Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Trying to decide which Ryker to buy - test ride

Hello

Looking to join the Ryker club shortly. I signed up for 3 wheeled motorcycle school at the end of April to get the license.

I was initially drawn to the '23 Sport 900. But then after seeing the Rally Im leaning towards that. Sales guy at local dealer gave me a run down on the differences.
    We dont have many dirt roads on on Long Island or NYC, but our pavement is less than perfect. The sales guy said the Rally's adjustable suspension & seat would be more comfortable for that.
    Any opinions on choosing one over the other for 99% street riding? I dont mind spending the extra cash, as long as the Rally is just as good on the street as the sport.

If anyone is nearby and would be willing to let me do a test drive in a parking lot Ill buy you lunch lol.
    Im worried if I wait till May to get one I'll end up having to wait longer with all the supply chain issues.

Also any extras you wish you got from the dealer after owning?

thanks
    Kevin
    Last edited by Badmotorf1nger; 03-12-2023 at 11:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Welcome!
    I got the Rally in 2019 because it had a lot of the stuff I was going to upgrade to anyways. At least that's what I thought at the time. The adjustable damping on the rear shock is nice but the front shocks were lame and I replaced them with air charged shocks from Amazon that are way better then the stock ones.
    Keep in mind that it looks like Can Am seems to have fixed their Rally front shocks with this newer design .

Stuff installed at dealer:
    I went with the 2-up rear spring because I knew I would be driving with a passenger sometimes. Comfort seats front and rear are both better than the standard seats.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum Badmotorf1nger! Look around the different Ryker areas of the forum to see some of the mods that have been done and what some of the members think of the different Rykers they have. Do your research the riding season will be here soon. I hope you enjoy the forum; lots of good information here and of course if you have a question just ask. But the choice is always yours when it comes to models, 600, 900, Rally, F3, F3T, F3L, RT, RTL or S2S etc. If only the wallet and garage were big enough for all of them.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 03-12-2023 at 07:06 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Here's aa advanced welcome to the 3Down club. Whatever you decide to buy remember that you can save loads of cash if you are somewhat knowledgeable with the maintenance of these 3 wheeled gems.

Spyder Garage

I have a 22 900 rally it has adjustable shocks all around a akropovic exhaust cruise comfort seat bumper and skid plates i also ride on ruff roads without any problems i also ride paved highways at speeds 70 to 80 mph without any problems im realy glad i bought the 900 rally.

Spyder Garage

sorry As much on Rykers but 99% street why not go with “Full sized” F3 more storage & definitely test ryde after getting endorsement :2thumbs multiple rydes, no impulse decisions. Tires gonna suck (all oem Kendas) lucky get 5k miles or 2y . Rest is about your ryding style & comfort there in. (Not comfortable; not enjoying-what’s the point). Just a thought**Multiple dealers -more test rydes** late thought clarification: nothing wrong with Rykers, my test rydes just were lacking compared to what had gotten use to already on STL; radio, windshield, floorboards, & dash, frunk.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 03-12-2023 at 09:27 PM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    sorry As much on Rykers but 99% street why not go with “Full sized” F3 more storage & definitely test ryde after getting endorsement :2thumbs multiple rydes, no impulse decisions. Tires gonna suck (all oem Kendas) lucky get 5k miles or 2y . Rest is about your ryding style & comfort there in. (Not comfortable; not enjoying-what’s the point). Just a thought**Multiple dealers -more test rydes** late thought clarification: nothing wrong with Rykers, my test rydes just were lacking compared to what had gotten use to already on STL; radio, windshield, floorboards, & dash, frunk.
    Thanks for the input, I'm set on the Ryker though over the Spyder.
    I have seen Spyders around for years & they never really piqued my interest much, even sat on one at the dealer & didn't feel any connection. I saw a Ryker and it was like "I want one of those".
    The more bare-bones motif appeals to me more. Would be nice to have one in manual, but my car is manual so I can get my shifting thrills with that.

Glad you mentioned the tires, are there any other options for the fronts besides OEM? I see Yokohama makes a rear that will fit.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2023 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    Here's aa advanced welcome to the 3Down club. Whatever you decide to buy remember that you can save loads of cash if you are somewhat knowledgeable with the maintenance of these 3 wheeled gems.
    Thank you, yes, I will be working on it myself, former mechanic/body man with a fully equipped home shop & lift.
    My goal is to not do any major mods for at least one season though. I say this after bookmarking the Silber turbo kit... lol
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2023 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

You'll enjoy the Ryker if that's what you want. I've had mine since 2020 and have only had to do oil changes with no issues other than those few recalls that the dealer took care of.

Runs great and with close to 11,000 miles it's still running great with original tires. I'm not a fast burner off the gate so maybe my tires are still good because of that, not sure. Enjoy the ride and do your own maintenance, save the receipts and keep riding!

Spyder Garage

Go for the Ryker Rally if you can swing it. My wife is on her second one, she just recently traded her 2020 in on a new 2022. Both have been extremely reliable and a tun of fun. Her new 2022 is even better.
    4B26A263-5342-4DFD-91BD-632EE9F6AA49.jpg
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

I will say that if I was a solo rider I would differently look at the Ryker! I rode one on the road at one of those BRP test ride days at the dealership where I got my RTL, it was a blast, I could see myself on one of those for sure!! If I could get my wife to get behind the wheel of one I would get two, she loves her own sled but loves to smell the roses on the back of the RT and tell me how to drive!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I chose the rally model in 2019 for the value; upgraded suspension, seat, linq rack, etc all of which were included in the price and would cost more if added to the basic model. The potential to take it off asphalt was appealing but did not necessarily change my decision because I have rarely done it. If I was going to make the decision again in 2023 I would still choose the rally. I had the opportunity to sit on one at my local dealer recently. The seating position was much more comfortable than the 2023 sport next to it and was actually better than my 2019 rally with the comfort seat. I would definately replace my current seat if the 2023 seat becomes available.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

thanks for all the replies. OK so the rally it is, just trying to find a place to test ride one before I pull the trigger on ordering

Spyder Garage

A lot of dealers have brand new 2022 ones in stock.
    It is the same as the 2023 model.
    None of the dealers around here have any 2023's Spyders or Rykers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Badmotorf1nger View Post
    Thanks for the input, I'm set on the Ryker though over the Spyder.
    I have seen Spyders around for years & they never really piqued my interest much, even sat on one at the dealer & didn't feel any connection. I saw a Ryker and it was like "I want one of those".
    The more bare-bones motif appeals to me more. Would be nice to have one in manual, but my car is manual so I can get my shifting thrills with that.

Glad you mentioned the tires, are there any other options for the fronts besides OEM? I see Yokohama makes a rear that will fit.
    We tour 2+ weeks a year, so we went with the RT, but if I could have 2, a Ryker would be in the running for the 2nd. The aggressive "bare bones" look has grown on me.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

thanks for all the replies. OK so the rally it is, just trying to find a place to test ride one before I pull the trigger on ordering
    Good choice! Let us know how the test ride goes.
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

We also came from Motorcycles (most time BMWs) changed to the Spyders 2008 - and got one of the first Rykers 900 (standard) ..
    we use her most time 2up on tours, so we had to changed some things .. seats/suspension/cases/mapping.. and the tires:

I use the Hankook V12 (16" !) on the back and wider
    165/50 R16 on the front - instead of the 145/60 .. they fit perfect

& wish you a lot of fun - you will like her !!! (we have 28k miles now)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I originally went in dead set to buy the ryker before I bought my F3 and I was glad that the salesperson recognized that I was having some discomfort due to my size and previous back injury sitting on the Ryker.

He said I can see now you will outgrow this fast due to the discomfort I was having and had me sit on the F3 and it felt really good.

Also it was pointed out to me that if I was going to have a passenger especially one like my wife who wasn't too thrilled about joining me for a ride that a longer ride would be really rough for a passenger on the ryker.

The ryker is really a fun machine as I have driven it and love it but with my big frame it was a no go for longer trips. It's really too bad they couldn't of made a big people's version of it.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

IMG_5738.jpg

This is my 2022 Sport. It has the adjustable rear shock of the Rally. I cranked the spring preload up and set the shock adjust meant up when riding with the wife. Without her I drop it down. Now you may not want to ride two-up so maybe you do not need the larger, adjustable rear shock.

As an aside I sit with her at 70+ mph on major roads with no stability issues. As a long-time motorcyclist this is by far a less strenuous ride than any motorcycle I ever rode. I avoid comfort and gadgets for riding as an essence of motorcycling experience. This thing, as I have set it up, if too comfortable for me. That encourages me to mentally wander away from road awareness to look around and think of things that distract from riding awareness. For most that is probably a good thing. For me it approaches the boring and sedate of driving my truck or car.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wheeler View Post
    Good choice! Let us know how the test ride goes.
    No dealers on Long island will allow a test ride, called them all.. So Im hitting a few in person this week to get pricing & will just order from whoever gives me the best deal. I really doubt I wont enjoy it.
    If I wait till after the 3 wheel course end of April theres a chance I might be waiting a while for more Rykers to come in & that would be a real drag.

First dealer wanted for a '23 Rally 13899 msrp + 895 freight + 695 prep + DMV & Sales tax + 525 Can Am commodity surcharge?? lol . a '22 would be 12999 msrp + + +, hopefully I can find better deals, but limited # of places to go to

Regarding passengers I will never have a 2nd person on this, besides maybe my little nephew a few times around the block when hes old enough. I dont even like driving with other people in the car haha.
    Im 6ft 155 lbs
    Last edited by Badmotorf1nger; 03-15-2023 at 12:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2023 Rally today! It will be ready for pickup next week $200 cheaper than the other dealer & a more reputable place.
    Got 2 year warranty for free, and paying ~700 for a wheel & tire protection package, unlimited Tire & wheel replacements for 5 years, bend, break, puncture, they replace no questions asked.
    Can't wait to ride this thing. Just need to get a full-face helmet, gloves, & jacket. Already ordered these Harley Davidson sneaker boots that look like Nike dunk high tops.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2023 at 09:45 PM. Reason: while - wheel ;-)

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2023 Rally today! It will be ready for pickup next week $200 cheaper than the other dealer & a more reputable place.
    Got 2 year warranty for free, and paying ~700 for a wheel & tire protection package, unlimited Tire & wheel replacements for 5 years, bend, break, puncture, they replace no questions asked.
    Can't wait to ride this thing. Just need to get a full-face helmet, gloves, & jacket. Already ordered these Harley Davidson sneaker boots that look like Nike dunk high tops.
    hope the tire plan works out (sounds descent)
    Bud down here got similar plan for car & course that one size-never in stock, L O N G waits

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Yeah I generally shy away from "plans", but unlimited for 5 years is hard to beat. Tireracks coverage is one & done, and thats only up to a certain amount of wear.

Spyder Garage

Enjoy the new ride.

Did not think there was a problem with tires and wheels before they wore out. Think you can get 15K or so with tires. Hope I am right.

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2023 Rally today! It will be ready for pickup next week -snip-
    Congrats!! And you know the drill, right? Pictures please!
    2022 Sea to Sky