Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I think maybe I'll try the Airhawk again

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Air Hawk. We have been using them for years on our rides, from way before Roho sold the company off. We work with wheelchairs, seating, positioning, and wound care. The Roho, which is what the Air Hawk is based on, is supposed to reduce pressure to the bony prominences (sit bones) by spreading (distributing) the pressure by means of immersions, reduce shearing forces as the cells move with you and allow for air circulation between the cells.
    I have used a pressure mapping system with and without the Air Hawk, the difference is significant, the key is proper inflation. You want just enough air in the cushion to prevent bottoming out, this will vary on your build/frame type. A really good starting point is to slightly over inflate the cushion, then open the valve with the cushion on a flat surface and no rider or pressure on it, let it equalize and close the valve. Because there isn't a whole lot of air in the cushion, very small changes in volume make a big difference.
    You should be able to rock slightly to the left and right and feel your IT's (sit bones) just start to bottom out, you can even use you hand to gauge the distance, it should be about the thickness of your finger between the seat and your IT's. FYI Temperature and altitude do affect the pressure.

I hope this helps,
    Ken
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2023 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's; very - vary ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    +1 on the Air Hawk. We have been using them for years on our rides, from way before Roho sold the company off. We work with wheelchairs, seating, positioning, and wound care. The Roho, which is what the Air Hawk is based on, is supposed to reduce pressure to the bony prominences (sit bones) by spreading (distributing) the pressure by means of immersions, reduce shearing forces as the cells move with you and allow for air circulation between the cells.
    I have used a pressure mapping system with and without the Air Hawk, the difference is significant, the key is proper inflation. You want just enough air in the cushion to prevent bottoming out, this will vary on your build/frame type. A really good starting point is to slightly over inflate the cushion, then open the valve with the cushion on a flat surface and no rider or pressure on it, let it equalize and close the valve. Because there isn't a whole lot of air in the cushion, very small changes in volume make a big difference.
    You should be able to rock slightly to the left and right and feel your IT's (sit bones) just start to bottom out, you can even use you hand to gauge the distance, it should be about the thickness of your finger between the seat and your IT's. FYI Temperature and altitude do affect the pressure.

I hope this helps,
    Ken
    Very good input KAMJAM. Some of the best I've ever read.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Kamjam answer is why this form works so great for us spyder owners .We tell each other what we have found by experience someone is always trying to help each other. Thanks

Spyder Garage

I think I'm going with the AirHawk. I'm on the road, I have to wait till we are in a place long enough to order it
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the positive responses, don't hesitate hit me up with questions on the forum or pm.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Spyder Garage

We cut some seat-sized pieces of memory foam (later switched out the memory foam for some Egg Sitter gel cushions) and put them under a couple of sheepskins from IKEA. Cool and comfy for long rides!

close up of sheepskin-memory foam seats.jpg
    Last edited by Arachnerds; 04-22-2023 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added follow up info
    2011 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I kept the Alaska Leather when I finally sold my Indian Springfield. It works great on my RTL, for me, but if I didn’t have it, sounds like the AirHawk would be worth a try!
    2022 RT Ltd, Deep & Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

I started with a Wild Ass seat cushion (very nice) then added a Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover - and love them both.
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black