Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Interesting. Our experience is that if 1 plug on a low mileage Spyder is not good. It's usually a coil or injector issue. If this is the case, it will come back. Bad spark plugs from the factory are extremely rare.

I would compare it to replacing a tire that has worn badly in a few miles as a cure for a bad alignment. I'm wondering if they should have looked a bit further for a cause. I hope it works out.
    I have this same thought lurking in my head! With such low miles on a 2017 that she bought used last spring, seating around unused is not good either.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Agree with many- either side, to that note ; watch your MPG closely like graph chart close. There are some apps that can do the math **as long as YOU are consistent**. Plugs probably are good, plug wires, however have been know to fail more often. (& not even exposed to ethanol) With so many additives & seasonal blends. Really defeats a “Standard rating”. So aside from a known issue or failure, keep what’s working until causes problems, & by all means if you don’t pull the plugs yourself- request see the the removed parts. Take pics & milage notes: Feb/2019
    52,362m not sure what one front or back 794C5932-E650-4AC9-801B-C55E57002E3F.jpeg other warranty issues at the time & getting ready for season

https://www.fuelly.com/
    Last edited by Bfromla; 03-16-2023 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Agree with many- either side, to that note ; watch your MPG closely like graph chart close. There are some apps that can do the math **as long as YOU are consistent**. Plugs probably are good, plug wires, however have been know to fail more often. (& not even exposed to ethanol) With so many additives & seasonal blends. Really defeats a “Standard rating”. So aside from a known issue or failure, keep what’s working until causes problems, & by all means if you don’t pull the plugs yourself- request see the the removed parts. Take pics & milage notes: Feb/2019
    52,362m not sure what one front or back 794C5932-E650-4AC9-801B-C55E57002E3F.jpeg other warranty issues at the time & getting ready for season

https://www.fuelly.com/
    The 998 V-Twin is a different animal, of course. My guess would be that the top one is the rear and the bottom is the front. The rear cylinder tends to run hotter. Sometimes one cylinder runs leaner than the other and that would be the whiter plug.

The ignition wires on the 998 are definitely of very poor quality and do go bad quickly. I would say that it is a rare 998 that has not had the spark plug wires replaced at this point. Seeing that the last production was 7 years ago. Replacing with OEM wires simply guarantees that you will be doing it again. Not to mention the power and throttle response reduction that these extremely high resistance wires create.

However, the 1330 does not have ignition wires. Instead, BRP went with a much better system. The ignition coil is integrated into the spark plug connection. Small 12v wires connect to the top and the need for ignition wires is eliminated as the spark charge is delivered direction to the top of the spark plug. Now why didn't I think of that!

Coilover.jpg

It has been suggested that you replace the coils when you do the spark plugs. Not a bad idea because of the time, effort and money spent just to get there. If you're changing your plugs every 25k I think you can safely skip replacing the coils on the 1st one. Though it's always a bit of a gamble.

The next thing I highly recommend is pulling the injectors and cleaning them. We do this on every spark plug change. We see a fair number of clogged injectors on the 1330. Many mistake a clogged or bad injector for a spark plug misfire.

Ethanol fuel can take a great deal of credit for this. Also, the tips of the injectors get very hot, especially when you turn the engine off quickly after a hard run. This tends to bake the end of the injector and can create buildup over time. Using a good fuel injector cleaner every 4th of 5th tank can help remedy this. Seafoam is good for removing water from the tank. Berryman's B-12 is a good injector cleaner. Others have their favorites.

Always remember to apply a thin layer of thermal paste (Not Anti-Seize) to the new spark plug threads. This is important so that the plugs maintain proper heat transfer to the head.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-17-2023 at 12:00 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    I mam on my 3rd set of plugs. I changed from stock plugs at 25,000 and again at 75,000. The last 2 sets are the Iridium plugs. My Spyder is also the 998 V-twin. I can change the left side in 10-15 minutes. The right side takes 3-5 hours. Bruce
    I also have the 998 twin, but after getting rid of the stock air box and installing the Air filter from JT's Spyder Store it's a cinch to do the right side as well as the left side.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

I didn't want to quote the whole thing but very good advice from Ron. Especially the thermal paste.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's some pics from when I changed my plugs at about 28k miles. Don't know if these are all different plugs or if a couple of the pics are of the same one.

Spark plug 1.jpg

Spark plug 2.jpg

Spark plug 4.jpg

Spark plug 5.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    pauly1 -- excellent color, minimal deposits. Keep doing whatever you're doing and your grandkids will be riding that Spyder.
    Good gas....and ride like I stole it!
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Here's some pics from when I changed my plugs at about 28k miles. Don't know if these are all different plugs or if a couple of the pics are of the same one.

Spark plug 1.jpg

Spark plug 2.jpg

Spark plug 4.jpg

Spark plug 5.jpg
    You are the only one I know with a 4 cylinder Spyder! That could catch on, my friend!

