Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Once again, BRP didn't show up for Daytona Bike Week!!

Well, everyone of the manufacturers was there at the speedway to show case their models. Well sort of. BRP was no where to be seen! Even the new Chinese start up CF Moto was there. HD was not only there they brought 5 tractor trailers in. Shame on BRP not to be there. I believe they were at the Ride Now Powersports with their truck. A very small building with an even smaller parking lot. Tom
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2023 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Watching bits and pieces on the On Patrol Live program, it appears to be very similar to Sturgis. Mostly HD's. I can see why BRP would not be there.

Slingshots keep popping up though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Polaris was there with the Slingshots. Boss Hoss, and 3-4 trike manufacturers as well. Crotch rockets, trikes, cruisers were well covered. Indian had a big presence as well. Forgot to mention them. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

I don’t know this for fact, but I bet spyder is their weakest and least profitable of all BRP lines. The ryker was suppose to hit the younger generation and boost the line and I’m not really sure how that worked out. Powersport Sales are with the young generation and let’s face it, most spyder owners are 45 and older. I’m not saying 45 is old either. Their skidoo and off-road are their pride and joy. #1 in snowmobile production in the world and #2 production in jet boats in the world. When it comes to sales, off-road will always beat onroad productions. That is where they put a lot of money. Sounds dumb, but if this new off-road electric bike is a hit, they will care less about the spyder. Mx sales are always higher than street. I truly believe the electric mx circuit will be a hit. Guys buy 2-3 bikes for race days and 2 others for family and personal rides. For the amount of time used at the races and the super power the electric will be the next 4 stroke in the Mx series. In my opinion, and again I’m not saying electric is the way for spyders or SXS, and that the spyder is not important to them, but sales show off-road is way higher than onroad. Snowmobiles, jetski, off-road (wheelers, SXS and soon back in production next year MX) are BRP’s focus. Look at Honda and Yamaha. Yamaha is off-road #1, followed by jetski #1. Sled and motorcycle are almost non existent anymore with Yamaha. Honda is the mother of all productions and honestly their bike line is awesome if not one of the best, but again what do you see in their advertising? Cars, Power, off-road all lead their productions. I just don’t think it’s BRP’s #1 focus on spyder and sales are very low as in profits. They want to stay ontop of what they sell best. If they spread themselves to thin, they loose. The spyder is an awesome machine and I would never go back to 2 wheels but the number of units sold vs off-road units have to be 1 to 4. Most 30-40 year old guys will not blink at buying a $45k SXS and trade in or destroy in 4 years vs older guys buying 1 spyder every 50k miles. A family doesn’t own one off-road bike, they own 3 because of kids. They outgrow and buy larger. Same with wheelers and SXS. how many families own multiple spyders? Once the father has a son or daughter reach 16 they are not buying a spyder for them. They are buying a car. HD only sells bike. They need to advertise and push everything they can out there. Companies like BRP have to many lines to solely concentrate on each one equally.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 03-05-2023 at 03:45 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My .02 ..... BRP has no trouble selling all the Spyders they can build considering the parts shortages ..... so why spend a bunch of money on advertising?????? .... Jmho .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2023 at 04:52 PM. Reason: sens - spend ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think legacy events like Sturgis and Bike Week conjure the wrong image for sophisticated touring machines and the people who are attracted to them. I wouldn't go to either; I'm not a 'biker'.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If Can Am is bumping against their ability to increase Production numbers, that would not be a bad deal for them. I wish we were a little more privy to their thinking and planning. Are they planning to increase their 3wheel brand or ?????
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think legacy events like Sturgis and Bike Week conjure the wrong image for sophisticated touring machines and the people who are attracted to them. I wouldn't go to either; I'm not a 'biker'.
    Glad you are not part of BRP's marketing team either. Older bikers who have mobility issues would benefit from the Spyder and BRP has definitely dropped the ball with marketing the Spyder to those more affluent 20-40 year old's vs the Ryker which is just a glorified go cart on 3 wheels.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    vs the Ryker which is just a glorified go cart on 3 wheels.
    Whoa there Bucko! Just 'cause some of us don't want to ride a lounge chair is no reason for name-callin'.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Well, everyone of the manufacturers was there at the speedway to show case their models. Well sort of. BRP was no where to be seen! Even the new Chinese start up CF Moto was there. HD was not only there they brought 5 tractor trailers in. Shame on BRP not to be there. I believe they were at the Ride Now Powersports with their truck. A very small building with an even smaller parking lot. Tom
    I don't get that either.

Perhaps BRP is ashamed of being around vendors specializing in two-wheelers, who knows ?!?!

But TBH, BRP is shooting themselves in the foot. There's an aging (riding) population that continues to grow and this is the EXACT target demographic BRP needs to concentrate on. And where exactly does this target (riding) population spend a lot of time ??

At motorcycle rallies.

Like Daytona ....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    No disrespect since you're one of the better contributing members here, but I think you're wrong.

I ride both a Harley and a Can-Am. To ME, it's all about wind therapy whether on 2 wheels or 3. Daytona MAY attract the Harley snobs, but it also attracts others who enjoy the freedom of the open road. Cagers who don't know how to ride a bike, also attend these rallies for curiousity. Sure they can't ride a bike, but what IF BRP was there ?? Perhaps even a cager might want to give it test ride and get turned on to a Spyder. Even wives or girlfriends of 2 wheel riders who either (1) don't know how to ride a bike or (2) don't want to ride bitch anymore, might want to join their husbands and boyfriends on their Harley/Honda/Yamaha/ whatever bike on their own RT/F3/Ryker trike.

And what better way but for BRP to offer test rides in one of the biggest motorcycle rallies in the nation ??

IMHO, someone in BRP marketing is sleeping and not doing what he/she is being paid to do.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Btw, I've been to both rallies.

Sturgis is WAY better with regards to places to ride. Daytona may have better-looking bartenders, but IMHO, if you're only able to go to only ONE motorcycle rally, make it Sturgis.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    I don't get that either.

Perhaps BRP is ashamed of being around vendors specializing in two-wheelers, who knows ?!?!

But TBH, BRP is shooting themselves in the foot. There's an aging (riding) population that continues to grow and this is the EXACT target demographic BRP needs to concentrate on. And where exactly does this target (riding) population spend a lot of time ??

At motorcycle rallies.

Like Daytona ....
    us baby boomers ain't getting any younger.
    there's a 55 gallon drum full of reasons I'm riding a can am.
    but my heart will always be with Harley Davidson.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I realize there are many bikers who like the bad boy mystique and the boisterous vibe of rallies, even Spyder and Ryker owners. But, there are a few motorcyclists who are more into the technology, skill and other aspects of riding motorcycling that don't include large social gatherings. Maybe BRP has decided that is a significant enough demographic it doesn't need to appeal to the masses.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    us baby boomers ain't getting any younger.
    there's a 55 gallon drum full of reasons I'm riding a can am.
    but my heart will always be with Harley Davidson.
    That is why BRP needs to be there.

I'm a Harley fan myself, but I am not as closed-minded as other Harley diehards. IMHO, when older Harley guys aren't able to hold their heavy bikes up any longer, they're gonna shed their "Harley Ego" and opt for a safer machine, a machine that's cheaper and more advanced than any trike HD has to offer.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sturgis is WAY better with regards to places to ride. Daytona may have better-looking bartenders, but IMHO, if you're only able to go to only ONE motorcycle rally, make it Sturgis.
    I can and do ride that part of the country. I don't need the company of 50,000 bikers to do it. That's just me; I'm not disparaging rallies, but that scene isn't for me.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 03-05-2023 at 09:59 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Watching bits and pieces on the On Patrol Live program, it appears to be very similar to Sturgis. Mostly HD's. I can see why BRP would not be there.

Slingshots keep popping up though.
    I have been watching on Dish TV Chan. #299 On Patrol Yes a bunch of Harley's

Indians and plenty of GoldWings I only saw 1 Spyder RT and 1 Slingshot

Spyder Garage

Just returned home from the flat track Daytona racing events at Bubba Raceway. As usual the parking lot is full of motorcycles. Harley Davidson, Ducati, Triumph, a smattering of Gold Wings and a few other Jap bikes. The supporters of American flat track ride those bikes, not Can Am. Been like that for decades. Motorcycle events are supported by motorcyclists. Evidently Can Am riders are not motorcyclists.

I have a new Ryker and lots of Harley, Moto Guzzi, BMW, BSA and other bikes. Motorcycling is a way of life. Probably not so for Can Am riders. Shameful.

