Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2023 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Exposed hidden URL's iaw Forum policy to avoid trolls/spam/scams... ;-)
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

T6 was recommended to me by a good friend who has been a high end auto machinist for some 60 years. Builds and runs racing engines, breaks them down on a regular basis. Also has tore down lots of high mileage engines. I've used it for some 25 years in all my vehicles, 50's and 60's hot rods, new and old cycles. Have had several apart with no lubrication issues. Like the idea of getting a gallon for $25. or so. Cheaper if you buy in the 5 gal. containers. Mine are delivered by Amazon. Always have 10 gallons on hand. I own 18 vehicles, something always needs to be serviced. I only add a zinc additive in a few vehicles that have solid lifters.
    2021 RT LT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Right on BlueKnight, nothing wrong with Rotella T6, but to each his own I say.

Spyder Garage

I use the following: Valvoline 4-Stroke Full synthetic motorcycle Oil 10w-40.

The oil is formulated for specific needs of high performance 4 stroke motorcycles, including high temp, high RPMS and Wet Clutch systems.

Full synthetic formula for the ultimate protection against wear, deposits,s and corrosion that can decrease engine performance.

Developed with advanced additives to resit oil thickening and maximize horsepower.
    Outstanding Wet Clutch protection for maximum power transfer and smooth shifting.

Meets or exceeds JASO MA2.

The above oil is in a grey bottle. I got mine on-line.

I have been using the above oil since 2015. My current spyder is a 2014 RTS-SE6 with the "Ace 1330 Engine".
    Deanna

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 03-07-2023 at 10:50 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mobil 1

...I for one have been using Mobil 1 in my Spyder it's entire life. I use the Mobil 1 10w40 Motorcycle oil. Yes it's rated for the Spyder. Just what I use and it costs a little bit more. Quality is my thing.

Your Spyder, so hopefully you use a Quality Oil.
    If not, shame on you. That's all I am going to say.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I just did an oil change using Castrol Power 1 5W-40. $52.95 for a case of 6 quarts on Amazon.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Yes you are correct, I looked at the API but didn't check the JASO. Thanks for the heads up.
    [img]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Bought our 2014 Spyder RTL some 2 years ago. Looked into the oil requirement. No mention of JASO in the owner's manual or the service manuals. JASO is a good indicator of oil that has no additives and is good for wet clutches and catalytic converters - depending on rating, came out in 1999. Having mentioned this, I look for a good oil, preferably synthetic that is in my price range and has an API donut that has the lower half of the circle blank. Most oils I find, with the exception of Rotella, are a European formula. Have used Rotella as well in my Gold Wings. Any oil that meets the API SN rating and is not energy conserving will do fine.

When I first used Rotella T-6 there was no mention of a JASO standard on the bottle, used the API donut, no energy conserving additives. Thinking that Shell picked up on this, had its oil JASO certified, and the rest is history. Good marketing scheme.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you read your operator's guide and use oil that meet the API Service Code(s) for your engine you aren't going to go wrong. The only way you can know how the oil is performing is to have it analyzed.
    As for API service, BRP states in their manual (for my 2010 RS) to NOT use an API classification of SM. They claim it will cause the clutch to slip. How are their clutches different from any other bike clutch? I don’t know. In all my 62 years, I’ve always known that every new API certification supercedes all those before it. The important thing (to my knowledge), is that wet clutches will be just fine if you use a JASO MA/MA2 oil.
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaniBoy View Post
    As for API service, BRP states in their manual (for my 2010 RS) to NOT use an API classification of SM. They claim it will cause the clutch to slip. How are their clutches different from any other bike clutch? I don’t know. In all my 62 years, I’ve always known that every new API certification supercedes all those before it. The important thing (to my knowledge), is that wet clutches will be just fine if you use a JASO MA/MA2 oil.
    JASO is the Gold standard - period ....... as to SM or SN one is OK for wet clutch assemblies, not all Motorcycles use them ..... hope this info helps ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I missed them but I don't see any posters with oil pressure gauges allowing them to monitor oil viscosity changes over time (ie mileage). BRP and LaMonster have 5psi notch around 3K miles. Motul 7100 15W50 eases down 2psi after 5K miles which was my intended oil change interval anyway. I also note the emphasis on wet clutches, JASO, API as if they make a difference in viscosity loss. I think the viscosity killer is not the engine or the hydraulic clutch but rather the gearbox. And the solution is 5K oil changes.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Maybe I missed them but I don't see any posters with oil pressure gauges allowing them to monitor oil viscosity changes over time (ie mileage). BRP and LaMonster have 5psi notch around 3K miles. Motul 7100 15W50 eases down 2psi after 5K miles which was my intended oil change interval anyway. I also note the emphasis on wet clutches, JASO, API as if they make a difference in viscosity loss. I think the viscosity killer is not the engine or the hydraulic clutch but rather the gearbox. And the solution is 5K oil changes.
    Emphasis on the oil being approved for wet clutches, not really about the viscosity. It is more about being certain that nothing has been added into the oil formula that would have a negative affect on clutch slippage. It is the same concern as the primary oil on most of the Harleys. The clutch is inside the primary case and runs wet. On the Harleys, the primary oil is not open to the engine oil. There has always been some concern about using an oil approved for wet clutches in the primary case. In the Can Am and many of the metric bikes, the engine and gearbox use the same oil. If the oil is not approved for wet clutch application it should not be used on bikes that run a wet clutch, and no additives that claim to decrease friction or do other mechanical magic should ever be added to the oil.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I'm not going to go into which oil to use, there are too many opinions. "I'm using the one I've used in motorcycles for hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems and I'm not going to change!" BUT if you are going to do the first oil change on your NEW Spyder, be warned that the drain plugs are probably overly treated with lock-tight. I had to use a cold chisel and hammer to get the main plug out. The secondary was easier, but both were replaced with Gold Plugs. YMMV.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2023 at 05:56 PM. Reason: treated ;-)
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    I'm not going to go into which oil to use, there are too many opinions. "I'm using the one I've used in motorcycles for hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems and I'm not going to change!" BUT if you are going to do the first oil change on your NEW Spyder, be warned that the drain plugs are probably overly treated with lock-tight. I had to use a cold chisel and hammer to get the main plug out. The secondary was easier, but both were replaced with Gold Plugs. YMMV.
    I don't think they are "overly treated with Lock-tight" or have "thread locker" on them ..... after hundreds or thousands of Heat/Cool cycles the engine oil on the threads forms a Varnish ..... After putting a socket, hex, or torx tool on/into the oil plug I give it a healthy Tap with a hammer to break the varnish .... this has worked for me for decades ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2023 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display & ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yes, what McRuss said, but anyone that has changed the oil knows the problems of the OEM drain plugs. On my first oil change, I replaced them with LaMonster's gold plugs, makes oil changes a breeze.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2023 at 05:54 PM. Reason: probmbles - problems ;-)

Spyder Garage

Just curious when was the last time anyone on the forum heard of an engine issue due to the oil they used?
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic Dark

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ferrasr View Post
    Just curious when was the last time anyone on the forum heard of an engine issue due to the oil they used?
    With the Spyder it will be the clutch/transmission that gos out first because of the wrong oil; and yes it happens.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Sorry, my point was to clarify using any oil that meets the specs required, from the lowest priced to the highest priced, from manufacturer's recommended to supposed far better oils from a spec sheet point, from a lab tested sample to what ever, use what you feel comfortable with is what I meant, oil threads are always interesting and the opinions are endless.
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ferrasr View Post
    I like that question, lets rip it apart.
    And if you did how would you prove it was the oil?
    Could they be selling differently labeled containers with the same contents?
    What if all engine damage was from manufacturing variations.
    Could it be speed limits determine engine longevity not oil quality?
    Do oil filters release black dye to brainwash you?
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    I like that question, lets rip it apart.
    And if you did how would you prove it was the oil?
    Could they be selling differently labeled containers with the same contents?
    What if all engine damage was from manufacturing variations.
    Could it be speed limits determine engine longevity not oil quality?
    Do oil filters release black dye to brainwash you?
    Fake News, its a Witch Hunt!....Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

From the O.P.

This is the reason that the user gave:
    Peter can this complete thread be removed(that I started). It has turned into something that has insulting replies and is completely going off topic.

Thank you
    John

Closed at the request of the O. P.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red