rain and the Registry of Motor Vehicles was about 30 miles. I called and asked if they still did test in foul weather. They said yes, but I could reschedule, although it would cost me another $15. So I put on rain gear and headed down.

The RMV Officer came out to the parking lot. He forgot his rain coat and he had me do a figure 8 in the parking lot, then told me to come inside. He said if I made it to the site in the bad weather that was test enough. :-)

A related humorous story, when my buddy and I went to the registry to get our learner's permits it was right after lunch when we had our appointments. He was around 40 at the time and was the first one they called. First test was vision test when you look into the machine. He looked, looked again, and finally said, "I am sorry, I cannot see anything." The guy said, oops, just back from lunch, forgot to turn the machine on. My buddy was worried they were going to take his driver's license away if his eye sight was that bad!
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Was 1973 on my new Honda CB 500. Took a written test and the instructor said do a figure 8 in the parking lot, and was issued my license. Now you have take the Team Oregon Training course before getting a License.

https://team-oregon.org
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    1966 Honda CB 160, bought new with my own (very hard earned) money. At age 15, $500 was a heck of a lot of money. Next was a 1966 BSA Lightning bought in 1972 for $650. It needed a fair amount of work to get it roadworthy. And of course, it had Lucas electrics, "The Prince Of Darkness", which kind of says it all. Then, a 1976 Honda CB750F SuperSport bought new for a whopping $1,900 cash. Great bike, and I rode the living he** out of it, most notably a road trip from Austin Texas to Stone Mountain Georgia for a family reunion. Now that was fun! Then, in 1978 I got married and was moving to NYC, so I sold it for $1,000. Bikeless until 2013 when the wife OK'd an RTL, which was a 5 year long headache. Now a 2017 RTS, which has been trouble free for almost 5 years, and we love it.
    The 2013 RT was the worst Spyder BRP has built, in my opinion. Still, with some fixes, it can be a great ride.

Spyder Garage

1978 KZ 1000, in the pouring rain. cop just signed off as he did not want to stand out in the monsoon, he figured i got there without getting killed so i was GTG

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    1978 KZ 1000, in the pouring rain. cop just signed off as he did not want to stand out in the monsoon, he figured i got there without getting killed so i was GTG
    Now that's what I like to see! Law enforcement using their head!

Spyder Garage

None. When I got my restricted license at age 15 (1975) they asked me if I wanted to add a motorcycle license for 50 cents and I said yes. I already owned my first street bike so I was going to need it. No riding test required. There were a few extra questions on the written test. I have never taken a riding test since then.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I was 14 years old when I took my "riding test" on a new 1959 Cushman Super Eagle. The test consisted of riding around the courthouse block while the patrolman waited for me the return. I made it back, so I passed.
    I had spent the previous year riding a 1949 Cushman Road king without a license, so I knew what I was doing.
    In 1969, I moved to Hawaii and took a real riding test that actually tested if one could ride. That time I rode a Suzuki T125.
    2015 F3 S , Can Am Red

Spyder Garage

None, never took a motorcycle license test. I already owned a motorcycle when they passed the law that we needed an endorsement for motorcycles. I just took the registration for my motorcycle to the DMV office and they gave me a new license with the endorsement on it. I was grandfathered in. At the time, I was riding a 305 Superhawk, but I didn't have to take any kind of test.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Took my car driver license in 1978. Back then you got the stamp for a 125 cc mc with it and when you turned 21 years old, it automatically expanded to be valid for anything above 125cc. Unfortunately for me, I got my license one month too late, they changed the 21 y/o rule, so I would have had to take a full class and spend a lot of money. So, I never did.

Then I discovered Spyder's and found that my car license is enough to ride them legally here in Norway, so an easy decision for me. My wife also said she would ride with me on three wheels, but not on just two!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2023 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

2003 anniversary edition V-RodC90B45FA-A994-4BDE-B105-4607E2CED458.jpg not first bike, just first HD & solid rims are WIND SAILS & stupid fast bike, even with 250+# rider. LoUiSiAna DMV well.... anyhow caught tearing just before closed & (Let’s say) passed enough. Know was able to skip the U- turn & full circle portion of test -combination of size of bike & holes in parking lot test area. Either way worked out & kept on going. Then again retesting after TBI on 2007 Yamaha Roadstar 6D3E90BE-A72B-4F84-B1AA-8FE5D7A5DD7D.jpgable to skip riding test portion all together after MSF class. (License expired during TBI -hence retest)
    Last edited by Bfromla; 03-21-2023 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Pics

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack