Spyder Garage

Default Upcoming Epic Road Trip.

So on or about July 17th I'll be leaving my house (4:30-5:00am) here in Manatee County Florida and heading to Maine, bypassing 98% of all interstates and using nothing but county roads and state highways.

My goal is to make it to Concord New Hampshire by noonish of day 4 to spend a day or 4 with my older sister and two younger brothers.

Day One - I would like to make it to some place between Orangeburg South Carolina and Wadesboro North Carolina.
    Somewhere between 450-590 miles, Camden South Carolina would be just about mid-way between the two. Wadesboro is a stretch at almost 600 miles (remember I'm at the mercy of County roads and small-town America).

Day Two - I'll be aiming the front of SLEDGE in the direction of Leesburg Virginia, 450'ish miles, but my sights will be set on Fredrick Maryland (cheaper hotels).

Day Three - It will be a nice easy 250-300 miles to Stroudsburg/Milford Pennsylvania. That way I can take in the wickedly awesome scenery of the Delaware Water Gap. I also have to prepare myself for travel through 2A hating states, so I'll need to find a good hidey hole for the pew pew . (yes, I have a legal right to travel with pew pew, but not armed.)

Day Four - will be another nice easy day of 300'ish miles all in familiar territory through Port Jarvis New Jersey, Western New York, Western Massachusetts (my home state), then into Vermont, and New Hampshire. Spend a few days with older sister and younger brothers and then head over to Maine and visit older brother in Sagadahoc County.

Then at some point, when money starts to run low, I'll head home. I'll blast down the Interstate's to Waynesboro Virginia, from there I'll hit the county roads to my very good friend Paul's house in Boiling Springs South Carolina and spend several days with him, drinking some local moonshine.

Then after a few good days of getting drunk and reminiscing, I'll head home to my wife (she might want to see me by then).

Things I've learned planning this trip:

Garmin Basecamp does not like importing route maps bigger than 5GB. I gave up on trying to import a Google map.
    Basecamp will stick you on an interstate whenever it feels like it, no matter what settings you have. (I spent nearly 130 hours fiddling with Basecamp).

I finally had to let Basecamp do its thing, then I modified it to my liking. It's not the exact Google map I wanted but it's pretty damn close. I will be on about 120 miles of Interstate 90 here in Florida and 30 or so miles in Pennsylvania in the Mechanicsburg area.

So in closing, follow me on YouTube and hear me complain about everything and more on Instagram; I'll also do a daily post on the SpyderLovers Facebook page. Oh, here's the links to my useless social media pages and a map of the Route:
    Instagram (@grumpyoldman60) YouTube (@asmallsliceofamerica)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2023 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Nice trip plan. Please send us some pictures of the journey.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Enjoy the ride! Is the Blue Ridge Parkway on your route? 469 miles of nature.

Basecamp takes patience to build long tours. I've been using it for 10+ years and taken many multi day/week MC trips. For those less familiar with Basecamp, I offer a couple un-solicited tips:

Tip 1 - Break routes into estimated hours/miles of riding per day. It's ok to stop sooner or later. Just pick up next segment and continue. I average 400 mi/segment in 'busy' sections and 500 in 'open space'. Name each route with 'Day1 {from}{to}' so they are easy to find in the GPS.

Tip 2 - Within each segment route, create waypoints that are 'must go' places. Use these to let Basecamp create it's version BASED ON YOUR MODE OF TRAVEL (drive, MC Curvy, etc).

Tip 3 - Add waypoints and/or shaping points to tweak the route. (You can define each point's mode within the route)

Group all the segments under a basecamp 'list' and export it to save or share.
    Export the routes to the GPS and import each as needed.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    Garmin Basecamp does not like importing route maps bigger than 5GB. I gave up on trying to import a Google map.
    Basecamp will stick you on an interstate whenever it feels like it no matter what settings you have. (I spent nearly 130 hours fiddling with basecamp).
    It's nice to hear from someone else that does not have a high opinion for BaseCamp.

Until my employer switched to a different mileage-tracking system for reimbursement, I just uploaded all my tracks for the week and sorted out what I did for work. I do this all in MapSource (MS)(an older Garmin product). I am also using an older (long-discontinued) Nuvi-series GPS, I'm not even sure whether it talks to BaseCamp (BC).

