Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Call out Video to Can Am On Road

Please watch the whole video before making comments. I think a lot of this has to be said. You may not agree with everything, but you can't say I don't make some solid points here.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-15-2023 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Removed non-sponsor advertising...:-/
    2013 RS , Custom black and green

Spyder Garage

Actually you made some very realistic observations about the company and products.
    The first Spyder was geared toward younger riders as they were setup to lean forward like a sport bike
    and the starting price was $ 15,000.00 and quickly climbed to 15,500.00 because of initial demand.
    However the older riders adopted the platform and modified it to be more of a cruiser/ touring machine. BRP catered to that market to create the lineup we have now. The younger riders that want to really turn up the wick should be catered to as well. I’m not a performance oriented rider at this point but there’s plenty of riders that want that are. The lineup definitely needs some new ideals. Keep pushing the boundaries and let’s see what these machines are capable of. The rest of us will continue to cruise at a different pace.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

I stopped watching the video after just a few minutes of your focus on prices. Price is always arbitrary to some degree. Saying that these base prices are too high is just your opinion. When I bought my new RT in 2021 it came to just about $24,000 out the door, all taxes and fees included, and I was given a $14,000 trade in on my Goldwing. I thought the price was quite reasonable especially since the alternative for me, i.e., triking my Goldwing, would have cost me about $18,000 and I would still have had a 6 year old machine. And the price of my RT seemed almost a give away when compared to the $32,000 a friend paid for a new Harley that same year.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I stopped watching the video after just a few minutes of your focus on prices. Price is always arbitrary to some degree. Saying that these base prices are too high is just your opinion. When I bought my new RT in 2021 it came to just about $24,000 out the door, all taxes and fees included, and I was given a $14,000 trade in on my Goldwing. I thought the price was quite reasonable especially since the alternative for me, i.e., triking my Goldwing, would have cost me about $18,000 and I would still have had a 6 year old machine. And the price of my RT seemed almost a give away when compared to the $32,000 a friend paid for a new Harley that same year.
    I guess I just don't have the disposable income that 90% of the can am riders have. Why would you want to pay more?? I'm having a really hard time understanding that part.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Compared to Harleys and other big bike brands, what BRP charges isn’t that bad. We’re not only getting more of a motorcycle but we’re getting a one-of-a-kind ride. Nothing else like it. I think it’s not a bad deal for what we’re getting.

I mean just look at the price of the Suzuki Hayabusa. $18,500

https://suzukicycles.com/sportbike/2022/hayabusa
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 03-09-2023 at 12:16 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the video, interesting thoughts.

I really only have a couple of comments....

Pricing, I think, is really what market will bear.... not really sure how else to put that. I wanted a Spyder, so if I wanted to ride one, I had to pay. It was my recreational vehicle, like my 2-wheeler before it. That being said, I would have appreciated a lower price.
    Service departments are another thing. I would really love a better network, but my "local" seems to know what they are doing, so I am mostly happy with that.
    Regarding having fun, to each their own, and those that are not or can not be respectful with their comments, just let it go. Life is easier that way
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

You do make some valid points. I think you are not being realistic on pricing though. With a Honda PCX scooter selling for $4,000 and the average new car price being almost $45,000 now, the Spyder's are not overpriced. Thanks for the video.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix38 View Post
    I guess I just don't have the disposable income that 90% of the can am riders have. Why would you want to pay more?? I'm having a really hard time understanding that part.
    Its not that I want to pay more, its just that saying "the price is too high" is just a personal decision. To me, $1 would be too much to pay for a professional quality surfboard, because I do not surf. My wife, who dislikes guns, would not pay $1 for a brand new Henry lever action rifle that I am thinking about buying for about $1,000. Would you get more value, i.e., pleasure out of a new Ryker than you would a Honda Rebel 1100 that sells for a few thousand more? If so, the Ryker then is a bargain. People pay premium prices for Harley Davidson motorcycles. Are those bikes worth the price? To the buyer they are, or they wouldn't buy it. To me, not so much.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Wow, between this tread and BRP not showing up at a rally, I surely hope it gets warm quick so we can all get out and ride instead of bashing a company that we love to ride with. As for price……… Sorry to be blunt, but this guy needs to go look at what a SXS costs right now. Yep $45K from $23K 4 years ago. You want one go buy it, if not don’t. Snowmobiles are now up to $21K from $11K 4 years ago. You want one go buy it. If not don’t. Four wheelers are now $15K from $7K 4 years ago. You want one go buy it. If not don’t. As for actual Spyder pricing, My 2017 RTL was listed at $26999. I didn’t pay that, but that was the listing 4 years ago. It has only jumped $2000. I’ll take that jump compared to the rest of the industry. Thats like nothing compared to everything else including cars and trucks. My diesel truck is now over $100K now and 4 years ago was $79K. Pricing on the spyder is fine and hasn’t changed very much. The rest of the video I skimmed through and I have a pretty good dealer so I’m not complaining. I am willing to drive or trailer it to the next good one 2 hours away too if needed. We’ve all had shady or poor service with repairs on everything we own. Simply don’t go back or find another location. We do it with purchasing cars, picking flying airlines etc. The solution is out there, you just have to find it. Waiting time………… Heck my son had a deer go through the windshield of his brand new truck last November. Guess what??????? Its still sitting at the repair center because of backorder parts and the many other cars and truck hit from deer last season. An average dealership sells a couple 1000 units a year between all the power sports, the spyder is only one of them. That means in 5-10 years thats 10000 units that will need repairs at one location. Power sports will always need repairs, thats the nature of the beast. Of course repair time is limited and pushed back because its not like you can take a SXS, wheeler, boat, snowmobile, jet ski, spyder anywhere, it needs to go back to that dealer because its a specialty item. Take your spyder to a ford dealer and see what they say if you need repairs. They’ll laugh and say sorry take it to the power sports place, we can’t touch it. How many power sport facilities are in each large area? 1 or 2 every 30-60 minutes apart. I’ve had every brand of powersports and every type too. (SXS, wheelers, jet skis, snowmobiles, motorcycles on/off, and even a small plane.) Sorry but BRP in general has been some of the best equipment I have ever owned. It’s their company, their decisions. Do you really think any company cares once its driven off the lot. If the machine is reliable enough to last 4 years that how powersports works. Average person trades, sells or destroys their powersports in 4 years and thats what industry banks on. Every industry has falsified their adds. Look at the new dumb commercials of the Chevy trucks bopping across the desert and highlands. Give me a stock Chevy truck in that commercial that they are promoting and let me try that. I bet the shocks fall off in the first 3 miles and the frame twists. Dodge and ford do it also. Give me one of those 550 supercharge motors and I’ll pull a 32’ boat with it up and incline. Bet it won’t work! Can am promotes in all their videos the skidoo mountain sled even though it shown a trail. People want to see the action but go for it, buy it and you’ll be surprised and complaining that yours didn’t hold up to the commercial. My wife is in productions and half the crap we see on TV is fake set up. What looks good on paper is not what works in real time. Why do they need to advertise when they they are already #1 in snowmobile, #2 SXS, #2 in jet ski, #2 in wheelers in world production. We simply choose to buy or not buy. BRP is not going anywhere. I can’t bash and will not bash BRP/ Can am division. The spyder is a heck of a good machine that almost all of us will agree is virtually bulletproof compared to other brands. Seriously, yes there have been blown up engines, stupid brake release problems, bad wire connections but as a whole it is one reliable machine so BRP/ Can am spyder did something right or we wouldn’t own it!

Rant over…. Come on warm days get her so we can get out and ride!
    Last edited by Wmoater; 03-09-2023 at 02:44 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I think your video is right on you are just making constructive criticism. I doubt that BRP will do anything about it but who knows.....I really don't know anyone who likes the BRP GO APP its learning curve is steep and its not reliable. I'm sure they've heard it all and they continue to produce it ... JUST SAYING and yes we are all bored waiting for Spring and warm weather ,,....
    GOOD JOB ON YOUR VIDEO

Spyder Garage

One further thing to think about with pricing……..

