Spyder Garage

Default Issues with accessory connections on 2020 RTL - any ideas?

Has anyone had issues with the accessory connection on the right side of a 2020 Spyder RTL? I'm not getting any power from it. I have checked the fuses for all accessory noted fuses and still no luck. Also, about the USB connection in the glove box, is it just a data plug or also a charging plug? Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-26-2023 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread... & expanded title to briefly ask the question ;-)lk

Spyder Garage

The USB connector in the glove box will do both - charge and transmit data.

Did you check the accessory with a test meter?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-26-2023 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Make sure to check the polarity, a lot of the 2020's were backwards.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garyleblanc1 View Post
    Has anyone had issues with the accessory connection on the right side of a 2020 Spyder RTL? I'm not getting any power from it. I have checked the fuses for all accessory noted fuses and still no luck. Also, about the USB connection in the glove box, is it just a data plug or also a charging plug? Thanks
    You are not getting any power from the accessory wire...Did you turn the key ON?

And yes, how are you hooking up and testing?

Here's a video that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxeGXsjrdt8
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-26-2023 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 F3. Not sure of the later models... The user accessory wires are not energised until the engine is running...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-26-2023 at 07:38 PM. Reason: r - l ;-)
    2017 F3s-Daytona...After market top-box,- Diy Sports rack,- Diy Windshield & brackets - Sena 20s,- Shad side cases,- Drivers backrest,- 660 Garmin,- Altimate floor boards, - Diy Belt Guard, - Sinister Exhaust,

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have a wiring issue maybe, if the 5amp fuse is good!
    I blew mine when I was fitting the lower front grill light bar & having issues with the switch.
    Good luck with finding the problem. Stephen.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-26-2023 at 07:39 PM. Reason: e
    2022 RT Ltd , Extension wire on accessory plug 2” extension pedal. Marsala red

Spyder Garage

K80 is right, check the polarity; mine was reversed! Once I figured that out, everything works fine.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies. I checked the accessory plug with a volt meter and it is not getting power. I also checked the fuses that indicate accessory, and all are good. Also tried with key on, and key on and starting - still no power. Next step is to trace back or add an additional accessory power bank. I also used a polarity that Slingmods provided for the USB/12 v handlebar add-on and still no luck.

Thanks all
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2023 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Merged posts :-/

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies. I checked the accessory plug with a volt meter and it is not getting power. I also checked the fuses that indicate accessory, and all are good. Also tried with key on, and key on and starting - still no power. Next step is to trace back or add an additional accessory power bank. I also used a polarity that Slingmods provided for the USB/12 v handlebar add-on and still no luck.

Thanks all
    Did it ever work?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2023 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Did you check the polarity on the plug itself?

Do you have a test light or a multimeter meter?

With a test light: Hook one end to the negative post of the battery then touch the positive post with the other end just to verify that the light will work, if not wiggle the clamp end until get a good enough connection to light up.
    No take the pointed end and check "BOTH" ends on the plug to see if one of them will light up. If it lights up when the black wire is touched, then the wires are backwards/reversed. If it lights on the colored wire, then you'll know that it's a bad ground.

With a multimeter, set it for dc volts. then do the same as above and let us know what happens.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Hooked up my GPS to power on right side on 2020 RTL and power supply was backwards. Seems to be an issue on these
    Last edited by Dodgedad; 04-27-2023 at 10:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yeah mine is backwards on my 23 RTL as well. But no problems with getting power though (so long as key is on).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by javajaws View Post
    Yeah mine is backwards on my 23 RTL as well. But no problems with getting power though (so long as key is on).

That’s strange, javajaws. Only the ‘20 and some early ‘21 RT-L models had this reversed polarity issue, and then BRP corrected it. I hope they haven’t regressed for the ‘23 models

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    That’s strange, javajaws. Only the ‘20 and some early ‘21 RT-L models had this reversed polarity issue, and then BRP corrected it. I hope they haven’t regressed for the ‘23 models

Pete
    We'd all like to hope that's the case, but I think it's an ongoing problem & pretty much the luck of the draw Pete!

This 'reverse polarity' thing in the accessory/USB circuits has been a problem for 'some but not necessarily all' Spyder models right from the start of the 2020, all thru '21, & there's also been more than 'just a couple' of 2022's with the same problem... So I'm not surprised to see that at least some 2023 Spyders have it too, and while it's clearly not ALL of them, the number of Spyders with it being discovered/reported is growing almost daily!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I use both a Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block and a NEUTRINO BLACK BOX 'AURORA+' POWER DISTRIBUTION MODULE - both are great. The Show Chrome is plug and play and gives you brake and turn signals as well as ignition on and always on connections. The Aurora+ is simply amazing and configurable.
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black