Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

We also ride alone. I decided about 40 years ago that group riding was a pain. For me anyway. That was after a gas stop and 40 miles later, we had to stop for gas again because the person did not need gas yet at the last stop! Did I say I hate people.
    Really though I have never felt the need to ride with anyone else. Like everyone else that has made a comment, you become your own boss. Like Utah Phillips used to sing, "Kick the boss's off your back".
    Cheers
    2021 F3S , Grey/orange

Spyder Garage

Looks like Bfromia and MonPaul might be the perfect riding partners for me. I can turn a 750 mile trip into 1,200 mies no problem.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The wife and I like to do trips together (her pillion) for the same reason as many have mentioned. But there is also a group of guys that always do a 'guy trip' every year. It is usually a 2 week trip. We always now where we will end up at the end of the day, so everyone can ride at their own pace. Some of the guys like to churn and burn while others of us like to take our time and enjoy the scenery.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Glad to see I’m not alone. My favorite ride is South by East - head South, see a road I like; go East; next time South… and then North and West. The people in groups are nice, but riding in a pack, not so much. Often too fast, too hard, and a lot of the same reasons others have stated. I think one or two to ride with would be good, when I find them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2023 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

The group I used to ride with stopped riding slowly (illness, and lost interest or moved)
    I used to ride with 2 up on my Harley with the wife . But ever since the grand kids were born and I bought the Can Am Spyder , she longer wants to ride. So I am now a solo rider. Every year I take a solo trip to the BRP or Maggie Valley. This year I have planed a week long trip May 18 to the 24 (solo) to Skyline drive, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Waya road and the Back of the Dragon. This is my 5th trip like this , I get to meet other riders on these trips, so I am ok with it. I do want to do a Butt burner 1K this year with some one , but if I can not find some one to do with me I wll do it alone.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

I might take you up on the butt burner tntnj, we have 2 events this year 1 that my bride is real interested in Spyders in AC and Spyderquest (haven't been back there in awhile )
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Yep, yep, yep……you and I are a 95% match (in a purely platonic sense of course, Peter ). Bad knees take hiking out of the equation, which is the 5% mismatch)…..Hey, you and I should get together for a ride sometime ……….Oh….wait……no, that wouldn’t work, would it

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I ride almost entirely solo, with or without my wife as passenger. I have no love for large group rides, but I do enjoy a day ride with a few others. Even though I ride a Spyder now, I am still a member of what used to be a chapter of the Gold Wing Road Riders Association. Group rides usually means 5 to 7 bikes at most. Some of the ride leaders have chosen destinations and routes that I might never have found on my own and have made for some great rides. Part of riding in a group is when you have confidence that everyone in the group is a skilled and responsible rider.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I'm a loner and love it.
    The only time I went with a group was when I had a V-Max back in 2003. A group had come up from the US to Montreal and as I new the leader I went along. At the first rest stop I quit and went home
    Heard later a rider had run into a roadside barrier and very badly broke a leg in several places, Had to be airlifted back to the US.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

My wife has no interest in any motorcycle, so I ride by myself. Most of my biking group have employment, so only available weekends. As such, I often ride solo. I do appreciate the overnight trips with a group, but I would prefer to travel during the week with less traffic and lines at restaurants.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ride both solo AND with a group. Riding solo offers me a chance to "meditate" and achieve a Zen-like mental state, especially on a LOOOOONG desert road with nobody around. Lucky for me, NV has TONS of roads like this.

When I ride in a group, I find it more relaxing to ride with friends I know and have the same temperament/interests. We usually keep the group small, around 6 bikes or so. I've done poker runs where we'd do the "rolling thunder" of more than 20 bikes, and while impressive, I don't find it very enjoyable.

I suppose it all boils down to my mood ....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

My wife and I ride solo 90% of the time. We do enjoy riding with others, also.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

The only time that I've riden the Spyder with another bike is when the neighbors want to go on a ride (another RT and a Ural).
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I am a fairly new Spyder owner. Bought my '22 RTL last Oct. But I have been riding for over 40 years. I also have a '08 Yamaha FJR. We do a lot of different type of riding, from day trips to 3-4 week vacations. I've tried group riding, and it's not really for me.

Now I do have 1 buddy that I have been riding with for almost 30 years. Our riding styles are the same, and have had many adventures together. We have put together larger groups to come with us on some of our day rides. and been told we ride "too long, too far, too hard". Most of the people we invited with us consider "going for a ride" a trip to a local "hangout" (usually a bar/restaurant), then sitting around for a few hours shooting the BS, then riding home. When I fire up my ride, I do so to go riding. We spend most of the day in the saddle. I live in the central valley of Calif. And average ride is over one mountain pass travel either north or south and come back another mountain pass. This is about a 350 - 400 mile run with a nice lunch spot to stop at someplace in the middle.

I haven't had the opportunity to take my Spyder on one of these runs yet. but I am looking forward to it. I am also planning 2 longer trips after things thaw out this spring. The first is a run up north and taking Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna, then Hwy 1 north into Ore. I have a sister who lives Outside Salem, I plan on cutting over from Hwy 1 to Salem to visit her. Then I'll head back home and stop at my Dad's in Medford. Later, I am planning a trip to Texas to visit family out there. Most likely going to go the Old Route 66 to Amarillo. I did this ride a few years back on the FJR and had a great time.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2023 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

I am not interested in large group rides, but I would love to find a Spyder rider or two in Southern Illinois that would like to go on rides. However, right now I can’t because I don’t have the time. Young kids, and always something going on. Back in the day when I was younger (in the 80s) we used to ride our bikes from Mount Carmel, Illinois to Sikeston just for Throwed Rolls. Or to Evansville just to go to the rallies. And it was just me and a couple of guys. Loved it. Miss it. Maybe one of these days I can do it again. But for now, I ride alone, and basically only commute to work and back.

Steve
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2023 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Caps & ,'s
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I normally ride with my wife as she loves to ride as much as I do as long as the weather is fairly decent. I will go out on my own when it's not the best as I am willing to ride in the rain. We live in Oregon and if you're a bluebird weather rider your season is short. I prefer riding with just her and me but we have led day rides of up to 26 Spyder's which can be a pain. We usually stay out several weeks at a time and mostly camp as the PNW has some of the best riding and camping around. She pulls the pop up and I pull a chuck wagon gear trailer with solar panels so we can camp off grid. We both love to ride, camp, and cook, and enjoy great gourmet meals when camping. We both love sitting around a campfire sipping a great cocktail or glass of wine in a comfortable chair.

IMG_3461.jpg IMG_E3189.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg IMG_3299.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2023 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Every Saturday, I ride with a group of two wheels for breakfast and a day ride. I find riding with a group is like "herding cats." I prefer riding solo but Saturdays are just for the friendship. Rode to Sturgis from L.A. alone last year and loved the solitude. Going to ride to the Deadwood 3wheel rally this year alone. I like to camp but the Saturday group are a bunch of lightweights and won't do overnight unless it's in a 5 star hotel. They are planning on going to Sturgis this year but they want to trailer. I'm sorry but a trailer is for a bike that is broken. What part of "ride" don't they understand? Oh well, good group of guys but I'll do my serious riding alone.

Life is not good or bad, it's just Life. Deal with it!

2018 F-3T, 2016 2500 Ram 4x4, 2020 VW Cross Sport, 2012 Travel trailer

Spyder Garage

I’ve ridden with a small group 4-5 others maybe three times that I can recall. Other then that I ride solo. For most of the same reasons most of the others have already mentioned.

When I want to stop to stretch my legs, restroom break, grab a bite to eat, whatever then I do. When I’m ready to hit the road again I don’t have to wait for anyone else to be ready. I’ll admit there’s something to say about the security about having a wing person in the case of emergency, but I’m not a big fan of the misery loves company theory.

But I suspect I'll be riding in a big group at least twice in July when I pay my respects to Deadwood South Dakota.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I like riding alone. My favorite rides were back when i got home from Nam in 69 Id pack my little 250 x6
    hustler with a sleeping pack and head out . Find a breakaway into the woods and camp for the night. Cant hardly do that anymore. Now its pack up and stay at hotels. I love exploring and always something new to see.. Riding alone is where its at for me.
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I enjoy the camaraderie at stops or end of day but I prefer to ride alone otherwise because I usually don't go faster than speed limit and I don't want to slow down anyone or try to catch up with speedy Gonzales.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Group riding is tough to accomplish when an afternoon nap on the road is a top priority!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Looks like Bfromia and MonPaul might be the perfect riding partners for me. I can turn a 750 mile trip into 1,200 mies no problem.
    Sounds good to me! I am always known for taking "longcuts" and that isn't always appreciated. And unless I am really in a hurry I won't take freeways because they are just too boring of a ride and rarely scenic (at least where I live) and my friends think that is crazy!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    Sounds good to me! I am always known for taking "longcuts" and that isn't always appreciated. And unless I am really in a hurry I won't take freeways because they are just too boring of a ride and rarely scenic (at least where I live) and my friends think that is crazy!
    Freeways, 2 or 3 wheels are only good when you got to get there and you're late.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2023 at 08:15 AM. Reason: your (belongs to you) - you're (contraction of you are). ;-)
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    My observation is that Interstate 15 is more scenic than US 89 where they parallel each other in Utah.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    My observation is that Interstate 15 is more scenic than US 89 where they parallel each other in Utah.
    I'm trying to think of where that would be...?
    2014 RTL Platinum