Spyder Garage

Default Firmware update on 2021 Spyder RTL

Does anyone know anything about a firmware update for the 2021 Spyder RTL that came out recently? (I'm writing this on 3/13/23.) A friend of mine with the same machine took his trike in for another issue, and the dealer said there was a recall on his machine that required re-flashing some of the trike's firmware. I asked a dealer about it but got an answer that suggested to me that he didn't really have a good grasp of the purpose of the update. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Bill McGrath
    2021 Spyder RTL
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2023 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not 1330 engine specific ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT Limited , Petrol (100LL if you're a pilot)

Spyder Garage

Probably the update is from years ago, but if you dont hook up to buds you will never know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AE2WM View Post
    Does anyone know anything about a firmware update for the 2021 Spyder RTL that came out recently? (I'm writing this on 3/13/23.) A friend of mine with the same machine took his trike in for another issue, and the dealer said there was a recall on his machine that required re-flashing some of the trike's firmware. I asked a dealer about it but got an answer that suggested to me that he didn't really have a good grasp of the purpose of the update. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Bill McGrath
    2021 Spyder RTL
    I believe there are two service bulletins out currently. My understanding is one is mandatory and is related to hard starting issues. The other is optional and fixes the problem with the instrument cluster arbitrarily switching between day and night modes.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I believe there are two service bulletins out currently. My understanding is one is mandatory and is related to hard starting issues. The other is optional and fixes the problem with the instrument cluster arbitrarily switching between day and night modes.
    I never had trouble with starting, so can't comment on the first. The fix for the second issue was marginal at best. Mine was flashed late last summer.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Does anyone know if these issues carried forward to the '22s? I have a brand new one waiting for me when I get back to Michigan.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AE2WM View Post

Bill McGrath
    2021 Spyder RTL
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...50-1-available

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    Does anyone know if these issues carried forward to the '22s? I have a brand new one waiting for me when I get back to Michigan.
    Yours should have the most current firmware.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...50-1-available

Yours should have the most current firmware.
    Thanks. Fulltimer out.

Spyder Garage

The latest version of BUDS2 came out yesterday. There are no new firmware updates since the two referenced above. One is mandatory and involves reducing the starting compression. The other is optional and updates the cluster day/night switching function.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

While looking on the forum I see that my 2021 Spyder RT should have firmware version 50.1. I checked my machine and found it has version 50.21. Anyone else have this version?

Spyder Garage

How do you check firmware version?

Inquiring minds want to know (that includes nubee owners).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captcharles View Post
    How do you check firmware version?

Inquiring minds want to know (that includes nubee owners).

I can't remember exactly. Use the toggle button to go into settings. It is listed in there somewhere. You'll figure it out. Toward the bottom in 'about' I think.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

As per FrogmanDave:
    From the home position arrow down to settings, enter settings and arrow down to about, enter about and read the version at the top of the page.

Charlie

Spyder Garage

I just had mine in the shop today for a new rear tire at 7546 miles. There were 2 recalls open. The engine start issue and the brake lights may stay illuminated. They did the software flash for the engine start issue but did not have a spring in stock for the brake light issue. They ordered the spring along with new trunk lid shocks to be replaced under warranty.

Spyder Garage

Just had this recalled fixed at the Dealer if your VIN Pops this Recall it says "Engine may not start due to low compression which can be caused by carbon deposits in the Combustion Chamber." Solution was to Reflash the Vehicles ECM using New BUDS2.

Odd thing I carried the bike in for the recall on brake switch. When I picked it up they showed the above fix, not the switch. Service started looking at their BRP Computers and one computer showed one recall and a different computer showed the other. Go Figure. Now waiting for the switch.. Been down that road before.
    [img]

Spyder Garage

Default Firmware Update

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I had the update done and it made a big difference in the bike managing the screen resolution and color.
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black