Spyder Garage

Default Heated grips — do they work if the Spyder is idling?

I had a look at a 2017 RT Limited today and the heated grips didn’t get warm while idling for maybe a minute.

It’s still winter so I couldn’t try it on the road, but seller said he thinks they’ll heat up when the RPMs are over 2000 — does that sound right? I checked the owners manual but it doesn’t say anything about that.

Thanks,
    Rod

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The heated grips are one of the items that is fed through the load shedding relay. That relay turns on when the engine is running, so yes, they should heat up when it is idling. They don't get very warm very fast so maybe you just didn't wait long enough.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't let mine just sit and idle, but takes about a mile or two to get really warm.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies!

And thinking about it a bit more, it dawned on me that there are foam wraps on the grips so that could be why I didn't feel them heat up.
    It's been 9 years since I last had a Spyder and obviously didn't remember what the stock grips look like.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RodO View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

And thinking about it a bit more, it dawned on me that there are foam wraps on the grips so that could be why I didn't feel them heat up.
    It's been 9 years since I last had a Spyder and obviously didn't remember what the stock grips look like.
    It's not the foam grips. I have them on my 2020 RTL and they heat up just fine.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I had my Spyder for a couple of winters before I added foam grips, and in cold weather, like down around freezing, it did take longer for the heated grips to be felt through the foam grips, but they still got nice and warm.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I had my Spyder for a couple of winters before I added foam grips, and in cold weather, like down around freezing, it did take longer for the heated grips to be felt through the foam grips, but they still got nice and warm.
    Same here. I had some thicker foam before, then I bought the thinner foam from Pierre (canamspyderparts.com). They still don't get as warm or nearly as fast.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my 14 RT, I made my own grip covers from EDP foam (like on wet suits) and covered them with Deer skin .... I can feel the heat (does take a bit longer) at 45° + F ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2023 at 01:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

Mine will, but I am running old iron, if that makes a difference.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    It's not the foam grips. I have them on my 2020 RTL and they heat up just fine.
    Same here on my '21 RTL.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I haven't dissected a set of Spyder grips, but if they are anything like motorcycle heated grips, it will naturally take a little time for you to feel the warmth. That's because the heating element is under the rubber grip, and it just takes a few minutes for the heat to conduct through that rubber. When it's cold out, I typically start the Spyder as soon as I get to the shop and turn on the grips then don my helmet and gloves. By the time I've done that, the grips are toasty warm.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I start my RT up, turn on the heated grips, put on a jacket, helmet and gloves while it idles. They warmed up on idle. So YES!!

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Your voltage will be somewhat lower at idle than at speed. This will slow the rate of heating.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 1330cc alternator generates about 30% more power at idling/slow speeds low RPM than at higher road speeds. I believe the alternator field strength is reduced at road speeds to improve mileage.

A caution: do not try to increase heated grip output by tying the Lo and Hi power wires together. All three grip wires (Lo, Hi, Gnd) are 20AWG so tying Hi and Lo wires together puts both their currents through the Gnd wire which will overheat it.

The solution is the P=EI equation so get a 12-19V buck convertor then feed it's output through a standard vest heat controller (they all can accept 19V) then into the grips Hi wires. You will still need to be careful not to overheat the grips themselves but they should accommodate the 30% increase 19V will provide.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I had the dealer install the BRP heated grips for the Spyder F3S and at -8C/20 F, with just one heat setting they are minimal at best built for the southern USA weather. Next step will be to adapt some sled type wind deflectors to fit the larger handle bars on the Spyder.

On the sleds you get multiple settings (throttle lever and thumb) and with light gloves and wind deflectors riding at -15C or slightly below I am usually set just above medium. On the older quad (Outlander) you have two settings low and high not so on the Spyder.

The hand warmers on the sleds and quads get warmer (from idle) with increased engine RPM as you do not reach full power in the charging system until 4000 RPM which may be different on the Spyder as Bert stated?