Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    My observation is that Interstate 15 is more scenic than US 89 where they parallel each other in Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm trying to think of where that would be...?
    Roughly from the US 50 junctions to US 6 junctions. 89 goes through a lot of small towns, commercial areas, and farmsteads that offer very little interesting to look at. I-15 is surrounded by sagebrush desert and mountains.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2023 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Roughly from the US 50 junctions to US 6 junctions. 89 goes through a lot of small towns, commercial areas, and farmsteads that offer very little interesting to look at. I-15 is surrounded by sagebrush desert and mountains.
    You're right, if you're just passing through. There are some interesting towns and side trips into the mountains along the way though, if you have the time.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 03-13-2023 at 06:22 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Idaho.....Utah...... you’re both forgetting that “Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder”!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I find small towns and farmsteads to be quite interesting and make fine subjects for my passion of photography.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Idaho.....Utah...... you’re both forgetting that “Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder”!
    That's why I rather enjoy riding through desolate desert sagebrush! Strip malls don't strike me as particularly scenic!

On the other hand, when wife and I did a seven day tour on a narrow boat on the canals in the Midlands of England in 1989 traveling through the backsides of old factories, through the heart of villages, and through green landscapes was very enjoyable!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Freeways, 2 or 3 wheels are only good when you got to get there and you're late.
    I need to find friends like you! I feel the exact same way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Freeways, 2 or 3 wheels are only good when you got to get there and you're late.
    I agree with that, mostly. My experience last year demonstrated there can be benefits of freeway riding vs. secondary roads. I needed to get back to Idaho from Iowa because my older brother was in bad shape, but I was not going to rush the trip. Riding on the freeway made it possible to cover the requisite miles in a day without the stress of additional hours it would have taken on secondary roads. That aspect went a long way to keeping my stress level in check. I was also more assured of getting a motel on short notice since the freeways are well populated with them. For a totally non-hurried and relaxing trip the secondary roads are best, but on the other hand freeways can also be relaxing.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKelly View Post
    I have attended a few motorcycle events and rallies and participated in some group rides over the years but very much prefer to do my riding solo. The big advantage for me is to be free to choose my route, my riding style, when and where to stop etc without having to account for the wishes and whims of others. I would guess that over my 40 plus years of riding more than 90 percent of it has been solo. My wife has never been comfortable on two wheels and her trike pillion riding is limited to the occasional half day ride.

My absolute favourite activity is a solo 3 or 4 day motorcycle (now trike) tour on curvy roads in good weather. The joy for me is taking in the surroundings and the freedom to adjust and adapt my ride to match my mood or current thinking or interests. I check in to hotels, find a local pub for dinner and spend the evening in my room reading a book or researching my next ride on my iPad. I seldom if ever watch live TV as I have no patience for the constants ads. I usually have a daily quick call or and exchange of texts with my wife but other than that I am truly solo.

I guess I am a loner by nature and don't feel the need to have company around to enjoy myself. I don't get anything out of large gatherings, cocktail parties or "small talk" I love to hike but again most of it is done solo for the same reasons as I avoid group rides. My wife is concerned about my safety on the longer more remote hikes so I have bought a GPS with a satellite communicator to make her feel a bit better about my solo trips. Yesterday I did a 14 mile hike in the mountains which took about 6 hours and only saw a couple of other hikers on the way. It was a beautiful day and and I relished the mountain scenery and peaceful solitude.

Are there others on this forum who feel the same or I am really the "odd man out"?
    Holy Cow we are kindred spirits. Exactly the same for me!

Spyder Garage

I ride solo only when the weather is too chilly for my wife. Then she rides with me. All our bike trips are her and I. We have done several with 1, 2, or 3 other bikes. You have to make sure you are all on the same page before the trip begins, our 500 mile day to get somewhere may be torture for someone else in the group. Communication is key.

Large group rides are typically just charity runs. We will ride out with the masses, but quickly separate with our 1 or 2 close friends after the first stop. Safer that way, for us.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

98% of the time its myself and my favorite passenger for over 40 years of 2 wheeled, now 3 wheeled riding. It offers the most flexibility to travel how we like and as someone mentioned having that second set of eyes as you get older is great. As for groups I only do this if I am asked to be a ride leader, or ride cleanup for rides like charity runs and local rides but this can be very stressful as you feel some what responsible for the group. You have no idea of group ride participants skill levels and in groups it just seems to bring out the stupide in some riders, causing very dangerous situations for the group. With my wife with me, being a RN we have attended to many "eventful" group rides, (why would you loan a bike to someone who just learned to ride two days ago, that was a bad one but a story for another time).
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

I've soloed across the US several times, camping along the way and cooking my dinner at the campsite. I derive a satisfaction from the ability to come and go as I please without compromising with others. It's almost a spiritual experience. I also often ride with one close friend, even though our riding styles are a little different. (He likes to go about 10 mph faster than I do.) Occasionally I'll ride with a group, but it's invariably for short (a few hours) rides. I like to relax and savor the scenery, the sounds, the smells. It's hard to describe the solo experience, but it's gratifying.

Bill McGrath
    2021 Spyder RT Limited , Petrol (100LL if you're a pilot)

Spyder Garage

Back in the early seventies I did few group rides and learnt that they weren't for me; it seemed that someone always had to get stupid in the middle of the group and make a mess of things; and trying to get everybody to stay to gather was a pain. They try to keep it organized but there are too many different riding styles. I have not done a group ride since the early seventies and only did a few then.

A group ride to me is her on the back with me up front. I like to meet people at the stops or where we're staying, and talk about where we've been and are going. But no group riding!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-15-2023 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

When we lived in AK, we were members of a motorcycle group. I joined in 2001 and quit in about 2018. The club welcomed all makes and models and during the first 10 years or so we had about 50 bikes participating on our Thursday rides.

Because of the numbers, we had five different groups...usually 10 or less. They were grouped according to ability and speed. I was ride captain of the newbie group. All had to start there. The club had a couple close calls in the later years, but no accidents. We did give the "I Faw Down" award every year though.

The group changed leadership in the last year we were members. We did not like the new "politics" and safety issues went down hill. Since then, it has been mostly Linda and I riding together. We have had biker friends visit a time or two. We did day trips with them to show off the scenery.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In my two-wheeled days, I did two one-day group-rides. My next-door neighbor, an excellent rider and instructor, was the group leader. Most of the riders were on VERY loud two-cylinder V-twin bikes, of various makes. They were all very nice people. Drove me nuts. Their nick names and hand signals and strictly enforced precision and protocol and all the seriousness made me have to work hard to not break out laughing. Of course they wouldn't have heard me: there was no sound but their need-a-better-muffler bikes.

I have two guys I ride with. On two wheels, now three. They're 150 miles away, so it's usually a trip we're on, two or more days. The longest was eleven. Camping. We get along. Don't mind silence. Have similar enough taste in food, all of which makes things easy. Not prone to complaint when my always used and elderly bike(s) would break. Good times.

More than two total I'm not fond of, verified last year when one said "Could my son join us?" The son was mid thirties, a good rider like his old man, and a pleasant fellow. The whole dynamic changed. Part of it was father-son stuff; I was neither so was, get ready, (on my spyder and) something of a third wheel.

The other guy has grown kids and a five year old daughter whose feet don't yet reach foot rests, so doesn't ride with dad. He and I are going to ride the San Juan Islands out of Anacortes, WA in September. He's on a new to him Yamaha. I know it'll be a good time and a good ride. Camping is something we both enjoy, especially combined with riding.

The wife and I travel together on the spyder and that works well. She no longer wants to sleep on the ground or wander out of the tent to find a toilet at night in the rain. Not sure why she finds that troublesome... Never traveled with another rider with her on board. As others have said, a second pair of eyes adds a level of safety and increases the odds of noticing interesting things along the road. And when she's on board, the engine seems to have a built-in speed limiter, kicking in when there's a knock on my helmet or words in the Sena we use between us. Had the same speed limiter when driving the autobahn in Germany back in the 80's. Interesting. I'd guess some of you have that same built-in speed control.

Let me conclude my novel by saying riding alone is my first choice, every time. Riding with ONE other rider, that one from a group of two is OK. Those two live in the same town, but have never met. I suspect a ride with the three of us is in our future. we'll see. More than two bikes at a time? No thanks.

My story may change. I'm retired. My two friends are still working. I might meet someone here in central Oregon to ride with. Time will tell. One guy I just met here on the forum, ButterSmooth, had a collision with a rock and is no longer riding. He's 18 or so miles east of me. Oh well. He's now enjoying a Miata. Good choice for him!

Summary: Group ride? Not for me.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

From some of our comments I see the makings of a group ride for those who hate riding in a group, preferring solo riding, solitude at day's end, no distractions etc.

The group of non-groupies could ride together 7-10 miles apart. Need help? Wait a bit and you're no longer solo (unless you're at the back of the line! No breakdowns for you!)

The Not A Group Group Ride?
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    From some of our comments I see the makings of a group ride for those who hate riding in a group, preferring solo riding, solitude at day's end, no distractions etc.

The group of non-groupies could ride together 7-10 miles apart. Need help? Wait a bit and you're no longer solo (unless you're at the back of the line! No breakdowns for you!)

