Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do Older F3's have any reliability issues?

I’m shopping for an F3 and budget wise most of the F3's I am looking at put me in the '15 or '16 model years. Do those first year F3's have any reliability issues compared to newer models? Something that scares me a bit is all the electronics that are in the Spyders and I'm worried that age will cause issues, and honestly, all the dealers around me have sketchy reviews...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2023 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I just recently sold my F3L with 22,500 miles and never had any problems with it. I took it the dealer for the 3,000 mile service and never for anything else.

The only reason I sold it was to get a newer RTL and change my riding style because of hip problems. The F3L is so much more graceful and has a different fun factor.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    I’m shopping for an F3 and budget wise most of the F3's I am looking at put me in the '15 or '16 model years. Do those first year F3's have any reliability issues compared to newer models? Something that scares me a bit is all the electronics that are in the Spyders and I'm worried that age will cause issues, and honestly, all the dealers around me have sketchy reviews...
    The Major issue is the front sprocket ..... they are on Re-call ..... if it's a 15 to 18 the DESS module may also be an issue .... however that can be a DIY fix for about $ 145.00 in parts .... Mike

Spyder Garage

53k and rising on my 2015 F3S. Only issue is the DESS which I'm disabling through BUDS. They haven't changed anything significant with the F3 Lineup through the years. The 20+ F3 models are not under the sprocket recall - but it's still undetermined as to why - since they have the same sprocket as the earlier models. But the sprocket recall will correct the issue on an older one anyway (when they are more readily available). 2018+ saw the new Dash and BRP Go but many folks don't like the BRP Go.

2017 in the F3L trim added the Top Case if that's important to you - 2016 didn't have it. 2015 was Base and S only - the T and L didn't come out till 2016.

Frankly - I'd more more concerned with an older model with super low mileage than an older model that was clearly ridden. Sitting can take a toll on hoses/etc. Not that I'd avoid a low mileage old one - just that I'd pay more attention to the rubber/fluid/etc when buying it.

That's my 2+ cents.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

If I remember right, the earlier F3s had a different rear sprocket. All F3s are reliable as far as I know. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    If I remember right, the earlier F3s had a different rear sprocket. All F3s are reliable as far as I know. Bruce
    2015 F3 and F3S share the same "sport" rear sprocket. (Only 2 F3 Models made)
    2016 F3, F3S, F3T, F3L share the same "sport" rear sprocket. (All F3 Models made)
    2017+ - F3T/L got the "touring" sprocket that is on the RT. F3S kept the "sport" sprocket. I'm not sure on the Base F3 but think it's the "touring" sprocket as well.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I had a 2017 F3 LDT No issues. I only sold it to get a Freewheeler ( hated it). I sold that after 6 months and bought a 21 RT base (no issues with the RT) and not regretting it in the least.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

on my list of options is a 15 f3s with 4600miles... Should I be worried about so few miles and what should i be looking for when inspecting it?

Spyder Garage

on my list of options is a 15 f3s with 4600miles... Should I be worried about so few miles and what should i be looking for when inspecting it?
    That low of miles means it's sat a lot. Also - unless documented otherwise - assume it's had only 1 if that "service." Recommended Oil Change is at least once a year or 9300 miles (after the first service). Again, that low of miles means original tires likely - think about them being 8+ years old and sitting a lot. Check for dry rot. You won't be able to see things like hoses/etc - but but they are possibly dry rotting as well. If it runs rough at all that would be a possible culprit. Maybe it fires right up and runs great. 8 years, that much sitting - I'd want to have the brake fluid flushed - wouldn't hurt to have the coolant flushed as well.

None of the above is a "big" deal if you are getting it for a great price and willing to do a bit of maintenance. There is a possibility you have ZERO issues taking it and just riding it - but working on them as a hobby gig - and knowing what I know - I'd want the peace of mind knowing things were looked at, tires were replaced, I'd flush the fluids myself, etc.

By no means trying to scare you off - again - you may have zero issues - but when I hear about an 8 year old bike with less than 5k - I know it's sat A LOT. Did it sit in temperature controlled space or was it subjected to extreme heat/cold? How old is the gas and other fluids/etc. Why was it a garage queen? Bought to show off? Owner had an issue and just let it sit? Didn't like it? Whatever the reason - all that could factor into the decision making.

Again, just my 2+ cents.

EDIT: Let me add for clarity - For the right money - I'd buy it in a heartbeat - but I know I can check/do all of the above.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    That low of miles means it's sat a lot. Also - unless documented otherwise - assume it's had only 1 if that "service." Recommended Oil Change is at least once a year or 9300 miles (after the first service). Again, that low of miles means original tires likely - think about them being 8+ years old and sitting a lot. Check for dry rot. You won't be able to see things like hoses/etc - but but they are possibly dry rotting as well. If it runs rough at all that would be a possible culprit. Maybe it fires right up and runs great. 8 years, that much sitting - I'd want to have the brake fluid flushed - wouldn't hurt to have the coolant flushed as well.

None of the above is a "big" deal if you are getting it for a great price and willing to do a bit of maintenance. There is a possibility you have ZERO issues taking it and just riding it - but working on them as a hobby gig - and knowing what I know - I'd want the peace of mind knowing things were looked at, tires were replaced, I'd flush the fluids myself, etc.

By no means trying to scare you off - again - you may have zero issues - but when I hear about an 8 year old bike with less than 5k - I know it's sat A LOT. Did it sit in temperature controlled space or was it subjected to extreme heat/cold? How old is the gas and other fluids/etc. Why was it a garage queen? Bought to show off? Owner had an issue and just let it sit? Didn't like it? Whatever the reason - all that could factor into the decision making.

Again, just my 2+ cents.

EDIT: Let me add for clarity - For the right money - I'd buy it in a heartbeat - but I know I can check/do all of the above.
    Thanks for the info... I would absolutely change all the fluids and check the tires. The owner bought it a year or so ago and moved/changed jobs and he has a commute with a work vehicle so he rarely rides it. He says he always kept it in the garage but i dont know anything about the previous owner. I do know its an f3s with passenger seat, adjustable passenger backrest, can am cross country saddlebags, windshield, drive and passenger floorboards. In my estimation it's a good price but not a once in a lifetime sort of deal.

Spyder Garage

de...The only ones I would be leery of are those with real low mileage. To me, that means they were not loved. So probably not well taken care of either. Time unused is often more of a killer, than high miles.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    de...The only ones I would be leery of are those with real low mileage. To me, that means they were not loved. So probably not well taken care of either. Time unused is often more of a killer, than high miles.

Regards,

Don
    I think Jay Leno has over 300 Auto's and Mtc's in His collection, plus trucks .... how often do you think they are driven ????? JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-21-2023 at 11:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post

Regards,

Don
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think Jay Leno has over 300 Auto's and Mtc's in His collection, plus trucks .... how often do you think they are driven ????? JMHO .... Mike
    Don may have an over generalization - but it's a generalization based on some facts and one I agree with. Absolutely there are some out there that are babying their garage queen they don't want to put any miles on and I wonder why they bought it to begin with - but many others sit with no attention.

And Jay Leno is not the average Joe selling a low mileage machine. He's loaded money wise and whether he does or not - certainly has the money to pay folks to keep his low mileage rides in pristine condition and ready for him to enjoy at any moment.

You both make good points - but could be on very different ends of the spectrum.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine is trouble free

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 F3L bought from new. Zero problems. Though I'm still having trouble locating the side stand.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 F3 SE6. The only problem was the front sprocket going bad and breaking down on the road. THE DEALER IS THE PROBLEM!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2023 at 11:10 PM. Reason: he - the ;-)
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    2015 F3 and F3S share the same "sport" rear sprocket. (Only 2 F3 Models made)
    2016 F3, F3S, F3T, F3L share the same "sport" rear sprocket. (All F3 Models made)
    2017+ - F3T/L got the "touring" sprocket that is on the RT. F3S kept the "sport" sprocket. I'm not sure on the Base F3 but think it's the "touring" sprocket as well.
    Hello Jdr00ejr, I have two 2018 F3-T's that came with the larger 89 tooth rear sprocket. In 2019+ the only F3 with the larger sprocket is the F3-S.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

My 16 F3-T has been very boring from a repair standing. Besides maintenance, it's been a reliable, well behaved steed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-30-2023 at 05:37 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 17 F3 Ltd. When we parted it was to get a 22 Plasma Red SS. The 17, when I parked it for the last time, had 68K miles. It went all over the lower 48. The only issue was replacement of the front sprocket, which was done before it caused any problems.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

a big concern i have is the longevity of all the electronics such as the nanny and dess etc. If those fail what can be done?

Spyder Garage

a big concern i have is the longevity of all the electronics such as the nanny and dess etc. If those fail what can be done?
    I think the big thing is "IF" those fail. The only electronic component on the F3 lineup with a greater than average failure rate that I'm aware is the DESS module. I did replace mine on my 2015 - $150 and easy DIY repair. That said, now that I have BUDS, I'm going to just disable the DESS altogether.

In the event the electronics fail - and I"m not hearing about any others having major issues - you can replace them - nothing major has changed on the F3 lineup since it came out - so even the 2015s which are now 8+ years old can get parts for since they share parts with the new ones. Dash is different - but I bet a new dash could be fitted to an old machine if necessary. If not - there are still old dashes out there.

I guess what I'm saying is - me personally, I'm not worried about failing electronics on the older F3 models at all.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

There is near me a 2017 f3s. It only has 40 miles on it. They bought it new in 2018 and due to jobs and health issues just never rode it. So it sat in their garage under the cover. They said they just took it to have the oil changed. I am interested but also nervous that it basically sat for 5 years.

Spyder Garage

There is near me a 2017 f3s. It only has 40 miles on it. They bought it new in 2018 and due to jobs and health issues just never rode it. So it sat in their garage under the cover. They said they just took it to have the oil changed. I am interested but also nervous that it basically sat for 5 years.
    We have 2 2015 F3's at the shop. They are both very reliable. My feeling is that the older F3's are as reliable as the newer ones except for the front sprocket issue. Which is much more universal than the BRP recall admits to. And this is a covered 'Fix' (yet to be determinized if it actually resolves the problem or not).

The DESS issue is really no big deal as it is easily delegated. While there are many who have suffered issues with this system. The vast majority work just fine.

Sitting this long may present issues of it's own. Especially if it has been stored with ethanol fuel (pretty much a given). You will probably need a new battery. Drain the fuel. Put premium straight gasoline in with a heavy dose of fuel injector cleaner. Wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter, just because. They are inexpensive and not too hard to change.

Ride it for longer distances, if you can, through 2 or 3 tanks of straight gas doused with injector cleaner over a few weeks.

Get the oil hot and change it with the filter. Check tire pressures and the brake fluid and chances are, you'll be golden. The F3 is a great machine!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-28-2023 at 07:18 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have a ‘15 F3-S with 76,000 miles. Has been trouble free except for the front sprocket which has since been replaced with the “new” sprocket. Never a DESS issue. I plan on riding it until at least 100,000 miles before I decide to sell or trade. I would be cautious about the ‘17 F3L with such low mileage.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

We have two f3's. One a 19 and one a 20. One with over 20K and the other approaching 8K miles. We have had zero mechanical problems so far.

The consensus on the site concerning f3's seems to be good as far as mechanical problems are concerned. My biggest complaint about them, when they first came out, I thought they looked like a Dodge Truck from the front. I have got over that.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-28-2023 at 12:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red