I have tried to learn BC, but have only learned that it will not allow me to separate out portions of my tracks like I do with MS. I have also learned that it is much more difficult to plan a multi-day route like you have done. I will keep using MS as long as possible. The biggest problem is that most of the newer GPSs have to use BC, they won't talk to MS.

Regarding your trip: since you will be traveling alone, it's easier to dictate how long you ride each day. Also easier to decide when to start, when to pause (and for how long), and when to stop. It's good that you have your longest days first, as they will tire you out more. Just be sure to do a BUNCH of riding before the trip, so you are accustomed to saddle time. 600 miles in a day is hard enough to do on the "slab", it's going to be near-impossible on the county roads, so get an EARLY start.

Good luck with the trip.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

WOW! sounds like a great trip planned!! You will be going by me pretty close in Phillipsburg, NJ! Can't wait to see the pics and hear your adventures!!

Rob
    2020 Can-Am Ryker 600
    2021 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited
    2020 600 , Can Am White Design

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Enjoy the ride! Is the Blue Ridge Parkway on your route? 469 miles of nature.

Basecamp takes patience to build long tours. I've been using it for 10+ years and taken many multi day/week MC trips. For those less familiar with Basecamp, I offer a couple un-solicited tips:

Tip 1 - Break routes into estimated hours/miles of riding per day. It's ok to stop sooner or later. Just pick up next segment and continue. I average 400 mi/segment in 'busy' sections and 500 in 'open space'. Name each route with 'Day1 {from}{to}' so they are easy to find in the GPS.

Tip 2 - Within each segment route, create waypoints that are 'must go' places. Use these to let Basecamp create it's version BASED ON YOUR MODE OF TRAVEL (drive, MC Curvy, etc).

Tip 3 - Add waypoints and/or shaping points to tweak the route. (You can define each point's mode within the route)

Group all the segments under a basecamp 'list' and export it to save or share.
    Export the routes to the GPS and import each as needed.
    I did most of what you said, I even went as far as dropping waypoints and tried making a route that way, nope Basecamp hates me and my Boston accent.

I finally used the ''trip planner'' and that worked out the best... I still have time to refine my route.
    Stephan.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2023 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Regarding your trip: since you will be traveling alone, it's easier to dictate how long you ride each day. Also easier to decide when to start, when to pause (and for how long), and when to stop. It's good that you have your longest days first, as they will tire you out more. Just be sure to do a BUNCH of riding before the trip, so you are accustomed to saddle time. 600 miles in a day is hard enough to do on the "slab", it's going to be near-impossible on the county roads, so get an EARLY start.

Good luck with the trip.

I'm an early riser (4am) so I'm thinking 5:30-6am start times as I'll be traveling North-East and have the morning sun, ride for 60-90 minutes, stop, have breakfast and refuel SLEDGE, then just pound out the miles.

I'm used to seat time. I did put on 110K on my Harley in 10 years working a full-time job.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2023 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Your trip up is perfectly centered between Rts. 81 and 95. Well planned. However, I do not envy your trip back. I hate travelling on the super labs. Too much traffic, too many self-centered drivers and no real scenery to enjoy. Here's hoping for fair skies and calm winds to and from brother.
    I too am from MA, now residing in SC.
    Glide-on>>>>>>>>>>>
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    So on or about July 17th I'll be leaving my house (4:30-5:00am) here in Manatee County Florida and heading to Maine, bypassing 98% of all interstates and using nothing but county roads and state highways.

My goal is to make it to Concord New Hampshire by noonish of day 4 to spend a day or 4 with my older sister and two younger brothers.

Day One - I would like to make it to some place between Orangeburg South Carolina and Wadesboro North Carolina.
    Somewhere between 450-590 miles, Camden South Carolina would be just about mid-way between the two. Wadesboro is a stretch at almost 600 miles (remember I'm at the mercy of County roads and small-town America).

Day Two - I'll be aiming the front of SLEDGE in the direction of Leesburg Virginia, 450'ish miles, but my sights will be set on Fredrick Maryland (cheaper hotels).

