Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else a loner and not a group rider?

I have attended a few motorcycle events and rallies and participated in some group rides over the years but very much prefer to do my riding solo. The big advantage for me is to be free to choose my route, my riding style, when and where to stop etc without having to account for the wishes and whims of others. I would guess that over my 40 plus years of riding more than 90 percent of it has been solo. My wife has never been comfortable on two wheels and her trike pillion riding is limited to the occasional half day ride.

My absolute favourite activity is a solo 3 or 4 day motorcycle (now trike) tour on curvy roads in good weather. The joy for me is taking in the surroundings and the freedom to adjust and adapt my ride to match my mood or current thinking or interests. I check in to hotels, find a local pub for dinner and spend the evening in my room reading a book or researching my next ride on my iPad. I seldom if ever watch live TV as I have no patience for the constants ads. I usually have a daily quick call or and exchange of texts with my wife but other than that I am truly solo.

I guess I am a loner by nature and don't feel the need to have company around to enjoy myself. I don't get anything out of large gatherings, cocktail parties or "small talk" I love to hike but again most of it is done solo for the same reasons as I avoid group rides. My wife is concerned about my safety on the longer more remote hikes so I have bought a GPS with a satellite communicator to make her feel a bit better about my solo trips. Yesterday I did a 14 mile hike in the mountains which took about 6 hours and only saw a couple of other hikers on the way. It was a beautiful day and and I relished the mountain scenery and peaceful solitude.

Are there others on this forum who feel the same or I am really the "odd man out"?
    Last edited by PeterKelly; 03-10-2023 at 05:13 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Palm Desert)
    Grey - dark edition

2015 Spyder F3 S (Vancouver)

2017 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer