Spyder Garage

Default Can I run GPS off the Battery Tender lead? Leave it connected while charging, or not?

Through my life, job and personal, I have followed the 'There is no stupid question' idea. Also 'You have not because you ask not', & I believe that applies to wisdom. So here goes; I have a Battery Tender properly attached directly to my battery and it works as it is supposed to. Can I also add a second component, i.e. my GPS, directly to the battery w/ the battery tender attached? If the answer is yes, then also, can I leave the GPS unit on the mount or should I remove it when I use the Battery Tender? 2019 Spyder F3 Ltd, tender is a Battery Tender brand, & the referred to GPS is a Garmin Zumo 660. Thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-06-2023 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Don’t know if it would do any damage, but would make sure the GPS is turned Off.
    Personally would disconnect the GPS unit while charging.
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

No problem with the GPS hooked directly to the battery other than you will have to make sure you always turn it off when you finish a ride or you may find it will not start when you try next. If the GPS is off it will not know if the battery tender is hooked up or not, no need to remove.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think that's a stupid question. It shows a healthy respect for the electrical system's capabilities and limitations and your own understanding of them.

I agree with the the previous responses. You can do what you propose, with the given caveats. I think it makes more sense to tap into a nearby accessory or lighting circuit though, since the draw is minimal but enough to drain your battery if left on for a long time.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Your picture shows you are riding an F3.... You can always hook it up to the GPS connection point that BRP has given you...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiderDuke View Post
    Your picture shows you are riding an F3.... You can always hook it up to the GPS connection point that BRP has given you...
    Best answer!
    That is how my Zumo XT is powered and I will be doing that for a buddy today also. Both are 2018 RT and GPS2 connection is behind the fuel tank and accessed by removing tupperware.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So much easier to just use a smartphone. Either on its own plugged into the USB in the glovebox with a USB data blocker or as part of the BRP Connect using BRP Go app.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone, I got the GPS on & wired direct & it's working properly. Got a slight scare, when 1st put Zumo on the mount it didn't start up, hum. Checked my wiring, OK! So I checked the inline fuse that I included in my install, guess what, no fuse in the holder, I had fuses, put one & walla fixed. This is the first time that the bought aftermarket inline fuse holder didn't come with a fuse in it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1947 View Post
    Thank you everyone, I got the GPS on & wired direct & it's working properly. Got a slight scare, when 1st put Zumo on the mount it didn't start up, hum. Checked my wiring, OK! So I checked the inline fuse that I included in my install, guess what, no fuse in the holder, I had fuses, put one & walla fixed. This is the first time that the bought aftermarket inline fuse holder didn't come with a fuse in it.

OK first photo shows you on a really steep hill and the second that you tipped over on your side.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Apparently I do not know how to post a pic on this forum. It always post my correctly upright (in my Galaxy tablet Gallery) picture sideways ????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1947 View Post
    Apparently I do not know how to post a pic on this forum. It always post my correctly upright (in my Galaxy tablet Gallery) picture sideways ????
    If you take pictures in 'Portrait mode' on your camera or tablet, posting them here will show them sideways, because for some reason the vBulletin software uses the Top LEFT corner of the pic as its Anchor Point, while many tablets & phone's, cameras etc use the Top RIGHT corner of the device when in Portrait Mode as their Anchor Point; so anything taken that way & posted here flips the pic sideways to put the identified Anchor Point into the Top LEFT corner of the displayed pic.... . But it's not something we can readily change, nor is it something that can be modified readily without significant expense & ongoing difficulty in maintaining & updating the Forum platform!

HOWEVER, there is an easy solution - simply make sure that ANY PICS you want to post here have been taken on your tablet, phone, or camera in LANDSCAPE Mode by Dropping the TOP OF THE DEVICE LEFT, ie, turning it from Portrait to Landscape Mode by turning it 90° Counter-Clockwise! That matches the pic/image Anchor Point to the Forum Default Anchor Point and so the pic/image will be shown in the orientation you expect.

That said, there should be no real issue if a pic or two happens to end up sideways (or even upside down - as will happen if you turn your image capturing device from Portrait Mode into Landscape Mode by dropping its Top to the Right, ie Clockwise instead of COUNTER-Clockwise!! ) In the overall scheme of things, that's nothing too much to worry about, probably wasn't deliberate, and is not really anything insurmountable or to take offence at, is it now?!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!