Spyder Garage

Default Best way of Connecting Garmin XT to GPS Harness - 2016 RT?

Hi Everyone,

I have researched this online and on the forum and am not clear on this topic. I am purchasing a Garmin Zumo XT for my 2016 RTS and I would like to power it using the GPS harness that is under the seat. I know that LaMonster Garage has a Plug-N-Play harness for the 2020+ RT and was wondering if there is a similar option for the 2016. I reached out to LaMonster but have yet to hear back. Does anyone know if there is any aftermarket adapter and if not, how would I go about wiring it?

Also, is this the best place to wire it for power? I'd be interested in hearing other options and how to implement them. I am good mechanically but terrible with the electrical stuff. Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-10-2023 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I am new to the Spyder but I have a 2017 with the 550 and will be swapping it out with my XT soon. I saw a video on youtube where a guy did this exact thing. Seemed very simple. Sorry I dont have a link for you.

Spyder Garage

I heard back from LaMonster Garage and the Plug-N-Play harness is indeed only for 2020+. I've done more researching and it looks like the GPS should not be wired to the battery (so you don't kill it) but instead to a switched power source. I saw a video where they said to wire the Garmin to the GPS harness under the seat but they did not show exactly how. They said to cut the OEM connector off the GPS harness then wire it directly to the Garmin. I assume that this was done using some sort of electrical connector. I know that there are more than one type, so now the question I have is, which connector type would be best for this purpose? I am almost there. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I just put a zumo on my 2016 RT ltd. I already had the Zumo 660 that I had to remove since the wiring harness was different from the new Zumo that I was putting in. I bought my Zumo used but I had a wiring harness with my replacment zumo. Didn't yours come with one? How are you going to mount the zumo between the handle bars without the mounting kit? Garmin does sell them. I would strongly suggest using it. The Spyder power connecter is just a simple two pin power plug. You can buy them at almost any autoparts store. WATCH THE POLARITY. Here is an example of the plug BRP uses. https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/5-Kit-2...RD15N0YATS59R9 The audio is connected via a standard din connector. I don't remember the size. The connector is located near the back of the seat, behind the Back fluid reservoir and above the back of the gas tank. The harness is run down through the steering column and out the right side under the handle bars; pull the cable down and secure it along the framework; then up to the power connector. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2023 at 05:04 PM. Reason: with our - without + ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TinyDean View Post
    I just put a zumo on my 2016 RT ltd. I already had the Zumo 660 that I had to remove since the wiring harness was different from the new Zumo that I was putting in. I bought my Zumo used but I had a wiring harness with my replacment zumo. Didn't yours come with one? How are you going to mount the zumo between the handle bars without the mounting kit? Garmin does sell them. I would strongly suggest using it. The Spyder power connecter is just a simple two pin power plug. You can buy them at almost any autoparts store. WATCH THE POLARITY. Here is an example of the plug BRP uses. https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/5-Kit-2...RD15N0YATS59R9 The audio is connected via a standard din connector. I don't remember the size. The connector is located near the back of the seat, behind the Back fluid reservoir and above the back of the gas tank. The harness is run down through the steering column and out the right side under the handle bars; pull the cable down and secure it along the framework; then up to the power connector. Hope this helps.
    This was very helpful. Here is the 2 way connector that I just bought. It states that it will work with motorcycles, so hopefully the polarity won't be a problem. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353754136883

Spyder Garage

Any concerns with this connector?

On the 2016 RT-S, the wires on the GPS harness are as follows - One wire is Green/Yellow and the other wire is Green/Black. My question is, which one is power and which is ground?

Also, I just bought this 2 way connector to plug into it, so I will be wiring this side to the GPS unit. I really don't want to cut the harness off and wire it up directly. Any concerns with this connector? Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353754136883
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2023 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text after merge - many won't see post titles, only Thread Titles! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Just an update on this. I checked the GPS harness wires with a multi-meter and here are the results:

Green / Black Wire - Measured 012 (which I assume is the power wire)
    Green / Yellow Wire - Continuity Beep (which I assume is the ground wire)

Looking at the GPS harness connector and the 2 pin connector that I bought (link above), the polarity is reversed.

Again, I am not great with electrical, but I believe that means from the GPS harness, the Green / Black wire (power) will need to be connected to the Black wire on the 2 pin connector.

So at this point, I believe I have this solved, but if any of my assumptions are wrong, then please let me know!! Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Just to wrap things up with my initial inquiry in this thread, here are a couple of photos that shows how to wire the GPS harness in the 2016 Spyder RTS to the Garmin Zumo XT. First, I went online and purchased a 2 pin connector so that I did NOT have to cut the GPS harness. I then used a couple of posi-lock connectors to wire it to the Garmin. The only thing worth noting here is that because of the reverse polarity issue, from the 2 pin connector, I had to connect the red to the black and the black to the red. I've had this in place for a few weeks now and it works perfectly. Once you turn off the ignition, power to the Garmin is shut off after a few seconds.

Wiring for GPS Harness & Garmin - 1.jpg Wiring for GPS Harness & Garmin - 2.jpg

Spyder Garage

My "new" 2018 RTL GPS connector (under the seat area on the frame just behind the gas tank on the right side) has purple/yellow positive and black ground.
    These Muyi connecors from Amazon are a pefect fit and correct polarity.. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6LTK44...roduct_details)
    Just used one of the Muyi male connectors which was wired up to the Garmin harness (red-red, black-black) and plugged it into the GPS connector. Easy Peasy..

Spyder daily driver - 2015 F3S magnesium - grocery getter
    BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid
    Front Tires - 175/55R-15 Yokohama AVID S34FA SL
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Front Tires - Stock Kendas
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikthebik View Post
    My "new" 2018 RTL GPS connector (under the seat area on the frame just behind the gas tank on the right side) has purple/yellow positive and black ground.
    These Muyi connecors from Amazon are a pefect fit and correct polarity.. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6LTK44...roduct_details)
    Just used one of the Muyi male connectors which was wired up to the Garmin harness (red-red, black-black) and plugged it into the GPS connector. Easy Peasy..
    Agreed. I am glad I found the connector I did, even with the reverse polarity which is simple enough to fix. I absolutely did not want to cut the GPS harness which I know a lot of people have done.

Spyder Garage

I did the same thing but put red to red, black to black. The red from the 2-pin adapter side connects to the Spyder female purple/yellow, and the black goes to the other wire. Anyway, it seems to work fine. I had to swap out wiring harness and mounting bracket because the one that came with the bike was faulty. All good now. I love the Zumo.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-16-2023 at 08:33 AM. Reason: tge x 2 ....;-)