The Spyder wrench I use is 5 hours away, and would still go to him if he was 10 hours away. He has been servicing Spyders since the beginning and knows them inside out. He is an independent wrench and services Honda and BMW among others, and as a result has some very highly placed contacts in Honda and BMW.

When I was there last, we were discussing pricing, and he mentioned that in conversations with his Honda and BMW “mates”, they do not believe they could produce factory manufactured reverse trikes, with the features of say, an RT-L, for much under the $60k AUD mark. (An RT-L sells for around $45k AUD out here, about the same as a BMW K1600 or Honda Gold Wing). Any reverse trikes Honda or BMW manufactured would, of course, have to be manufactured to a high standard as befits their marque’s name….. resulting in a significant price gap, and they don’t believe there would be enough of a market for them to take the risk.

He firmly believes that $45k AUD is a fair price for what we are getting with Spyders, and I have to say that I agree with him.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2023 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Well, given the fact that a Harley Tri Glide Ultra STARTS at $36,500, and a Sea to Sky STARTS at $31K, the S2S would seem to be more attractive given that the Spyder is a reverse trike, which as we all know is inherently more stable, as well as much safer, than a traditional trike. I'm perfectly happy with my 2017 RTS, and feel that I got a fair price as I bought it as a leftover in 2018. I also got what I wanted for the trade in of my 2013 RTL. The only hiccup it has had was the parking brake assembly failure early on covered under warranty. As to service, I have never waited more than a week for a service appointment, which seems totally reasonable to me. I waited two days for my last appointment for annual maintenance, in and out the same day. Now, I never really got along with my 2013 RTL, it stranded us one too many times to the point that my wife refused to get on it ever again, even after the 2013 recall work was done. Yeah, we had to wait a long time for the front sprocket issue to be remedied, which IMHO BRP totally dropped the ball on, which I also feel they did with the 2013 heat issues. I don't think any vehicle is really bulletproof, although some do come close. I'm sticking with what I know, and what the wife and I both enjoy. We're heading out next Friday for a long weekend road trip, and I know my Spyder will get us there and back with big smiles on our faces.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2023 at 07:50 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

blackphoenix38, Pardon me but what are your qualifications to be offering an assessment that make it worth my while to watch? I skipped through the video and all I see is the personal opinion of an owner who doesn't like the pricing structure of BRP. We all have personal opinions, and judging from some responses plenty of folks here don't give a rat's behind about mine! So why should I care about yours?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    blackphoenix38, Pardon me but what are your qualifications to be offering an assessment that make it worth my while to watch? I skipped through the video and all I see is the personal opinion of an owner who doesn't like the pricing structure of BRP. We all have personal opinions, and judging from some responses plenty of folks here don't give a rat's behind about mine! So why should I care about yours?
    I don't really understand your question? Qualified for what?? Not wanting to pay more than I should for something? For trying to hold a company accountable for raising prices on an already small niche market?

Again, no one's comment or thoughts matter if you didn't watch the whole video. You don't watch the first half of a movie and then give your take on the ending you never saw...

I can see why things are the way they are with these responses. lol Must be the age gap.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2023 at 10:07 PM. Reason: then (a point in time) - than (the other option...) & profanity deleted ;-)

Spyder Garage

He brought up some really good points, and all I have to say is he should go to BRP and fill out a application for a job, he would be good to have on our side of the fence. But I also think that after he drank the corporate Kool-Aid he would fade into the woods. Unfortunately, there seems to be a big change in the way everything is happening these days from cars, to peddle bikes, they only want to build as many units as they can sell, they want us to preorder with no guarantee that we will get what we want in the end with all the bells and whistles attached! I have seen it on snowmobiles, cars, bikes, they are all doing the same thing! Pricing, well I believe that it the old saying they are going to push it as far as they can, until we stop buying, they will hold the prices up there! My self, I know I will never be able to buy a New vehicle of any kind anymore, I will be buying second hand, low mileage and fix it myself when I can!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wasted about 13 minutes of my retirement, skipped a little.

Spyder Garage

I don't really understand your question? Qualified for what?? Not wanting to pay more than I should for something? For trying to hold a company accountable for raising prices on an already small niche market?

Again, no one's comment or thoughts matter if you didn't watch the whole video. You don't watch the first half of a movie and then give your take on the ending you never saw...

I can see why things are the way they are with these responses. lol Must be the age gap.
    i have to agree with you on quite a few points.
    the 2020 + RT-L are weak in the performance department, BRP could have given us a grandma mode/ a sport mode/sport plus mode and hold hold baby were about the shred the rear tire .

there is next to zero adjustability of and of the controls ( unless you consider being able to ''rock'' the handle bars about an inch up/down)

i had many more complaints in my video... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZL...SLICEofAmerica )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If complaints were $$ there would be a lot of rich people on this site (maybe this world lately) . Perfect machine ? No, but wouldn't consider giving it up at all and there isn't something out there better that I've seen. This post is not directed at any one person.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    If complaints were $$ there would be a lot of rich people on this site (maybe this world lately) . Perfect machine ? No, but wouldn't consider giving it up at all and there isn't something out there better that I've seen. This post is not directed at any one person.
    I can tell you that 95% of the comments and messages to me have been about the prices and money. I have this one lady telling me how poor I am lol... never once did I say I couldn't afford what Can Am is offering, my whole point was the entry level prices might be a little steep for new riders looking to get into the market.

No one watched the end of the video, where I actually say I do like the spyders and rykers and what Can Am is doing. but there is so much more they could be doing and getting many more people involved in riding 3 wheels.

As Mikey brought up, I would love to work for them as an ambassador or marketing or something. But I would most likely rock the boat way to much for them. I don't drink kool-aid

also.. editing my other post was cute...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems entry level pricing may now be an issue across the boards. If you're referring to me I don't have the ability to edit. No offense and only my opinion but I wouldn't be expecting a call from BRP anytime soon.
    Last edited by Saluda; 03-10-2023 at 08:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

There were some valid points in the video, But not all boomers ride at 20 mph.
    If you think BRP prices are too high, I was at the Ford dealer getting my work van serviced , they had a 2022 Bronco 20K over list. That is insane, anyone who buys that is an idiot.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

I was with you until you singled out "boomers". Spyders are a natural move for older riders who can no longer safely operate a two wheeled bike but still enjoy the thrill of riding. We don't all putt along, clogging traffic.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Are you a marketing professional? Have you studied and researched powersports marketing enough to present data that shows the relationship between marketing methods and expenditures and resulting sales? Do you have experience in measuring the correlation between motorcycle pricing and sales volume? If your answer is in the negative then what you presented is pure personal opinion and is worth no more to me than the opinions of the other hundreds of users on this forum. If you don't have extensive experience in marketing and pricing then your opinion, on its own, doesn't mean diddly squat to BRP other than being one more vote against their pricing strategy. What you and I don't know is how many votes it will take to prompt them to reconsider their pricing strategy.

Oh yes I do!

I get the impression you expect everyone who watches your video to accept what you say as valid observations as evidenced by your words, "but you can't say I don't make some solid points here". I'm sorry, but what you offered up in the video is opinion, not the results of market research. Everyone is free to offer opinions, and everyone is equally free to reject or accept them.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I watched the entire video as requested.
    Price: I paid OTD 23k in 2019 for a 2020 RT Base. Previous 3 Triumphs were each ~21k. I had no issue with paying for the RT.
    Market: I don't believe BRP is targeting young riders nearly as much as us "BOOMERS". Consider the millions of aging riders that still have a heart beat and CHOOSE to move to the trike. What is a niche market now will only grow as you and the other non-BOOMERS stay alive.
    Service: Don't get me started! I learned long ago that no one cares for my toys more than I so dealers only see me when I purchase.
    Thrill Factor: I'm 76 and haven't changed my 'highly spirited' riding style. I had to do a few performance mods to make the RT keep up with my 2-wheeled, much younger hooligans on BMW RS1000s& RT1250s. Frankly, since I'm not the wheelie type (just G-forces) I have no need to unleash the raw 1330 abilities by killing the nanny to show off.

Your opinion is noted. Time to prep for my Sunday ride.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-10-2023 at 07:05 PM. Reason: my - me ;-)
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

16 minutes of my life that I will never get back.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .