Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Door- I've Joined the Club

Thanks to all who have posted their info on installing a fuel door on their RT's. I finally got the nerve to "make the cut". It looked pretty good, but.....I hadn't taken it to the gas station for a test run yet. Just got back and am proud to say it was a success. To all of those who have questioned our doing this, you have not gone on a trip and had to untie your travel bag, remove it, and then replace it and strap it back down, every time you refuel. That gets old real quick. Thanks again to all of the pioneers who posted their work and made it doable for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Spyder F3L Special Series, Red (Oceanside, CA)
    2018 Spyder RT Limited, Pearl White (SLC, Utah)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ImaCaMan View Post
    Thanks to all who have posted their info on installing a fuel door on their RT's. I finally got the nerve to "make the cut". It looked pretty good, but.....I hadn't taken it to the gas station for a test run yet. Just got back and am proud to say it was a success. To all of those who have questioned our doing this, you have not gone on a trip and had to untie your travel bag, remove it, and then replace it and strap it back down, every time you refuel. That gets old real quick. Thanks again to all of the pioneers who posted their work and made it doable for me.
    Your welcome .... glad you tried and succeeded ... ..... Mike

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ImaCaMan View Post
    I've actually thought of doing this, but I'm afraid the filling nozzle would be somehow affected by it not filling the fuel tank correctly, or the leather of the seat would get worn out from the filler handle.

Any issues with that ????
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I put my fuel door the winter of 14, and have Not had any issues with it .... it's black, but even in the Sun on a hot day I don't notice it .... PS I NEVER wear shorts, so that could be an issue for some .... JMHO .... Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I could have saved you a bunch of money and time

Gas Door - sorry about the pictures being sideways.

Gas Door.jpg Gas Door Open.jpg

This is easy and undetectable when closed. An easy 'Do It Yourself' project
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2023 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You would be correct... especially in the republic of California with the giant gas filler nozzles