The Not A Group Group Ride?
    Just running the numbers on your idea if you had say... 10 riders, send the 5 off together that like racing each other to the coffee shop.
    Give them 15 minutes head start. Space the rest out at 15-minute intervals.
    That's an hour and a quarter.
    Add the ride distance time of say 4 hours, that's 5 1/4 hours total.
    Most of the group riders I've come across need coffee every 2 hours that adds 1/2 hour so 5 3/4 hours now.
    One always forgets to fuel up so another 15 minutes there's 6 hours.
    One generally has a weak bladder that's 6 1/4 hours.
    One wants to adjust his belt that's 6 1/2 hours.
    We're now half hour past another coffee that 6 3/4, plus Mr. weak bladder, 7 hours.
    While we're riding past Harry's place, we have to drop off a ride schedule, so he turns up on the right day next time, 7 1/4 hours.
    The inevitable breakdown recovery mission holdup 7 3/4 hours, 8 if you have an early coffee break, 8 1/4 hours for nappy man.
    Refuel, 8 1/2 hours.
    Police harassment one of the gang looks like Sonny Barger, 8 3/4 hours.
    Meal-time, 9 3/4 hours.
    Now it's dark someone's headlight doesn't work.............................................. .......

Ah, a day full of memories!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 10:05 PM. Reason: 's & ' 's ;-)
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Wife and I do mostly sool rides. She likes being on the back to direct, keep an eye out, amd take pics. She usually sets the route to her phone, or mine, and off we go. We have been on group rides from rallies. But have been mostly disappointed. The leader rides too fast, or not enough potty stops. Or worse people that haven't ridden on group rides. And worse yet are the ones who refuse to abide by group etiquette!!!! They don't pull over when the rider behind them is not there, and then your ride is toast because they are gone. Yes it happens. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

We do this with the ROMEOS--a group riding organization that does not ride in a group, but meets weekly at a different restaurant for conversation. All come from different directions and some ride together if desired. I have been the "ride director" of the North Central Arkansas Group for over 10 years.
    I rode with regular groups when I first moved here in 2004. but found it too dangerous for 30+ bikes on these curvy roads with all skill levels (and some none). Here is a link that shows locations, details and maps to the ride/meets every week that our garmin guru so kindly posts.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...2093886509&z=6
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Spyder Garage

Big riding/driving events are fun once in a blue moon, especially if its for some kind of cause or charity.
    But I prefer to go out by myself, or with 4-5 friends that I know personally.
    In a big group of strangers all it takes is 1 or 2 idiots to do something stupid or attract the wrong kind of attention.
    Plus you never know who is a thief scoping out your ride.

Shows/meets are different because you're just hanging around talking, and most people arrive & leave separately.
    Last edited by Badmotorf1nger; 05-30-2023 at 09:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Both my wife and I prefer to ryde alone or with one or two other 's. If we in a lager group I try to ( sometimes insist) ryding sweep.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-30-2023 at 10:25 AM. Reason: SPEELLING
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

no more than 4 or 5 is my rule

Spyder Garage

Years ago riding with a Gold Wing group broke us of the desire to ride with a pack. One other possibly 2 good friends is enough, Alone 99% of the time and prefer it

Spyder Garage

For me, anything more than 2 motorcycles is TOO MANY! About 20 years ago, I went across the Great Smokey Mountains and up the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 300 miles, it was nothing I ever want to do again...LOL ... The ride was good, but too many people and bikes. I have had 2 or 3 different riders over the years that I really enjoyed riding with, but every one of them has passed in the last 40 years. It's an Old Age Thing.... LOL ....... I am in North-East Tn. and even now there are not many Spyder's around here. But maybe there will be soon.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-31-2023 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    In '07, my wife and I found out rather quickly that we're better off traveling alone. 15 of us went to Maggie valley, and after 3 hours of riding we were not out of Mass. (it should have taken 45 minutes) At the 5th rest stop in as many hours, we told the group we would see them at the hotel in Virginia later that night. (It was already 7am) so we hauled @$$ as far as Front Royal Va. Then jumped on Skyline Drive, completed that, & made it to the hotel at 8pm & in time for dinner ect ect.

Next morning and the group was still not there! A few txt's and phone calls and we found out they only made it to Allentown Pa. So we bailed again & told them we'd see them in Maggie valley. We did the BRP all the way to where it intersects 19, then we went to the hotel.

The ''group'' showed up 2 days later.... So, lesson learned, no group rides ever. We'll meet you for lunch/dinner and at a destination, but we travel alone.... maybe with one good wingman/woman.
    Me and Julie ride separately, but together. We have had a similar experience to yours... first and last group ride, meet ups are great. By the way, we love Maggie Valley, WTT is awesome and Dale is one of a kind!

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm both, depending on my mood.

Sometimes, when I'm on a group ride, I like taking "sweep" or "tail gunner" (the last rider). It makes me feel I'm a "lone rider" when I feel like spending time riding with the Battle Born Spyders (a local Spyder group based in Reno, NV).

But mostly, I do tend to ride solo ....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !