Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Bugs !@#$@# What will get them off?!

Last Fall I took 2 short trips, back to back, without washing the bike. After returning from the last ride I parked the bike and started helping my daughter rebuild the retaining wall across the front of her yard. On Oct 31,'22 I got knocked off a trailer, landed in the street and fractured my right hip. That was a 5 day stay in the hospital, 3 screws added to support the bone, and many physical therapy sessions for recovery. I now have lots of bugs on my '21 RTL that are big, dry, and not coming off. What do you use to remove old bugs without scratching the very soft paint?? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Charlie
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2023 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Soak with a spray of 50% water and 50% peroxide.
    I use this mixture to get bugs out of my F3T radiators.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Good advise, Haze. I take a thick towel that will cover the area. Get it soaked with warm water and just a hint of mild soap. Lay it over the area and let it soak for a while. Don't let it get anywhere near dry. Doing this out of the wind and sun will help. Take the towel off and wipe (don't rub or scrub) with a soft, damp cloth. Whatever does not come off easily, just repeat the process. I've never had to do this more than 2 cycles.

This works well on helmet face shields as well. Especially mirrored. Just keep the water lukewarm and use a very small amount of soap.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2023 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Lat - Lay ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flylow View Post
    Last Fall I took 2 short trips, back to back, without washing the bike. After returning from the last ride I parked the bike and started helping my daughter rebuild the retaining wall across the front of her yard. On Oct 31,'22 I got knocked off a trailer, landed in the street and fractured my right hip. That was a 5 day stay in the hospital, 3 screws added to support the bone, and many physical therapy sessions for recovery. I now have lots of bugs on my '21 RTL that are big, dry, and not coming off. What do you use to remove old bugs without scratching the very soft paint?? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Charlie
    I 2nd the very soft paint. I was amazed how fast bug guts etched the paint on my '22. I eventually had to use a mini DA polisher to remove the etching. A full size would have worked but the mini works well around the Spyders contours. Hopefully using one of the methods above will remove the bugs but don't be surprised if the paint has been etched. No matter what the results are, be sure to get a good ceramic or graphene coating on it after you get it smooth. The etching won't happen again.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Charlie, I've got "Bug Stains" on my 2020RTL, hope someone can give you an answer. I try to keep it clean, but if the
    nasty guts get left on the painted surface in the heat of the sun for more than a day I haven't found anything to get
    rid of that stain. The paint on my 20+ is some soft crap compared to my 2012 RT paint! Good Luck...Bill..
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

dollar tree, stuff called AWESOME just melts the bug off,, you must re-wax though.

Spyder Garage

FWIW...., my neighbor, an auto painter & bodyshop manager, told me that most waterbased paint & clearcoats on these new vehicles are "soft". Bug "splats", if left on too long, will etch these
    coatings; he recommended a high quality ceramic wax.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

I use the Harley Davidson (I came from the Harley/Triumph world) bug remover. The product is activated by water to prevent scratching or etching. I have been using it for years on my HD CVOs and other bikes/cars with no issues. Just follow the directions and the bugs literally slide off surfaces.

93600022_TT-2569387479.jpg

2022 RT Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    Nothing Special Yet!
    2022 RT Sea to Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I use a 3M Doodlebug White Cleaning Pad 8440 for my vehicles. Along with a decent wash n wax.
    I like the towel idea. Majic.

Spyder Garage

A few years ago, I posed the same question on the North American Biker Rescue Facebook page. The overwhelming response was full strength peroxide and a micro-fiber cloth. I was skeptical so ran that solution by the senior scientist I was working for at the time in an analytical chemistry lab. He thought it over for a few second and then replied with, "it's highly likely that the peroxide reacts with the enzymes that make up bug remains and melts them." That was good enough for me and I have been using it ever since on both the paint and windshields on our Spyder and all of the BMWs in the stable.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    A few years ago, I posed the same question on the North American Biker Rescue Facebook page. The overwhelming response was full strength peroxide and a micro-fiber cloth. I was skeptical so ran that solution by the senior scientist I was working for at the time in an analytical chemistry lab. He thought it over for a few second and then replied with, "it's highly likely that the peroxide reacts with the enzymes that make up bug remains and melts them." That was good enough for me and I have been using it ever since on both the paint and windshields on our Spyder and all of the BMWs in the stable.
    When I look on Amazon, I do not find Peroxide, but what I do find is Hydrogen Peroxide. Is that what you’re referring to?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    When I look on Amazon, I do not find Peroxide, but what I do find is Hydrogen Peroxide. Is that what you’re referring to?
    That's the one. What you get at the store is normally 3% and is all you want to work with. Amazing what it can do. Once you get up to about 20% it starts getting hard to handle. 40+ is a nightmare.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Once a year I apply a good coat of RejeX to my bike. It keeps bugs and other stuff from sticking to surfaces. It's a Palamar coating that goes on like wax, but it's not a wax. It's slipperier and shinier than wax. In between coatings I use just water and microfiber cloths that remove everything I encounter on the road.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2023 at 07:29 AM. Reason: slippier - slipperier; shinner - shinier ;-)
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Yes, sorry we always just referred to it as peroxide in the lab--old habits.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your suggestions on bug removal and prevention. The temperatures are to be in the 60's and 70's next week so I'll start the cleaning process then. A good soak, then wash, followed with suggestions from above. They may not all come off, without some etching left behind, but the bike will be clean and ready to ride. Thanks again,

Charlie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Once a year I apply a good coat of RejeX to my bike. It keeps bugs and other stuff from sticking to surfaces. It's a Palamar coating that goes on like wax, but it's not a wax. It's slipperier and shinier than wax. In between coatings I use just water and microfiber cloths that remove everything I encounter on the road.....
    I use Rejex also, makes bug removal a breeze. I use it on all my vehicles, including the class-A motorhome. That thing is a fantastic bug killer, but the bugs wipe right off. Just wish that Rejex would protect the huge windshield from rocks!
    2019 RTL , Blue

Spyder Garage

Do you use Rejex on your Spyder windshields?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Good advise, Haze. I take a thick towel that will cover the area. Get it soaked with warm water and just a hint of mild soap. Lay it over the area and let it soak for a while. Don't let it get anywhere near dry. Doing this out of the wind and sun will help. Take the towel off and wipe (don't rub or scrub) with a soft, damp cloth. Whatever does not come off easily, just repeat the process. I've never had to do this more than 2 cycles.

This works well on helmet face shields as well. Especially mirrored. Just keep the water lukewarm and use a very small amount of soap.
    Yes, I totally agree with BajaRon. I've also used this technique for years. It may take a little more time, but well worth the effort so you don't scratch the surface.
    One small improvement, if I may.
    After you have all the surfaces clean, I recommend using Honda Spray Polish, or a similar product, to put a nice glassy sheen on the bike, and add a non-stick layer to protect the bike from further bugs or dirt sticking.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have found regular old windshield washer fluid works really well.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Wash it with a dryer sheet. Dryer sheets make easy work of bug removal.
    Bruce
    Yorktown, VA
    '08 Spyder GS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorRider View Post
    Do you use Rejex on your Spyder windshields?
    i use Plexus on the Spyder windshield with a microfiber cloth.
    2019 RTL , Blue

Spyder Garage

Our product works great for removing bugs. That's all we use here at the shop.
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/auto...professionals/

Spyder Garage

I have found that regular use of Lamonster's Detailer and Matte Detailer keeps the bug juice from sticking and makes cleaning the stuff off a breeze. Great product. Even water spots wipe right off. I use it on the entire trike.

Life is not good or bad, it's just Life. Deal with it!

2018 F-3T, 2016 2500 Ram 4x4, 2020 VW Cross Sport, 2012 Travel trailer

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just a little elbow grease and a little time

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I 2nd the very soft paint. I was amazed how fast bug guts etched the paint on my '22. I eventually had to use a mini DA polisher to remove the etching. A full size would have worked but the mini works well around the Spyders contours. Hopefully using one of the methods above will remove the bugs but don't be surprised if the paint has been etched. No matter what the results are, be sure to get a good ceramic or graphene coating on it after you get it smooth. The etching won't happen again.
    A few years ago I was getting a show bike ready for the show circuit Roadster Shows, got everything painted a cool candy jade green and was doing the overlays of patterns and when I went to fill my spray gun a small but very noticeable spider fell into the paint it was not dry yet but as soon as the spider hit the paint it did not move, and not wanting to strip everything off and start over I I just continued with more toner of many colors and then the clear.... then color sanded it and polished it all out the paint turned out fantastic no one ever noticed the spider unless I pointed it out. I did get them asking how I was able to paint that spider with so much detail... hahaha I would say that spider was well etched into it.