Spyder Garage

Default I did an MSF 3Wheel Refresher Course!

On Friday 3/17 I went up to the Salt Lake Community Collage to take an MSF 3wheel refresher course in preparation for the new riding season. I actually have never taken an organized motorcycle riding course before so was very curious as to what it would be like. This course was organized by one of the chapters of the riding group I have been with for 30 years, so we got a nice discount. When we started our course we had a good conversation on gear, safety, awareness, and some of the differences in trikes and 2 wheelers. Then he laid out a course with turns, weaves, in opposite directions lefts and rights, stops, swerves, more discussions. more left and right turns, slow and at some speed. We did 3 hours' worth of work and it was a blast. My Spyder was still blocked by snow and besides we wouldn't be done until 7:00pm and I didn't want to ride home 90 min in the cold and dark, thru the mountains, I used their machine. It was a 2022 Ryker Rally and I really enjoyed it. I had never ever sat on a Ryker before, and I found it to be more comfortable than I thought it would be. I liked the twist and go, but I wished the transmission would engage sooner than it did. It took me a time or two to get used to the brake pedal location, but I soon caught on to it. I really liked the bar end mirrors and I think I will investigate whether those mirrors will fit the ends of the RT.
    If there is a MSF course near you, it may be a good idea to do a refresher course for you now that winter is ending and get your skills up to snuff before you hit the road. If you don't have one your owner's manual has a rider course you can set up out lined in it.
    Ride safe my friends and I hope you get another year of miles of smiles on those beautiful Spyders and Rykers. Love that "Y" factor.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Similar experience with just the basic 2wheel course here. Had previously been self-taught & been riding number of bikes before my TBI in 2012. 7 brain surgeries later dumb founding doctors & many others - walking talking & learning my new limits. Took the local course,
    Ride their bikes (comfortably) & pass just as well as anyone else. (Maybe few extra instructions repeated) did correct some things I had unknowingly taught myself wrong quite glad I took the course & proved I could ride again. Then afterwards, found the demo deal for the STL & the delay of getting my license & a goof up @ the bank helped knock price down even better

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ears+ago+today
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2023 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Paul, you lucked out, weatherwise! Do you think you learned anything new, skill-wise?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My first bike was a BSA Bantam 2 stroke. It was a barn find in an Orchard I used to work at in the weekend on the 70,s.

The owner bloke and an Engineer from next door allowed me to bring it into the workshop and tutored me on how to get it sorted and running. They made me do the work but supervised. I had no idea but learnt fast. This was mostly after school and on Sundays.

Then once running I found out all about having to get a Licence and stuff from a local cop who said hello (and gave me a growling ) at every opportunity. One day I was able to say . Yes Sir here is my Licence and the bikes Registration. No growling and he gave me a Minty Lolly. Then gave me a lecture about my speed in town. haha.

I guess he was an ok guy looking back. I'm retired for a while now and always had bikes.

Anyhow. I complete a local ride course about every other year. The are are many levels and I go for the experienced rider level.

I am reminded about a few things. Usually learn something new. And have a good day out.

Usually the morning is cones and stuff. Quite challenging braking and maneuvering and stuff A discussion around lunch time , then a supervised 2 hr or so group ride. Followed by a shortish discussion, and comments from all.

Its a good ( long) day out but well worth it.

Well done and I recommend it for all to consider.

Spyder Garage

Yes I learned that at 77 I don't bounce back into habits as quick as I used to and to be very careful my 1st few days back in the saddle. This was not a teaching course so much as course to help you remember all the things you forgot from last fall. I was very happy with what I got for my $20.00

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Down Under here they provide a Certificate and a badge. Get a few $$ off your insurance as a bonus.

Inkedmsf gold 20230322_165737.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Down Under here they provide a Certificate and a badge. Get a few $$ off your insurance as a bonus.

Inkedmsf gold 20230322_165737.jpg
    nothing that elaborate here, just a thumbs up if you did well.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 03-22-2023 at 09:54 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    nothing that elaborate here, just a thumbs if you did well.
    & lil proof for insurance/dmv something to laminate & carry/flash around

09A7DCBA-84E9-49C1-9110-650F551AB015.jpeg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2023 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

you got a really good price for the course
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Yes we did .One of the members of our riding club is an instructor for the MSF at the college and he arranged the course just for club members at a special price.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI