Spyder Garage

Default I made the little guys day

Today was such a nice day I decided to take a ride to Spokane, WA. I stopped at my favorite pizza joint for lunch then went to a store do buy some cold cuts for sandwiches. On my way home I noticed I was at 63 MTE (miles to empty). I was looking at a 60 mile ride so I decided not to take any chances and stopped at a gas station to fill up.

When I was done at the pumps I pulled away and off to the side to update my fuel log. As I was sitting there I happened to look in my left hand mirror and saw a young boy, maybe 7-8 years old running up behind me. He got along side my bike and asked if he could check it out.

I told him sure and asked if he wanted to give it a try. His face lit up and he said yeah, really excited. I turned the engine off for safety, got off and allowed the little guy to climb up on my Spyder. For a few minutes he got to imagine he was sailing down the highway, twisting the throttle and beeping the horn. He said it was pretty cool.

I heard his Dad come up and ask him if he checked it out and the boy said yes, to which his Dad thanked me. I’m pretty sure that made that little guys day. First time that ever happened to me.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Very good Greg. An old rider once told me to wave at the little kids, for they are the future riders. It doesn't cost anything to be nice to a child and it pays big dividends.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2023 at 08:30 AM. Reason: me to ; + ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You did good, Greg. Taking time for the younger ones is more important than we can know. I commend you!

I stopped at a Jack in the Box just east of Nashville on a solo road trip to KC. I was on my way back. I pulled up where I would be able to see my Spyder as I ate my meal. As I removed my gear I noticed 3 young black boys in the window right in front of me. One of them pointed at my Spyder and I could see they were all interested. I mention skin color not because it is important to me. But it seems to be a pivotal factor to many. It is an unfortunate reality.

I ordered, sat down and ate. To my surprise, the boys didn't seem to be in any hurry. They were still sitting at their table as I got up to leave. I tipped my hat to the boys, so to speak, as I headed out the door. They politely returned the gesture. They appeared to be brothers, though they could have been just friends. I'd say about 2 years apart. 8-10 & 12 years old maybe.

I wouldn't say they followed me outside. But as I pulled my gear out of the frunk they kind of wandered by on the sidewalk in front of me. Maybe they were going to pass by, maybe they intended to stop. But as they approached I asked them if they might have any questions about my ride. The two older boys were pretty stoic, shaking their heads, no. But they youngest's eyes lit up and he said, 'That is a real cool bike, mister'.

I asked him if he'd like to sit on it. He immediately said 'Yes!'. But the oldest one grabbed his hand and said 'No'. The little guy looked pretty sad as he lamented with an 'Oohhh'. I had the feeling that the oldest one was a bit skeptical about the motives of this old white guy. Could have been wrong, of course. But I said to the youngest one. 'You are welcome to sit on my bike. But it looks like you'll need permission. He then turned to the older boy who still had grasp of his hand and did a little pleading. I think my support for his authority to make the final decision made the difference and he said, 'OK'.

The little guy started to climb up but it was a large order for him to stand on the peg and throw a leg over the seat. He wasn't quite sure how to do it and it was a long reach to the handlebars. I offered to help but he wanted to do it himself. As the 2 older boys looked on intently. The youngest was having the time of his life. The oldest boy produced a cell phone and took a picture of his beaming face.

Shortly, the boy dismounted and I made the same offer to the other 2 boys. The oldest one shook his head, NO. But the middle boy, somewhat sheepishly, said he'd like to try it. Though a much more subdued boy on the outside. It was clear that he greatly appreciated the opportunity. And shortly, he was also done after getting his picture taken as well.

I then just looked at the oldest buy, repeating the offer silently this time. The other two boys encouraged the oldest to do it so they could take his picture. Reluctantly, at least on the outside, he asked if it was OK and climbed on. He sat there for a minute and I asked him if he would like to start it for me. The other 2 boys excitedly encouraged him to do it, as he shook his head, no. It was apparent that the younger 2 held the oldest in very high esteem. And I think that is what convinced him. I don't think he wanted to disappoint them.

I had him turn on the IPS key cover, ran it through the sequence and had him push the start button. It fired to life and I told him to twist the throttle a bit. I am sure he was quite proud of himself and there were, no doubt, points scored with the 2 younger ones.

He got off and we parted ways. I will never forget the encounter. I have a feeling they had a story to tell when they got home. It was one of the best moments in my life. It just took a little time out of my day.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-19-2023 at 12:43 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Pegasus 100%. Whenever possible I always wave to the kids (teens not so much). I also slow right down whenever passing mothers walking with, or pushing a stroller and 90% of the time I get a thank you wave in return. It cost me nothing and helps the general public appreciate the motorcyclists.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice move guys. What goes around comes around.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You did good, Greg. Taking time for the younger ones is more important than we can know. I commend you!

I stopped at a Jack in the Box just east of Nashville on a solo road trip to KC. I was on my way back. I pulled up where I would be able to see my Spyder as I ate my meal. As I removed my gear I noticed 3 young black boys in the window right in front of me. One of them pointed at my Spyder and I could see they were all interested. I mention skin color not because it is important to me. But it seems to be a pivotal factor to many. It is an unfortunate reality.

I ordered, sat down and ate. To my surprise, the boys didn't seem to be in any hurry. They were still sitting at their table as I got up to leave. I tipped my hat to the boys, so to speak, as I headed out the door. They politely returned the gesture. They appeared to be brothers, though they could have been just friends. I'd say about 2 years apart. 8-10 & 12 years old maybe.

I wouldn't say they followed me outside. But as I pulled my gear out of the frunk they kind of wandered by on the sidewalk in front of me. Maybe they were going to pass by, maybe they intended to stop. But as they approached I asked them if they might have any questions about my ride. The two older boys were pretty stoic, shaking their heads, no. But they youngest's eyes lit up and he said, 'That is a real cool bike, mister'.

I asked him if he'd like to sit on it. He immediately said 'Yes!'. But the oldest one grabbed his hand and said 'No'. The little guy looked pretty sad as he lamented with an 'Oohhh'. I had the feeling that the oldest one was a bit skeptical about the motives of this old white guy. Could have been wrong, of course. But I said to the youngest one. 'You are welcome to sit on my bike. But it looks like you'll need permission. He then turned to the older boy who still had grasp of his hand and did a little pleading. I think my support for his authority to make the final decision made the difference and he said, 'OK'.

The little guy started to climb up but it was a large order for him to stand on the peg and throw a leg over the seat. He wasn't quite sure how to do it and it was a long reach to the handlebars. I offered to help but he wanted to do it himself. As the 2 older boys looked on intently. The youngest was having the time of his life. The oldest boy produced a cell phone and took a picture of his beaming face.

Shortly, the boy dismounted and I made the same offer to the other 2 boys. The oldest one shook his head, NO. But the middle boy, somewhat sheepishly, said he'd like to try it. Though a much more subdued boy on the outside. It was clear that he greatly appreciated the opportunity. And shortly, he was also done after getting his picture taken as well.

I then just looked at the oldest buy, repeating the offer silently this time. The other two boys encouraged the oldest to do it so they could take his picture. Reluctantly, at least on the outside, he asked if it was OK and climbed on. He sat there for a minute and I asked him if he would like to start it for me. The other 2 boys excitedly encouraged him to do it, as he shook his head, no. It was apparent that the younger 2 held the oldest in very high esteem. And I think that is what convinced him. I don't think he wanted to disappoint them.

I had him turn on the IPS key cover, ran it through the sequence and had him push the start button. It fired to life and I told him to twist the throttle a bit. I am sure he was quite proud of himself and there were, no doubt, points scored with the 2 younger ones.

He got off and we parted ways. I will never forget the encounter. I have a feeling they had a story to tell when they got home. It was one of the best moments in my life. It just took a little time out of my day.
    It is not just little guys that you can win over to our type of motorcycling.

Last week I was at Village Inn, and one of the waitresses asked if she could take my Spyder for a spin. I have known her for quite a while and said perhaps in the parking lot next door. She said no just around the restaurant building. I said okay and parked at the entrance to the restaurant. I put her in the front seat and I was in the back. She rode around the building slow (about 3 miles per hour). When we got back around to the entrance. She got off very elated, and I saw 6 of the employees out in front with their cameras

Hopefully they all enjoyed it and think differently about motorcycles.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2023 at 04:57 PM. Reason: just ;-)

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Very good Greg. An old rider once told me to wave at the little kids, for they are the future riders. It doesn't cost anything to be nice to a child and it pays big dividends.
    I do it almost every day!! I'm still a little kid at heart!
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I ride ours to church quite often in the summer time. When we do she knows that we will be there long after the service ends. It is rides in the parking lot for the littelest ones, some so little they sit on the seat on front of me, and rides around the block for the little older ones. Every now and then a young man will say "lets go fast" so we hit about 20mph in the parking lot, to them that is flying. Finaly the pastor gets is turn at running around the parking lot. He says he wont take it in the road because he will get hooked on it. With one girl in collage and one in high school he said that wouldn't be good at this time in life. I know he is already hooked, it will happen in time.

Then we get on it and take the long way home.

The smiles on the faces are priceless!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a feeling that there are many Spyder Ambassadors among us.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

wicked awesome (read that with a boston accent)