Spyder Garage

Default Dual horns - will the factory circuit support a 2nd horn?

Does anyone know if the factory horn circuit on a 2018 f3 limited can support a second horn ? TY
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2023 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread... & expanded title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker01 View Post
    Does anyone know if the factory horn circuit on a 2018 f3 limited can support a second horn ? TY

I added one more horn from Autozone right next to the stock horn on my 2014 RTL .... nice and loud now with good tone. NO Problems.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Dual horn kits from Lamonster and Sling Mods work … so I guess the answer is yes.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have dual Bad Boy air horns mounted on our F3 models. Wired in a 40 amp relay direct to battery, energized by OEM horn circuit, leaving the OEM horn is "play", too. Followed Kevin Story's lead with using different tones, creating a train horn dissonance. The less load difference one places on the CANBUS system, the better. Also, the switch in the handlebars is not rated for high amperage draw.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker01 View Post
    Depends on total amperage. Keep it below 10 amps, it may be okay.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I used a relay kit from Amazon to connect dual horns. I'm not sure it was necessary. But it seemed to be in doubt. This kit switches full power from the battery to the horns via a relay switch activated by the factory horn button circuit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRHorst View Post
    I used a relay kit from Amazon to connect dual horns. I'm not sure it was necessary. But it seemed to be in doubt. This kit switches full power from the battery to the horns via a relay switch activated by the factory horn button circuit.
    Probably a good idea to do it that way, cos if your dual horns happen to draw too much in the way of amperage & you operate them for too long, melting the switch that's an integral part of the Handgrip Control Module could be expensive!

Mind you, I haven't seen that happen to a Spyder horn button (not yet, anyway! ) probably cos they don't stay on for hours at a time... But I know for a fact that running too many extra lights without a relay that draw too much in the way of amperage thru the light switch can end up in a way that's not really pretty, and if you're lucky, it'll only be 'mildly expensive' to replace the entire handgrip when the switch itself &/or its wiring melts But it's not gonna be anywhere near so 'mild' in the expense department if the switch &/or wiring ignites the plastic &/or wiring insulation & the whole bike burns! You'll really wanta hope that your Insurance Co is sympathetic!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2023 at 08:47 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

As others have said, if you are looking to add a full blown air horn like Lamont’s 18” long ones, no it won’t support it.
    But…….you can certainly use the stock horn wiring and connectors if you replace your stock horn with something like the Wolo Bad Boy. It is designed to be plug and play. I believe Spyderpops description hasn’t been updated to include later model F3. I had one on my ‘16 F3 and now on my ‘21 RT.

https://spyderpops.com/the-bad-boy-h...odels-2015-16/

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red