Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    So this weekend i did a trip from central florida to miami, 2up and all the luggage you can fit on a F3t at 57 was avg 39.5, at 65 was 36. Lot of wind. BLR tune, cat delete,. 19" freedom windshield. Front oem tires 16.5,oem rear 26
    Why those pressures? I do 20 & 30

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by linguine View Post
    Pedal Commander info is all over this Forum.

ECU Stage 2 tune was by the former guy who owned it. It involves removing the ECU and sending it to WickIt. None of that would have ever been done by this 78 year old. That's for younger hands and backs. LOL.
    What is ECU stage 2 and what does it do.
    How can I get much better MPG?

Spyder Garage

The problem I see with the pedal commander is that there are too many choices for me. I would get lost trying to figure it out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    What is ECU stage 2 and what does it do.
    How can I get much better MPG?
    As I posted before:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Check the thread below out - there's a lot more if you search tho.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...der-Discussion

Re the ECU Upgrade, or Engine Control Unit Upgrade, it's simply an upgrade to the Computer that controls the engine's performance, ie, the ECU, and if you're after details about the different stages or costs of that, you should probably talk to Monster or Wick-It, the (most widely discussed here) providers of these upgrades for Spyder/Rykers in your part of the World; but again, if you look around, there's heaps of info on the Forum about them & the various upgrades too.

Good Luck!
    As for getting much better MPG, you either learn to ride your Spyder as smoothly as you can while keeping the engine revs in/around their most efficient range (and that doesn't necessarily mean riding slowly everywhere or slavishly following the green ECO light on the newer Spyders); or you get an ECU Upgrade done on your bike for your riding style/needs/wants that's aimed at maximising the economy your bike can achieve with those caveats.

However, be warned that if you do stress fuel economy as the most critical factor in the tune/ECU Upgrade you get done by any tuner, your bike probably won't be all nice to ride in traffic &/or ever that much fun to ride anywhere else afterwards, but it is doable - you can get the engine tuned via an ECU Upgade/mod to maximise fuel economy rather than aiming for any degree of rideability, efficiency, and/or performance.

But regardless of what you do/how you try to achieve "much better fuel economy", the most significant requirement to achieve that end is that YOU learn how to & then always ride/operate the bike in a way that always seeks to maximising fuel economy at the expense of everything else!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-30-2023 at 01:41 AM. Reason: IHowever :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I know the majority of the problem is me.
    I was riding yesterday with 2 other riders. An old Harley and a fairly new trike. My new bike is so much more responsive than my 2018, but not anywhere as responsive as the other 2 bikes I was with.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply, Mike!! I feel better now...

I do have a weird thing happening. My odometer total mileage is going backwards. I should have roughly 1600 miles, but at 1000 miles the total miles started going backwards. Now I have 571 miles... I also get a VSS fault C1290 only after restarting warm, like after fill-ups. Dealer is waiting for BRP to reply after 2 months.

I also have faults B2A230, 231, 240, and 241. Dealer has never seen these posted and again BRP has no reply. All the faults including VSS are voltage related. I just replaced the battery after 3 months of ownership with an AGM 340 CCA today, and now the starter cranks faster and smoother.

Maybe everything will self-correct?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2023 at 01:29 AM. Reason: batter - battery; 3 moths - 3 months
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wes0228s View Post

I do have a weird thing happening. My odometer total mileage is going backwards. I should have roughly 1600 miles, but at 1000 miles the total miles started going backwards. Now I have 571 miles... I also get a VSS fault C1290 only after restarting warm, like after fill-ups. Dealer is waiting for BRP to reply after 2 months.

I also have faults B2A230, 231, 240, and 241. Dealer has never seen these posted and again BRP has no reply. All the faults including VSS are voltage related. I just replaced the battery after 3 months of ownership with an AGM 340 CCA today, and now the starter cranks faster and smoother.

You might check to make sure that you're not viewing the trip miles instead of odometer miles.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    Well I'm in manatee county if you want to compare.

Noise that is.
    Thanks for the laugh, Slice. I had to clean up a little bit of coffee on that one.
    Noise - this is the quietest bike I've owned, including engine noise and exhaust. Wind noise at interstate speed is probably more than my previous bikes, but managable.
    Fuel milage - I start thinking about filling up at 150 miles on the tripometer. If we are slabbing it, I'm usually ready to stop by then anyway. If it is commuting or day rides, I push it a little further. Calculated (not computer) MPG is around 30-33-ish. Squeezing all the fuel you can in to the tank depends on the sensitivity of the pump you are at. I try to get it full to the top every time, but if the pump doesn't trickle well, I call it good enough. I hate splashing fuel around.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Before you know it, you will have a brand new Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Update on the amount of fuel. The fuel light came on and I filled it up. It took 5.18 gallons. That's about the same as my 2018.
    I now have 1,500 miles on the bike and I'm getting 30 MPG. Hoping it get's better when it's broken in

Spyder Garage

I just went 72 miles……used 1.9 gallons which equals 36 mpg!!!

Spyder Garage

I've had my 2022 RT Limited since November. My average MPG is 29.457 mpg. In that time, my best was 42.04 mpg and the worst was 26.199 mpg. Most of my riding is commuting to/from work, 20 miles each way in stop and go city traffic. I did take an 1100 mile trip over Easter weekend, and highway miles definitely increases the mpg. Hope this info is useful.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Here are three calculated results based on the mileage traveled on a full tank and the number of liters required to refill it again.

2022-12-21 Fuel Economy.jpg 2023-04-10 Fuel Economy.jpg 2023-04-23 Fuel Economy.jpg
    Last edited by GFrog; 05-04-2023 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Typo
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    Here are three calculated results based on the mileage traveled on a full tank and the number of liters required to refill it again.

2022-12-21 Fuel Economy.jpg 2023-04-10 Fuel Economy.jpg 2023-04-23 Fuel Economy.jpg
    That's about 120 miles on 4.5 gallons which is close to 30 MPG

Spyder Garage

Cool Your milage should improve once broken in.

=

I average 39 to 40+ MPG if I keep it below 70 MPH. Stock exhaust, modified intake with a K&N filter, ECU Stage 1. I don't have any trouble keeping up with any cruzer. And walk away from all s ( except the larger rear sprocket F3s). Stage 2 ECU really wants 93 octane fuel which sometimes is unavailable in the middle of flipping no where Nevada.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One other thing to consider.......I’m “old school” Canadian. Different size gallons. U.S. gallons is 128 fl. oz. Imperial gallon is 160 fl. oz. Prior to our going metric, we used the Imperial gallon and I still figure my mileage in mpg. (Thats miles per Imperial gallon). My ‘14 RTS averages 45 - 50 mpg. Just thought I’d throw a small nail into this discussion.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    One other thing to consider.......I’m “old school” Canadian. Different size gallons. U.S. gallons is 128 fl. oz. Imperial gallon is 160 fl. oz. Prior to our going metric, we used the Imperial gallon and I still figure my mileage in mpg. (Thats miles per Imperial gallon). My ‘14 RTS averages 45 - 50 mpg. Just thought I’d throw a small nail into this discussion.
    Never got anywhere near that

Spyder Garage

I get the VSS warning/code only I fill the gas tank.

Spyder Garage

Soon you will have a brand new bike

Spyder Garage

Agreed with the 24 to 28 mpg on a new Rt. I have a new sea to sky and that’s what I’m getting for the first 1200 miles .

Take Care All .

Spyder Garage

I don’t trust the fuel gauge to be very accurate. Filling the Spyder at the gas station never gives me a truly full tank. I usually bring my 5.5 gallon gas tank with me to fill up when I fill my car up. I use this to top off the Spyder when I get home. Because the fuel gauge is not very reliable throughout its fuel usage range I can’t help to think that the fuel economy the instrument cluster shows to be valid too. I have no idea what my exact mileage per gallon I achieve on the Spyder but I can tell you it’s no economy cruiser. When my wife and I take our Spyders out for a long ride together it’s really not economical as if we rode together in our Lincoln Corsair but it is enjoyable. I get a little better mileage on my 2021 than my wife’s 2022. I don’t think hers will be improving until she puts a lot more miles on it. I get about 250 miles per full tank with my method of filling. I seldom run the Spyder less than 1/4 full on the gauge. My MPG isn’t as important as my FPG, Fun Per Gallon.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2023 at 02:30 PM. Reason: than ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

I filled up today. My gauge was below empty and it only took 5.2 gallons

20230506_181711.jpg

20230506_182245.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2023 at 10:53 PM. Reason: :

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I filled up today. My gauge was below empty and it only took 5.2 gallons....
    That's just an indication of how inaccurate the gas gauge is - but you REALLY DON'T ever want to run it 'til it's really empty, cos that WILL damage the fuel pump, which is immersed in the gas remaining in the tank and uses that gas as both coolant & lubricant, so when the level gets too low, there's not enough gas to dissipate all the heat nor enough to lube the very fine tolerances in the pump itself! The damage might only be microscopic initially, but it'll sloooowly get worse with every rotation of that pump - and when you're running the engine, it rotates a whole lot! Eventually, it'll start reducing the pump's ability to provide gas to the injector system at sufficient pressure to run properly &/or economically, and your fuel economy will really get bad!!

Your Spyder's engine isn't bedded in properly yet; these modern engines take a good 4-5000 miles to bed in properly and start getting their best fuel economy, so you've got a while to go yet!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I don't normally run it that low just couldn.t find a gas station when I needed one

Spyder Garage

On my 2022 it is at 1400 miles on it and it’s averaging 26 mpg