Day Three - It will be a nice easy 250-300 miles to Stroudsburg/Milford Pennsylvania. That way I can take in the wickedly awesome scenery of the Delaware Water Gap. I also have to prepare myself for travel through 2A hating states, so I'll need to find a good hidey hole for the pew pew . (yes, I have a legal right to travel with pew pew, but not armed.)

Day Four - will be another nice easy day of 300'ish miles all in familiar territory through Port Jarvis New Jersey, Western New York, Western Massachusetts (my home state), then into Vermont, and New Hampshire. Spend a few days with older sister and younger brothers and then head over to Maine and visit older brother in Sagadahoc County.

Then at some point, when money starts to run low, I'll head home. I'll blast down the Interstate's to Waynesboro Virginia, from there I'll hit the county roads to my very good friend Paul's house in Boiling Springs South Carolina and spend several days with him, drinking some local moonshine.

Then after a few good days of getting drunk and reminiscing, I'll head home to my wife (she might want to see me by then).

Things I've learned planning this trip:

Basecamp will stick you on an interstate whenever it feels like it, no matter what settings you have. (I spent nearly 130 hours fiddling with Basecamp).

I finally had to let Basecamp do its thing, then I modified it to my liking. It's not the exact Google map I wanted but it's pretty damn close. I will be on about 120 miles of Interstate 90 here in Florida and 30 or so miles in Pennsylvania in the Mechanicsburg area.

So in closing, follow me on YouTube and hear me complain about everything and more on Instagram; I'll also do a daily post on the SpyderLovers Facebook page. Oh, here's the links to my useless social media pages and a map of the Route:
    Instagram (@grumpyoldman60) YouTube (@asmallsliceofamerica)
    If you're interested in a lay-over in Vermont (area 05660) let me know a few weeks in advance, so I won't make other plans ..... Mike ............ PS if you've never been to the top of Mt Washington (the road up/down is awesome) put it on your bucket list ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2023 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display; caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Take a look at US11 for your return. May be a good alternate from the slab.
    Stop by Bill's Bike Barn in Bloomsburg, PA (on US11).
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Your trip up is perfectly centered between Rts. 81 and 95. Well planned. However, I do not envy your trip back. I hate travelling on the super labs. Too much traffic, too many self-centered drivers and no real scenery to enjoy. Here's hoping for fair skies and calm winds to and from brother.
    I too am from MA, now residing in SC.
    Glide-on>>>>>>>>>>>
    I could tell stories about bike week down there at the popup bar suck bang blow... but I'd be banned before I hit the post reply.

what part of MA you from, I'm a DOT RAT. Dorchester.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you're interested in a lay-over in Vermont (area 05660) let me know a few weeks in advance, so I won't make other plans ..... Mike ............ PS if you've never been to the top of Mt Washington (the road up/down is awesome) put it on your bucket list ..... Mike
    Greatly appreciate the offer but it's a bit North of my route. I have a good friend that lives in the North Kingdom that's gonna come over to Concord for dinner. He lives in an unincorporated area, and I can't for the life of me remember his zip code
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2023 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display; caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Take a look at US11 for your return. May be a good alternate from the slab.
    Stop by Bill's Bike Barn in Bloomsburg, PA (on US11).
    I did think about that, but I'll be wanting to make time and miles by that time.

you can pick your friends, you can't pick your family

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sounds Great

...Well, I for one will definitely be following your updates about/on your journey north. I am a 'virtual tour' person due to my health issues.
    Do remember to post up some pictures too.

Stay Healthy. ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-22-2023 at 07:49 AM. Reason: do - due ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...Well, I for one will definitely be following your updates about/on your journey north. I am a 'virtual tour' person due to my health issues.
    Do remember to post up some pictures too.

Stay Healthy. ....
    Facebook Spyderlovers page will be your best bet for daily pictures/videos (Instagram will be linked automatically). Now before the worry wart's chime in and say I'm going to DOX myself, trust me I'll be skewing my social media post.

My wife will be here with our loyal and very overly protective Pitt Bull. Plus she has access to many PEW PEW PEW and is proficient with all of them, otherwise I would not even consider a trip of this caliber.