Spyder Garage

Default Short Term Mixing Tire Types: Dangerous?

I keep up with reading all the tire threads here but do not recall having come across any discussion of this subject:

2021 RTL

In need of a rear tire VERY soon...within 2000 more miles, per dealer at 9,300 mile oil change.... I am at 10,000 miles now.
    Dealer has a Kumho tire he will put on the rear so I guess I am stuck with that since I have no tools nor expertise as to tire changing. He wants close to $300 for the tire and labor.
    I thought that pretty high considering the cost of the tire at Tire Rack... anyway, I digress...

Question: If I put the Kumho car tire on the rear while still running the original stock Kenda front tires....will it make the handling "wonky" or dangerous to have a mix of rubber like this?

I intend to change the front Kendas out later this spring as they still have fairly decent mileage left in them, per the dealer, but this month is a heavy hitter for me for general necessity expenses (house insurance, car insurance, dental expense, etc) so I need to wait a bit to purchase the fronts... but still will be riding and riding.. it just makes me nervous to think about pushing that original rear tire with its current mileage, and it makes me nervous if mixing the tires will make the handling dangerous or totally uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Last edited by Pooch; 03-05-2023 at 09:14 AM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Answer: No it will not
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Answer: No it will not
    and when this exact question was asked 10 years ago ( and at least on 20 more occasions ) I said the same thing ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Because the stock back tires are so bad, I would think every spyder out there has done this.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    ...... Question: If I put the Kumho car tire on the rear while still running the original stock Kenda front tires....will it make the handling "wonky" or dangerous to have a mix of rubber like this?
    I had a Kumho installed at Coyote Powersports, which I assume you are referencing, last May. Total cost was $355.00, and it appears that if you were quoted "close to $300.00", you would be getting a better deal than I got. In answer to your question regarding not changing the front Kendas, I didn't do that at the time I got the rear put on, as they would not install front tires that I would have purchased and brought to them. I didn't notice any big change in handling by not changing the fronts at that time. The dealer that I use here in Austin, Ride now Austin, installed the front tires I bought at Tire Rack, Vredestein Quatrac 175/55R15 that cost me $246.12 tax included. They charged me $165.00 to R&R the front tires. There now is a marked difference in handling for the better. I, like you, don't have the tools or expertise to change tires, so I was stuck with shelling out north of $750.00 all in, so I just sucked it up and did it. I'm sure others here have done or had it done for less, but there it is. Good luck.u
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2023 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have been doing some tire mixing since day one. The fronts always outlast the rears. For me usually by 5K or more miles. I currently have one with three Kenda K9's on it and the second with the original OEM Kenda's on it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    I had a Kumho installed at Coyote Powersports, which I assume you are referencing, last May. Total cost was $355.00, and it appears that if you were quoted "close to $300.00", you would be getting a better deal than I got. In answer to your question regarding not changing the front Kendas, I didn't do that at the time I got the rear put on, as they would not install front tires that I would have purchased and brought to them. I didn't notice any big change in handling by not changing the fronts at that time. The dealer that I use here in Austin, Ride now Austin, installed the front tires I bought at Tire Rack, Vredestein Quatrac 175/55R15 that cost me $246.12 tax included. They charged me $165.00 to R&R the front tires. There now is a marked difference in handling for the better. I, like you, don't have the tools or expertise to change tires, so I was stuck with shelling out north of $750.00 all in, so I just sucked it up and did it. I'm sure others here have done or had it done for less, but there it is. Good luck.u
    Yes it was Coyote. Since the rear tire is so involved as to change I thought I would let Rocky do that one as he is very good and knows the intricacies of the Spyder … but am thinking of letting Destination Power Sports here in Kerrville change the fronts in a month or so since they are basically pop on/off and they said they would put on any tire I wanted.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Yes it was Coyote. Since the rear tire is so involved as to change I thought I would let Rocky do that one as he is very good and knows the intricacies of the Spyder … but am thinking of letting Destination Power Sports here in Kerrville change the fronts in a month or so since they are basically pop on/off and they said they would put on any tire I wanted.
    You could always buy the fronts you want and take them, along with the wheels, to Discount Tires and have them put on the fronts. You can pull the front tires in 10 minutes or less.

Spyder Garage

You will be fine. This is what most do. If you're lucky enough to have a decent set of OEM tires on front. You might as well wear them out before you go to car tires.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You will be fine. This is what most do. If you're lucky enough to have a decent set of OEM tires on front. You might as well wear them out before you go to car tires.
    ( mostly ) ..... If you have a pair of Kenda's that aren't defective (ie. round, balanced, and not cupping yet ) I have always said keep them until they wear out, then get some auto tires put on ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-06-2023 at 12:22 AM. Reason: arn't - aren't ;-)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default No problem

...As others have said, 'NO PROBLEM'.
    Just don't make it a problem by not installing better
    Tires in the future.

Enjoy your Day.
    Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

It's fine as stated.
    I just installed a Kumho on the rear of mine. 99 for the rubber, 32 for mount, 9 for balance beads and screened tire valve.
    Local tire place was able to mount with no problem.
    I run Kenda car tires, Komet Plus KR23A, up front.

Spyder Garage

I had a Kumho rear on my F3T and found it to be a more comfortable ride than the Vred that I replaced it with. I think the Kumho has softer sidewalls. Bear in mine that I'm an easy rider and rarely get caught in the rain. I've got a new '22 coming when the brake spring gets replaced and when I wear out the OEM, it will be replaced with a Kumho.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I had a Kumho rear on my F3T and found it to be a more comfortable ride than the Vred that I replaced it with. I think the Kumho has softer sidewalls. Bear in mine that I'm an easy rider and rarely get caught in the rain. I've got a new '22 coming when the brake spring gets replaced and when I wear out the OEM, it will be replaced with a Kumho.
    Seat of the pants isn't the best way to tell anything ..... What was sidewall rating for that Vredestein & what is the sidewall rating for the Kumho ..... The higher the weight rating the stiffer the sidewall ..... JMHO .... Mike