Spyder Garage

Hello,
    Lots of interesting reading here. IMHO either BRP is dumb or they don’t care, or possibly an economic issue. They’re happy with the way things are and economically N. America is is still on shaky ground, or just not firm ground. Obviously they’re not hot to expand the line currently.
    I’ve never understood BRP marketing… always promoting the fringes while mostly ignoring the base, not sound strategy. I usually don’t support companies like this but I wanted the product so I had to bend.
    I wish BRP the best of luck, they’re gonna need it as I see other possible competitors starting up more often.
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2022 Spyder F3 Special Edition
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

...200% .... the largest group of BRAND specific owners are by far and away H.D. owners.... and most of them are getting to an age where a Heavy two wheel Mtc. is not beneficial to their health or riding pleasure .... JMHO ... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think Spyders are a niche market and BRP knows that. They're not trying to appeal to the mass market, as represented at big rallies.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

BRP has never really spent any meaningful money on advertising, but then again, when was the last time anyone saw any advertising for ANY motorcycle, be it 2 wheels or 3 wheels? In motorcycle magazines, sure, other manufacturers pitch their machines but not BRP. They don't spend money pitching Off Roads, Ski Doos & Sea Doos because they don't have to. Those products sell themselves, and BRP sell a hell of a lot of them. The Can Am dealer here in Austin has one Sea To Sky and one Ryker on their showroom floor, and more than a half dozen ATV's showcasing BRP's extensive choices. Out back there are endless crates of Sea Doos and ATV's. The rest of the showroom floor is Honda, Triumph, BMW, Kawasaki, Slingshot, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, etc. To most powersports dealers, Spyders & Rykers are an afterthought, they only sell them so that they can sell other BRP products. BRP may seem heartless to us Spyder & Ryker owners, but they are not stupid. They know where the real money is.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...200% .... the largest group of BRAND specific owners are by far and away H.D. owners.... and most of them are getting to an age where a Heavy two wheel Mtc. is not beneficial to their health or riding pleasure .... JMHO ... Mike
    And if those guys buy a trike, it will be a Harley, not a Spyder.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe the info in this quote from the FY 2022 BRP Annual Report will shed light on why they didn't bother with Daytona. https://news.brp.com/static-files/d1...b-a22365794df2

OUR 3WV HAVE BEEN CHANGING THE FACE OF RIDING IN MULTIPLE WAYS SINCE 2007,
    AND EVEN MORE SO SINCE 2019. IN FY22, WE CONTINUED TO OUTSTRIP THE MOTORCYCLE
    INDUSTRY IN OPENING THE ROAD AND BRINGING THE THRILL OF THE RIDING EXPERIENCE
    TO ALL, AND OUR EFFORTS WERE RECOGNIZED AROUND THE WORLD. #WECANALLRIDE
    ON-ROAD
    STREAKING AHEAD WITH CAN-AM ON-ROAD
    Retail sales for Can-Am On-Road continued to break records
    in FY22, with a solid growth compared to the previous year.
    In fact, the size (in number of retail units) of the Can-Am
    On-Road business in North America is now triple what it
    was in FY18.
    OPENING THE ROADS TO MORE PEOPLE
    Can-Am Ryker is attracting more new entrants than ever
    before, and is proudly welcoming younger and more diverse
    owners than the motorcycle industry average. In FY22, 55%
    of Ryker buyers had never owned a motorcycle, an increase
    from the previous year, and better than the 34% industry
    average. Additionally, according to the statistics collected
    by the US Department of Motor Vehicles, 70% of owners
    were under 55, 38% identified as female, and 49% as
    ethnically non-European, compared to motorcycle industry
    averages of 65%, 21% and 32% respectively (Source: IHS
    Data US Ryker vs On-Hwy Market).
    MAKING OUR MARK FOR WOMEN OF ON-ROAD
    Our Facebook community’s membership increased
    by 70% to reach 11,800, while the campaign
    was recognized with nearly 20 awards from around
    the globe, including for “Engaged Community”
    (US Effie Awards), and “Demonstrated Growth”
    (ANA Multicultural Excellence Awards).

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have been watching on Dish TV Chan. #299 On Patrol Yes a bunch of Harley's

Indians and plenty of GoldWings I only saw 1 Spyder RT and 1 Slingshot
    Hey maybe it was me. Petrol Blue RTL.... Tom