Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST-L got sick after a simple bath - HELP!?!

So my beloved 2013 Spyder ST-L is mad as hell! I recently got her a couple of days back and was working perfect other than being dirty. So I gave her a much-needed bath and when I started her to get her back in the garage, particularly when I put her in gear (SE5), she was barely moving and sputtering like hell. I took her around the block and no power, still sputtering, and smells like hell - like unburned gas.

My thinking is it feels like it’s probably firing only one cylinder after getting something wet but is anyone else experienced this?? I simply just washed the outside only I’m not sure what could have caused her to get a “cold” like that!

Is there a way to pull up the codes on the dashboard like you can the newer RT? If so, what is the procedure?

Thanks in advance y’all!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2023 at 08:09 PM. Reason: unbured - unburned ;-)

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear.

Pulling codes While running:
    Simultaneously Press & hold Mode & Setting buttons then push the Blinker cancel. Some codes will reset/disappear when you shut the bike down again, so may have to try few times Could also just be bad gas, fuel filter issues any combination of all. Spyders can handle wet, fair caution with power washer around dash & some open areas, and don’t put the wand UP INTO the gaps by A-arms
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2023 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

The 998 had deeply recessed spark plug holes. It may be that you got one or both full of water. If you have the OEM spark plug wires, they are problematic and can easily give you the issue you are experiencing. Not the only possibility. But I would start there. Also, check the coil connections. Pull the connections and look for any corrosion, etc.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

this is the same post for facebook spyderlovers that I saw. you'll get better and more complete answers from the experts here
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 998 had deeply recessed spark plug holes. It may be that you got one or both full of water. If you have the OEM spark plug wires, they are problematic and can easily give you the issue you are experiencing. Not the only possibility. But I would start there. Also, check the coil connections. Pull the connections and look for any corrosion, etc.
    .... I think your issue may have been caused by how aggressive your washing was ..... if you used a " Pressure washer " .... it may take a week or two for it to dry out ..... JMHO ....good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

And also did you take the key out of the bike bike before you started spraying water at the dash? It would not hurt a thing to shoot a little wd40 in there if you forgot!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I could be mistaken but I thought I read a follow up this post on FB. He said he shot some sea form in the tank and it began to run fairly normal. He was going to pump out his tank and replace the gas with good stuff.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I could be mistaken but I thought I read a follow up this post on FB. He said he shot some sea form in the tank and it began to run fairly normal. He was going to pump out his tank and replace the gas with good stuff.
    Strange. Unless his 'Wash' job put water in the gas tank. That, friends, is what I call a 'Thorough' wash job!!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Holly smokes say away from mine!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl