Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Doing my first Iron Butt tonight!

Well, I love to ride, but this will be my longest time in the saddle. A buddy and myself are doing an Iron Butt (or saddle sore 1000) tonight. We are leaving the Raleigh area at 12:00 midnight and traveling west. We will go through Asheville, NC, Knoxsville, TN, Lexington, Ky, parts of West Virginia, Virginia, and back home. He has done 2 of these before, but this will be my first. Had lots of bikes, and 5 spyders. The most I have ever ridden in one day was 600 miles on my 2014 RT. This one is so much more comfortable, that I think I should be good. Going to just drink a lot and snack to keep from getting too sleepy. I will post up when we return and let you know how things went. Wish me luck.
    Thinking about removing the trunk for the more sported look. But I have noticed that the trunk does take away some of the backwash of bad air when riding with it. I will decide later this morning as I check things over before tonight.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with it. I have done several IB events with my last several 1000 mile rides at just over 12 hours. Eat minimal food, snack on trail mix and jerky , vitamins are good along with Amino acids. Sucky thing about doing it on a Spyder is the fuel range. My first one on a HD with 4 gallons of fuel, took 22 hours. Figured out Harleys were not the best for this. Bought a Beemer, 1150GS with 8 gallons of fuel. ran a V-1, did 5 minutes fuel stops. Proper conditioning is everything, good weather will help. Be safe

My IBA # is 8458
    2021 RT LT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless you have a large bladder, you'll want to drink just enough to stay hydrated or you'll be stopping more....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-06-2023 at 02:26 PM. Reason: blatter (to talk noisily & fast) - bladder (urine storage place) ;-)

Spyder Garage

Be safe!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Safe travels. I have my 1,000 mile route planned for later this year. I am very interested to see how it goes for you.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    Good luck with it. I have done several IB events with my last several 1000 mile rides at just over 12 hours. Eat minimal food, snack on trail mix and jerky , vitamins are good along with Amino acids. Sucky thing about doing it on a Spyder is the fuel range. My first one on a HD with 4 gallons of fuel, took 22 hours. Figured out Harleys were not the best for this. Bought a Beemer, 1150GS with 8 gallons of fuel. ran a V-1, did 5 minutes fuel stops. Proper conditioning is everything, good weather will help. Be safe

My IBA # is 8458
    I am thinking about the range thing also. The Spyder seems to be around the 200 mile mark and then I need to stop for gas. I also have a Beemer (K1600B). It is good for 260 miles before the first light comes on. But the Spyder seat is more comfortable, and I am sure I will want a stop by the 200 mile mark anyway. I will let you guys know how it goes.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-06-2023 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Be Safe When I rode my RT back from Alabama, I had a coke with chips instead of French fries to help keep me awake. Take something for pain before you ride, and drink a little water to stay hydrated.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Wife and I have been doing long distance trips for years (mostly on Harleys, but now on a 2018 F3L). I usually take an Ibupropen in the morning before we leave each day. Seems to make me a little more comfortable. Last Iron Butt (SS1000) I did was on a Harley and took just over 17 hours. I typically stay within 5mph of speed limit, so pace yourself.
    Last edited by rjinaz86323; 03-07-2023 at 11:53 AM. Reason: no - now :-%
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Good fortune and safe travels.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

You can do it!!! 1,000 in 24 hrs is easily achievable. I have done 2 SS1000. Next is Spyder doing the 1,500 miles in 24 hrs. If you don't run into traffic jams, you'll get it done. My times have been 22 hrs 10 minutes and 17 hrs 6 minutes
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Anxious to hear the results.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Well, we did it! The traveling wasn't bad at all. And the seat on this bike is beyond comfortable. There is no way I could have survived it on the f3L or the BMW. But the gas gauge on this bike is the worst and most inaccurate thing that I have ever encountered. My only issue was the unexpected colder temps. It was 61 when we started out from Raleigh NC. But 39 with a wind-chill of 29 through Kentucky and West Virginia. My friends that went along looked so cute with their matching mesh jackets, but they nearly froze. 1,128 miles in 21 hours and 7 minutes. Had fun, but will not do another one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I'm interested in your strategy if you wouldn't mind sharing. I've done some research, but I would love to hear how you planned/executed the mileage vs. time. (Rest stops, etc.)

Thanks for sharing your experience!
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster72 View Post
    I'm interested in your strategy if you wouldn't mind sharing. I've done some research, but I would love to hear how you planned/executed the mileage vs. time. (Rest stops, etc.)

Thanks for sharing your experience!
    This was my first one, so it is by no means the "way to do it". But the day prior, I took about a 2 hour nap in the evening. Then got ready as if I was going to work. (shaved showered, teeth brushed, moisturize, the works). We left at exactly 12:00 am (midnight). We actually planned it around a full moon to have as much visibility as possible on the sides of the road. Took lots of stuff to drink and some snacks. My bike didn't do well on gas milage at all. We were able to get about 150-175 miles between fillups. At each fill up I drank either an iced coffee or water. That had me hitting the rest room every other fill up. Around 10 that morning (after traffic slowed), we stopped for a quick breakfast. Nothing filling, just a biscuit and something else to drink. Continued on to our mid point and check in location. After checking in, we hit the rest rooms and repeated the process of drinking at each fillup and relieving ourselves as needed. We did not stop to eat again, as a full stomach would probably make us sleepy. My goal was to be at the 600 mile mark before 12 hours had passed. Starting the route at midnight was good for avoiding traffic and it allowed us to meet the check point by or before noon. I use GPS sometimes, but I rather use maps and remember the directions as much as possible. But for me, that is a personal choice to just exercise my brain. Take extra clothing, as the weather can change a lot over a 500 mile distance, and always include a rain suit. It can be put on to keep you warmer in a pinch.
    One vital thing that I forgot was to take an advil, tylenol, or something for possible pain in the sides or lower back. I ride 300-400 mile days on a regular. But a 1000+ mile day with twisties thrown in really test your core and sides.
    Last edited by blacklightning; 03-08-2023 at 12:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

blacklightning, 1st glad you had a safe trip and enjoyed it with no issues.

I am curious about the fuel mileage though. How much fuel did it take to fill the tank each time? I know for me riding two up I easily get 200 miles between fill-up's and I don't think that I have ever put more than 5.5 gallons in at a time.
    I do run the 93 octane fuel in mine.
    There might be something amiss with yours.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    blacklightning, 1st glad you had a safe trip and enjoyed it with no issues.

I am curious about the fuel mileage though. How much fuel did it take to fill the tank each time? I know for me riding two up I easily get 200 miles between fill-up's and I don't think that I have ever put more than 5.5 gallons in at a time.
    I do run the 93 octane fuel in mine.
    There might be something amiss with yours.
    I will have to double check, but it seems that we filled up each time at around 150 miles. Most of the time it was around 5 gallons needed. My buddy was riding 2 up and was getting about the same. So I guess you would say we got about 30-33 mpg. Mine will hopefully get better, as the miles go up. The fact that the gas gauge was so far off was the most frustrating thing for me. On my F3T and F3 Limited, things were just so much more accurate. They both tend to get about 38-40 mpg.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    This was my first one, so it is by no means the "way to do it". But the day prior, I took about a 2 hour nap in the evening. Then got ready as if I was going to work. (shaved showered, teeth brushed, moisturize, the works). We left at exactly 12:00 am (midnight). We actually planned it around a full moon to have as much visibility as possible on the sides of the road. Took lots of stuff to drink and some snacks. My bike didn't do well on gas milage at all. We were able to get about 150-175 miles between fillups. At each fill up I drank either an iced coffee or water. That had me hitting the rest room every other fill up. Around 10 that morning (after traffic slowed), we stopped for a quick breakfast. Nothing filling, just a biscuit and something else to drink. Continued on to our mid point and check in location. After checking in, we hit the rest rooms and repeated the process of drinking at each fillup and relieving ourselves as needed. We did not stop to eat again, as a full stomach would probably make us sleepy. My goal was to be at the 600 mile mark before 12 hours had passed. Starting the route at midnight was good for avoiding traffic and it allowed us to meet the check point by or before noon. I use GPS sometimes, but I rather use maps and remember the directions as much as possible. But for me, that is a personal choice to just exercise my brain. Take extra clothing, as the weather can change a lot over a 500 mile distance, and always include a rain suit. It can be put on to keep you warmer in a pinch.
    One vital thing that I forgot was to take an advil, tylenol, or something for possible pain in the sides or lower back. I ride 300-400 mile days on a regular. But a 1000+ mile day with twisties thrown in really test your core and sides.

This is the stuff I was looking for. I appreciate it. We do 500+ mile days 2-up, I take ibuprofin on the regular to keep the pains at bay. I don't get much over 150 miles before I have to stop anyway, I limit the miles more than the bike does, plus a good stretch and refreshment every couple of hours does wonders. I'll be doing this one on my own, Mrs. has no desire to be in the saddle that long.

Thank you again for sharing your trip and the details. Safe riding!
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

The biggest help for a successful SS1000 should be done at home ... in your easy chair. PLAN EVERYTHING OUT. If you KNOW you can go, say, 175 miles per tank at a given speed (figure in a headwind, as well), then sit down with Google maps and find fuel stations at the 160 to 175 mile point. Preferable on your exit side of the highway - not the other side. Don’t want highway crossings or intersection lights slowing you down. Limiting your stopped time is way more important than your riding speed. Exit the highway, pull up to the pump, kill the trike, get the gas pump started, stretch a bit while it’s filling, once filled go immediately inside and get your business done (snacks, restroom, etc) then get back on again. Agree with the completing first 600 miles in 12 hours. Also, if you have all your stops planned out beforehand, with exact stations to stop at, well ... now instead of this 1,000-mile behemoth you’ve gotta conquer, you have 6 little ~170-mile runs to complete. Those individual victories will help out on the mental part of it.

One other very important thing - MAKE SURE your chosen fuel stops have pumps on 24hrs a day. Some areas this can be a problem. Can check this with Google as well. Put everything down on paper, then into a GPS if you’re using one. If you’ve got everything all planned out, then all you’ve gotta worry about is the trike and YOU. If a couple good days pop up, you’re ready!!! Have fun with it.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Bought a new to me 21 RTL in Florida with 1965 miles. Plan on IBing back to NY in May. Looking to avoid all 5he interstates and major ‘speedways’ as I’ll be doing it solo. Like others have said the Mrs. doesn’t want to brave it with me lol. Anyway, I appreciate all the above info and will keep an eye on this thread if it keeps going. Wish me well��

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you accomplished your goal. Good information and advice in this thread. I have never done an IB and probably never will, I find it interesting that your pace is exactly what I have experienced over many years of touring. I always plan on traveling 50 miles for each hour on the road. That allows for fuel/rest breaks. Your target of 600 miles in 12 hours is right on pace. Good info not only for IB but for general touring for those of us that are not as adventurous. Good story.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Glad to hear you accomplished your goal. Good information and advice in this thread. I have never done an IB and probably never will, I find it interesting that your pace is exactly what I have experienced over many years of touring. I always plan on traveling 50 miles for each hour on the road. That allows for fuel/rest breaks. Your target of 600 miles in 12 hours is right on pace. Good info not only for IB but for general touring for those of us that are not as adventurous. Good story.....
    canamjhb, i use 55 mph for my estimates, and for our riding pace, it works right on for us. When we go on our tours, planning stops is a breeze because we basically know right where we will be after so many hours on the road.

Not saying I would, but I wonder if I can bump that pace for 1-up and the IB since it would only be me? Good things to think about......
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I think the biggest thing that I gathered from this trip was just how much better the seating on the newer (2020+) RT is than any other bike that i have ever ridden. I have a sargeant seat on the BMW and after 570 miles, I was done. On my 2014 RT, 600 miles was my limits. On the F3L, approx 500-600 miles was all I could take. With this bike, I felt fine after the over 1100 miles. BTW, this is coming from a somewhat heavy guy (263 pounds, 6'-2").

Spyder Garage

It is awesome you achieved your goal. Great job Lightning!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Has any Spyder run the big, four-corners-of-the-US, 11 day Ironbutt? You're allowed to install an auxiliary fuel tank (but IIRC, it's limited to X percentage of the stock tank). Just wondering how a Spyder would cope.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did my Iron Butt years ago, on my 750cc Shadow. 1,026 miles in 23&1/2 hours. My gas tank only held 135 miles of gas. The important thing was being efficient at gas stops. I left at 6am and arrived at 5:30 am. One longer stop for cake.

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779