Spyder Garage

True New Plugs will show a difference in performance .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Friends 2017 RT got new plugs the other day at under 4K on the clock. It developed a miss, so we trailered it to the Mesa dealer. They installed new plugs, and it has been running fine for her since. One plug looked bad as I understand it; she did not show them to me, but another friend saw them.
    If it's the dealer I think it is, I took mine there once - never again!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I've been lucky ..... but I have over 77,000 mi. on the OEM plugs and coils for my 14 RT ..........Mike

Spyder Garage

I have changed them at 28,000 miles and found them to look like new. The last set I changed them after 40,000 miles and also found them to be in great shape, and gapped within specs. I found no improvement in performance. I will try again after 50,000 miles to see if that is the magical number.
    I have been getting the spark plugs from BajaRon- best deal!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Couple of observations reading this thread. I wonder, if so much of the cost endured when taking your machine to the dealers for service (regarding the servicing of the engine for the systems in this thread), if the high costs are for the time it takes to get to the task at hand, IOW is a lot of the billable labor for field stripping the Tupperware?

Secondly, the pics of the spark plugs, and judging the condition of the plug by looking at the colors of the insulator. #1, I wonder how accurate it is looking at these pics and not knowing how the engine was used prior to pulling the plugs. I ask because, I have a little bit of experience tuning engines based on the condition and color of the plug. IOW was the
    Throttle chopped and the ignition turned off prior to removing the plugs or, was the engine just run normally and the plug(s) pulled and a pic was taken? What always begs the question is how do we know what we know? Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    Couple of observations reading this thread. I wonder, if so much of the cost endured when taking your machine to the dealers for service (regarding the servicing of the engine for the systems in this thread), if the high costs are for the time it takes to get to the task at hand, IOW is a lot of the billable labor for field stripping the Tupperware?

Secondly, the pics of the spark plugs, and judging the condition of the plug by looking at the colors of the insulator. #1, I wonder how accurate it is looking at these pics and not knowing how the engine was used prior to pulling the plugs. I ask because, I have a little bit of experience tuning engines based on the condition and color of the plug. IOW was the
    Throttle chopped and the ignition turned off prior to removing the plugs or, was the engine just run normally and the plug(s) pulled and a pic was taken? What always begs the question is how do we know what we know? Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    IMHO & experience Dealers are going to go by the listed BOOK rate for the job. ..... Non dealers may give you a break if you do something to that saves them time ......good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Who remembers using one of these? Spark plugs used to carbon up, and fouled up in various ways more often than not back in the days of inefficient carbureted engines, ignition points, condensers, bad coils, and hardly ever changed out spark plug wires.

46793384_614.jpg
    Last edited by BoatFixx; 01-15-2024 at 11:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

This is another one of those subjects that if it feels good to you, do it, it's your money, spend it! Myself I will wait till I see a need for it!! Witch I am there right now, it's on my springtime service list!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Plugs may look great, should you remove and inspect a handy one, but as they get older, they build up resistance over time.
    This puts more demand of the whole spark/ignition system overall. ......

Some choose to wait for a catastrophic failure before attending to stuff, that's up to them I spose.

I don't believe it's a wait for it to fail item, like oil - why, there seems to be plenty left. Why change it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-15-2024 at 04:03 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Plugs may look great, should you remove and inspect a handy one, but as they get older, they build up resistance over time.
    This puts more demand of the whole spark/ignition system overall. ......

Some choose to wait for a catastrophic failure before attending to stuff, that's up to them I spose.

I don't believe it's a wait for it to fail item, like oil - why, there seems to be plenty left. Why change it?
    Oil & Spark plugs are like apples & oranges ..... although neither's lives are definite, more is known about oil than spark plug longevity .... JMHO .....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-15-2024 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoatFixx View Post
    Who remembers using one of these? Spark plugs used to carbon up, and fouled up in various ways more often than not back in the days of inefficient carbureted engines, ignition points, condensers, bad coils, and hardly ever changed out spark plug wires.

46793384_614.jpg
    Those were the good old days when you could usually get to the spark plugs in less than a few hours! But with the Spyder/Ryker. It's a lot of trouble getting in to check. Not worth the effort to put the old ones back in, regardless of how they look. For the money, it's easier and, in my opinion, better just to put new ones in while you're there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Those were the good old days when you could usually get to the spark plugs in less than a few hours! But with the Spyder/Ryker. It's a lot of trouble getting in to check. Not worth the effort to put the old ones back in, regardless of how they look. For the money, it's easier and, in my opinion, better just to put new ones in while you're there.
    And just think of the number of times some fine grains of sand made it into a cylinder because someone was in a hurry.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember well that we used to sell BMW's to various HD riders and invariably they would come in with the new Beemer running rough or hard to start. We would immediately pull the plugs and they looked bad. HD riders were so used to running at low RPM because that is the way it has always been done. We would then instruct them to perform what I have called a "West Texas Tune Up" occasionally. Turned them into happy BMW riders. I have owned 4 HD's since 2012 and have never replaced the original Plugs, always traded in for something new every 30,000 to 40,000 miles, still running like a watch.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

When they took the lead out of gasoline, most spark plug problems went away.
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is there a resistance value of the plugs that can be measured with a multimeter that gives you a definitive yes they're good or no they're getting tired?
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Chandler I believe!
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.