Spyder Garage

Default Can two load resistors be wired in parallel?

I really want to replace the two OEM 1157 bulbs in my brake/tail (running) lights with LED’s. I want the brake lights to strobe. Superbright LED’s has a modulator (but I get a VSS fault/limp mode) with it. Superbright tells me that I need a load resistor on each the left and right. My question is if those two resistors AND the strobe module can be wired in parallel on the brake light wire just above the switch by the pedal? That way, with both of them in parallel, half the resistance will go to each brake light and just one strobe modulator will run the system
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First, since I'm not familiar with the RS are the turn signals amber and separate from the brake lights? Which modulator are you looking at? That can make a difference.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    First, since I'm not familiar with the RS are the turn signals amber and separate from the brake lights? Which modulator are you looking at? That can make a difference.
    The turn signals are on the upper rear Tupperware. The lights in question are the standard 1157 bulbs (“globes” to Peter) that are two filament bulbs. One filament is the running, or tail light, and the other is the brake light.
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Spyder Garage

What brake light modulator are you looking at? I don't find any on Superbrightleds.com. Signal Dynamics makes several different ones. I need to know which one you specifically are thinking of so I can see the wiring diagram and figure out how best to wire it in.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

NO!
    Not sure I read your question correctly or IF it was worded correctly BUT:

Two resistors in parallel on the main line is NOT the same as one resistor in each line.

AJ
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2023 at 09:25 AM. Reason: of - or ;-)

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

PaladinLV is correct if you were to parallel lets say 2 100 ohm resisters they would equal 50 ohms

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure he needs resistors to use LEDs with the brake light modulator. That's why I want to know what modulator he's thinking of using since it can affect how the ECM monitors the brake light circuit.

2014 Copper RTS