Spyder Garage

Default Adding Comms to modular helmet

Hello all!

This is my first post here on the forums, so I apologize in advance if this should be in a different sub forum.

I am researching on getting a communication device to add to both my my and my wife's helmets. Our helmets are both Sedici Sistema II which is a modular helmet. The device I was looking into is the Cardo PACKTALK Bold. Will this work ok on our helmets? I do see that it is compatible, just curious mostly on how to run the mic if the front part of the helmet lifts up.

Thank you all in advance!
    Rob
    2020 Can-Am Ryker 600
    2021 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited
    2020 600 , Can Am White Design

Spyder Garage

I have the packtalk slim on my Shark Evo one two modular and love it!
    The Journey IS the Destination
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rap4th View Post
    Hello all!

This is my first post here on the forums, so I apologize in advance if this should be in a different sub forum.

I am researching on getting a communication device to add to both my my and my wife's helmets. Our helmets are both Sedici Sistema II which is a modular helmet. The device I was looking into is the Cardo PACKTALK Bold. Will this work ok on our helmets? I do see that it is compatible, just curious mostly on how to run the mic if the front part of the helmet lifts up.

Thank you all in advance!
    Rob
    Check out the Cardo Edge too. I’m hearing that some that have run the Bold prefer the Edge over the Bold. For the record I have the Bold and it’s pretty good but not perfect.

The Bold (and probably all units) come with a boom mic for use with modular helmets. You remove the cheek pad and attach the boom using their included tape and let the boom extend out from underneath the cheek pad, easy.

PS some are also saying Cardo is coming out with something new on March 8th so might hold off a day before deciding.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

You can use an adhesive mount or even the clip on mount slide between the outer shell and inner shell - put it just behind where the flip up is so the flip up doesn't interfere. I use a boom Mic held in place between the cheek pad and inner shell. This allows the mic to still work open or closed - and you can bend the boom inward toward your mouth so the opening and closing of the chin bar doesn't interfere. Hopefully that particular modular has the speaker spots if not - you may need to cut some of the foam to make them fit.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Awesome! Thank you for the input! I will wait the couple of days to see what comes out from Cardo!

Rob
    2020 Can-Am Ryker 600

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks as if you have a couple of choices. If you have a flip up chin guard you may want to go with the hybrid mic if you ride much with the chin guard in the up position. The only thing is that you can get a lot of wind noise that way. Be sure and use the foam defuser that comes with it and get an extra one because they disintegrate over time.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the input!

I always ride with the helmet in the down position. I just flip up the visor at lower speeds.

Rob
    2020 Can-Am Ryker 600

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    You can use an adhesive mount or even the clip on mount slide between the outer shell and inner shell - put it just behind where the flip up is so the flip up doesn't interfere. I use a boom Mic held in place between the cheek pad and inner shell. This allows the mic to still work open or closed - and you can bend the boom inward toward your mouth so the opening and closing of the chin bar doesn't interfere. Hopefully that particular modular has the speaker spots if not - you may need to cut some of the foam to make them fit.
    Agree. That's what we did with our modulars and they have worked without issue for several years.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Check out the Cardo Edge too. I’m hearing that some that have run the Bold prefer the Edge over the Bold. For the record I have the Bold and it’s pretty good but not perfect.

The Bold (and probably all units) come with a boom mic for use with modular helmets. You remove the cheek pad and attach the boom using their included tape and let the boom extend out from underneath the cheek pad, easy.

PS some are also saying Cardo is coming out with something new on March 8th so might hold off a day before deciding.
    I am running the brand new Shark Evo GT and Cardo Edge. A most excellent setup. The Cardo is so good I can carry on a conversation with the visor flipped back. Spend the extra money and get the Edge or whatever may be coming out that could be better.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You’ll find a world of helpful info on YouTube.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QL6YkDXQ...SIkaIECMiOmarE
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Give Motorcycle Dave a call, he's one of the sponsors on here, he sells Sena. My wife and I have two different sets of units, we run the 10s in the wintertime in our modulars. and the 30's in the summer on our 3/4 helmets! They work good for us, and I don't think you can beat Dave's service, nice guy to talk to, very helpful!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Give Motorcycle Dave a call, he's one of the sponsors on here, he sells Sena.
    Dave also sells Cardo now and is great to talk with about what will work in different situations.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I added a Cardo Packtalk Edge to my modular helmet. It's really easy to do. The mic mounts inside the helmet, and doesn't interfere with the opening/closing of the face shield.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Not sure if this helps since it's a different comm unit, but I also have the Sedici Sistema II and recently added the Cardo Freecom 4X to mine. The boom mic that it came with works great - I am cautious when I close the modular section to make sure the mic doesn't get hung up in the mechanism, but it's not a hassle...it only takes an extra second to make sure. The speaker cutouts were plenty adequate for the Cardo speakers. Overall I'm happy with the helmet and the Cardo setup - pic attached.
    Helmet.jpg
    Last edited by CRJames; 03-07-2023 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Words