Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket Correction at Dealership

I do not remember reading this, so if this was discussed prior I apologize for the duplication. My spyder went in for its yearly service - last year I had the sprocket replaced just prior to the recall. The dealer told me the replacement doen last year would be redone and replaced this servicing. I was told the sprocket was reworked and improved from what was done last year. Anyone else hear this?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

that does sound a bit strange??? I never heard a word that they redid the sprocket. wonder when that was done if in fact it was??? Just had my 2018 RT Limited into my dealership last week and after waiting 6 months for the sprocket part the tech found that my sprocket was just fine and did not need replacement... Maybe I did not have enough miles (9,000) to create the problem. anyway, the tech did show me I needed tires so now thinking of trading for a 2023????? Yes, I know new tires are less costly than a trade but what the heck, we only go around once in this world... :-)
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

There was a massive recall on the drive sprocket. You should have gotten something from BRP telling you this.
    You probably had the temporary fix done last year. The final sprocket has been released to address this.

Call your dealer and make sure that they have one as it most likely will need to be ordered!

There are several post's covering this, use the search function on the top right of the forum page.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    that does sound a bit strange??? I never heard a word that they redid the sprocket. wonder when that was done if in fact it was??? Just had my 2018 RT Limited into my dealership last week and after waiting 6 months for the sprocket part the tech found that my sprocket was just fine and did not need replacement... Maybe I did not have enough miles (9,000) to create the problem. anyway, the tech did show me I needed tires so now thinking of trading for a 2023????? Yes, I know new tires are less costly than a trade but what the heck, we only go around once in this world... :-)
    BIG F
    My understanding of the New Repair sprocket is the metallurgy may have changed ..... I know the New sprocket now has a washer that the old one didn't have ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

BIG F
    If your spyder was part of the recall then "You Do Need The New Sprocket". It was released toward the end of last year. Yours probably passed the inspection so no sprocket was replaced at the time but does ultimately need it now that the "Final" fix has been issued.

Spyder Garage

Not sure where you are in Pa but at my dealer the “new” sprockets ( sort of grey/greenish color) has not arrived yet. They were suppose to be in end of February first of March but was told they would be in starting the first week of April now. My dealer is taking service spots so they must be in or confirmed coming in. We’ve had off/on snow, rain, slush all season so no one is riding yet here. The dealer about 1 hour in Ohio can get them but they need ordered which takes a week or so. Not sure what the difference is between the 2 dealers why one has to order and the other has them on order. Mine goes in April 17th for the new sprocket. Was told it will take 2 days before I can pick up which is what the previous posts were saying to allow the lock tire to set. I’ll trailer it if I have to depending on the salt and brine.

And mine didn’t needed replaced last year either Big F but K80shooter is correct the new sprocket is to replace the older version no matter what. So you should have had it replaced. The dealer is required to replace the old style with new one as part of the recall.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 03-20-2023 at 11:33 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BIG F
    aannnnddddd, new tires????.........new bike???? The choice is clear!!!!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That could be true. My 2016 F3T had the sprocket replaced with the white sprocket in early 2022 or late 2021. But in late 2022 a new replacement came through and the white one was replaced.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Which years/models does this sprocket recall affect? I've got to bring my 2021 Spyder RTL in for a firmware flash; maybe kill two birds with one stone?
    Bill McGrath

1962 Matchless G80 500cc Single
    1967 Norton Atlas 750 with Dunstall kit
    1972 Honda CB450
    1981 Honda XL500R
    1983 Honda 750 Sabre
    1987 Honda 1100 Sabre
    2002 BMW K1200LT
    2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited with BR anti-sway bar and Garmin Zumo XT
    1969 Cessna 182 w/STOL kit, fully IFR

2021 Spyder RT Limited , Petrol (100LL if you're a pilot)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AE2WM View Post
    Which years/models does this sprocket recall affect? I've got to bring my 2021 Spyder RTL in for a firmware flash; maybe kill two birds with one stone?
    2020 and newer are not part of this recall.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

JimH, your BS meter with this dealer should be in the flaming red zone. If they don't know that there was a front sprocket recall, something is SERIOUSLY wrong. And I agree with Mike about the metallurgy of the new sprocket.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    JimH, your BS meter with this dealer should be in the flaming red zone. If they don't know that there was a front sprocket recall, something is SERIOUSLY wrong. And I agree with Mike about the metallurgy of the new sprocket.
    I have the utmost confidence in these guys, they fixed a couple of things another dealer could not. The first replacement was last year prior to the announced recall - several weeks before (red dust and ready to fail). It was replaced with the old faulty model - for yearly service since this was the faulty model, the updated version got put in. They understand Kenda tires are crap and listen to the customer.
    Jim
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

I just called my dealer to schedule an oil change for my 2017 and had hoped the front sprocket would also be replaced. According to the service department they still haven't received any of the new sprockets. I know BRP says even in the recall notice that there are supply chain issues but this is getting a little frustrating having to wait this long. So for now I suppose the only recall option is the "interim repair procedure".

I know some people have been able to get the new sprocket so I was a little shocked that my dealer has yet to see a single one arrive at their shop. How many of you are still waiting on the part being available?

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

I have an appointment in April for a full service and sprocket replacement, my dealer got an order of them in about 3 weeks ago. If your shop said they put the new sprocket in last year I would suspect that they put in the temporary one and would clear it with the shop.
    Last edited by johnv50; 03-21-2023 at 10:55 AM.
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post
    I have an appointment in April for a full service and sprocket replacement, my dealer got an order of them in about 3 weeks ago. If your shop said they put the new sprocket in last year I would suspect that they put in the temporary one and would clear it with the shop.
    I very strongly agree. The final repair was not available till the end of 2022. Theres no way it has the "FINAL" sprocket on it unless it was done at the end of the year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    I just called my dealer to schedule an oil change for my 2017 and had hoped the front sprocket would also be replaced. According to the service department they still haven't received any of the new sprockets. I know BRP says even in the recall notice that there are supply chain issues but this is getting a little frustrating having to wait this long. So for now I suppose the only recall option is the "interim repair procedure".

I know some people have been able to get the new sprocket so I was a little shocked that my dealer has yet to see a single one arrive at their shop. How many of you are still waiting on the part being available?
    Honestly I believe it has to do with the region and weather areas. I was told last fall that my dealer wouldn’t get them till March and not to even think about scheduling till April. While others were getting them last fall. I think BRP sent them based on weather areas. For me and probably even you in SD you can’t even start riding till late March to April. So I can see their logic, send the ones to the areas that can install now and if they don’t and the stock runs out in that time, to bad their fault in that area they had the chance. Rotate now to you my area now because it’s getting close to our starting time. therefore they are also not getting behind in stocking and eventually evenly distributing them to all the areas. I might be completely wrong but normally we still have a month left of snow still here. Whereas mid ohio, southern PA, mid and eastern PA are already in the 60’s and riding. I might be wrong but I was told the same thing happened in 2013 with the last major recall. They did it in regions and areas based on usage.

As a side note it’s good you aren’t the first for the dealer. Even with the training, videos etc…….The best tech in the world still learns from the first and second install even if they are the best. In my opinion the old pulley was holding together so even if I have to wait till May or even first of June as long as its only sitting for 2 days and the part is available I am still able to ride with the old pulley and feel safe about it. I am scheduled for April 17th but was told that could change if they didn’t arrive. So my dealer will be seeing the first pulleys this week or next. I guessing you will be seeing them in the next couple weeks starting to show in your area too.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 03-21-2023 at 12:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Question: Has anyone that is not in the recall tried to buy the new sprocket?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2023 at 05:35 PM. Reason: in - is ;-)
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

According to Shawn Smoak, in his YouTube posts, if the dealer is using the proper and required Loctite number there is no need for it to set up. The unit should be rideable immediately.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman47 View Post
    According to Shawn Smoak, in his YouTube posts, if the dealer is using the proper and required Loctite number there is no need for it to set up. The unit should be rideable immediately.
    Are you talking interim sprocket or replacement. If replacement you have the story arse about tit. He specifically warns to use the correct loctite and to follow the manufacturers guidelines or legal liabilities in the event of a malfunction could occur.
    Post a link if you have the evidence.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

MY RE-POST

THE NEW REPLACEMENT SPROCKET IS SILVER

I have a copy of the Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
    Required parts, front sprocket kit, (includes washer)219800553 needed 1
    listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
    use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
    No cure time listed.

CHECK THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DEALER PAPERWORK!

Way too much misinformation on this issue since the start of the problem,
    We need everyone on the same page in the same book.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    MY RE-POST

No cure time listed.

T.P.
    The one I saw a couple weeks ago on my friends RT in another state was a very very flat silver more like pewter greenish color. I see pewter green but others might see silver. His new one (recall package) replaced the white one and there was definitely a different color from that one. It is raw metal flat maybe aluminum looking but I don’t consider it silver shine at all. His dealer had a cure time of 24 hours also. Even Lamont was and is doing A 24 rest before putting any hard use for cure time. Might not say cure time, but I have now heard of 3 different dealers or installers doing the 24 hour cure time and none of them are in the same state even.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 03-21-2023 at 06:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    MY RE-POST

No cure time listed.

T.P.

The cure time is listed on the Loctite website. Pointless using it if the instructions aren't followed. BRP could shift the blame to dealers if something occured. Shawn Smoak has seen it all happen before and put out the warning to all.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Had mine replaced today at Jim Potts in Woodstock Illinois, Took about 2 hours tech also aligned belt which was out of spec they used loctite #609 shop said it didn't need to sit for 24 hrs but just rode home 12 miles and parked it to let it sit 24hrs anyway. old sprocket didn't show any rust at over 20,000 miles. I put on over 4000 miles since interim check. 2015 RT L
    2015 RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

Update from my dealer: They only received 12 new recall kits and all have been installed. They are now required to have the spyder come in, they verify vin number vs recall that it needs the sprocket, sprocket ordered, drive off the lot and the sprocket should be in 2 weeks later. Once the allotment is sent and used, dealers have to call in for replacements after they see and verify the bikes vin. Atleast that is what I was just told from my April 17th drop off. I don’t even have to leave the spyder. It’s a 5 minute in and out deal they said to order then bring it back when its arrived and leave for 24 hours.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Update from my dealer: They only received 12 new recall kits and all have been installed. They are now required to have the spyder come in, they verify vin number vs recall that it needs the sprocket, sprocket ordered, drive off the lot and the sprocket should be in 2 weeks later. Once the allotment is sent and used, dealers have to call in for replacements after they see and verify the bikes vin. Atleast that is what I was just told from my April 17th drop off. I don’t even have to leave the spyder. It’s a 5 minute in and out deal they said to order then bring it back when its arrived and leave for 24 hours.
    That 5 minute pre “in and out” to check Vin is going to be fun for those who have a 2 hour+ ride to the dealer, Wmoater. …..I imagine that may change

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red