Spyder Garage

Default Skinning my homebuilt trailer - ideas? How did you attach the metal?

Good morning,

Looking for ideas and opinions on this please. I am thinking of using 26ga sheet metal for the skin on my pull-behind homebuilt. I guess that's this first thing I'll be looking for opinions on. Has anyone else done that, and how did it work out?
    Most importantly, how did you attach it? Looking for ideas and opinions there. I am looking at using the Loctite Weld Bonding Compound, any experience with that? The frame is steel tubing.
    I suppose I could rivet the skin on ... or am I missing a better way?
    I was hoping to avoid the riveted look.

What has been used and done on other home-builts?

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2023 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    Good morning,

Looking for ideas and opinions on this please. I am thinking of using 26ga sheet metal for the skin on my pull-behind homebuilt. I guess that's this first thing I'll be looking for opinions on. Has anyone else done that, and how did it work out?
    Most importantly, how did you attach it? Looking for ideas and opinions there. I am looking at using the Loctite Weld Bonding Compound, any experience with that? The frame is steel tubing.
    I suppose I could rivet the skin on ... or am I missing a better way?
    I was hoping to avoid the riveted look.

What has been used and done on other home-builts?

Thanks
    Mike
    If you go to my albums you can see my 03 Toyota Tacoma Pick-up that I removed the oem BED, built a flat-bed for it and then a box which I used for transporting my RT and camping ..... I built a frame from 3/4 " X 1/8th thick angle iron and covered it with 26Ga. galvanized sheet metal .... went to Spyderquest in Springfield Mo. from Vermont 8 X's ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you go to my albums <snip>
    Thanks
    Looks like you used rivets. Any issues at all? Never any loosening or something like that?
    Last edited by Mike0123; 03-04-2023 at 09:36 AM.
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    Thanks
    Looks like you used rivets. Any issues at all? Never any loosening or something like that?
    I was careful about using the proper length, so they stayed in.... I was able to use STEEL rivets because I had a Rivet gun ( & compressor to use ) ..... otherwise, it would been too difficult .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-04-2023 at 01:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

They make rivets that will not leak water when it rains, use those if you can find them.

Here's some on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Waterpr.../dp/B00HB3GXDM
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 03-04-2023 at 01:55 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would use rivets. Far less likely to work loose than screws. There must be something right about them. After all, many airplanes through the years have been held together with rivets!

If you take time planning how many to use and where the put them you can make the riveted look quite pleasing, I think.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    They make rivets that will not leak water when it rains, use those if you can find them.

Here's some on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Waterpr.../dp/B00HB3GXDM
    Mine were regular POP rivets & they can leak .... I just put a dab of silicone caulk on/in them. .... Dab with finger - wipe - done..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike...

Gluing is definitely the way to go over riveting. Airplane manufacturers like Boeing now glue skins instead of rivet. The bonding technology is there and you won't have leaks. I also suggest bonding rigid insulation like blue board to the inside (spray glue). It will obviously have good insulation value. However, it will allow you to use a lighter gauge of sheet metal and still maintain rigidity and durability (against denting, etc...) in the skin. Also, if you glue the inside skin material (can be thinner for same reasons as exterior) to the insulation and frame, you will have an extremely strong sandwich system that is very light weight for its strength.

Regards,

Don
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2023 at 10:13 PM. Reason: it - is ;-)
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Mike...

Gluing is definitely the way to go over riveting. Airplane manufacturers like Boeing now glue skins instead of rivet. The bonding technology is there and you won't have leaks. I also suggest bonding rigid insulation like blue board to the inside (spray glue). It will obviously have good insulation value. However, it will allow you to use a lighter gauge of sheet metal and still maintain rigidity and durability (against denting, etc...) in the skin. Also, if you glue the inside skin material (can be thinner for same reasons as exterior) to the insulation and frame, you will have an extremely strong sandwich system that is very light weight for its strength.

Regards,

Don
    with all you said, however " glueing " large sheets of sheet metal can be very problematic ( especially doing it alone )_..compared to riveting which is almost idiot-proof, ... I did use my toy hauler to sleep in on trips, and I thought about the blue/pink insulation-board. However I did these trips in mild weather with an electric heater and sleeping bag and blankets ( temp considered ) .... also that tiny dab of silicone prevented all leaks. ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with all you said, however " glueing " large sheets of sheet metal can be very problematic ( especially doing it alone )_..compared to riveting which is almost idiot-proof, ... I did use my toy hauler to sleep in on trips, and I thought about the blue/pink insulation-board. However I did these trips in mild weather with an electric heater and sleeping bag and blankets ( temp considered ) .... also that tiny dab of silicone prevented all leaks. ..... good luck ... Mike
    Mike...

The old contact cement gluing definitely took a lot of skill and patience to get it right. However, in addition to being stronger, many modern glues are much easier to work with. Still patience and planning are needed. Sandwich panels are the lightest, strongest, most weather resistant, and most durable way to go. Also, the most comfortable - temperature and noise.

Regards,

Don
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2023 at 05:44 PM. Reason: patients (sick people) - patience (tolerance) ;-)
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Mike...

The old contact cement gluing definitely took a lot of skill and patience to get it right. However, in addition to being stronger, many modern glues are much easier to work with. Still patience and planning are needed. Sandwich panels are the lightest, strongest, most weather resistant, and most durable way to go. Also, the most comfortable - temperature and noise.

Regards,

Don
    As with any thing the longer the list of Criteria, the more complicated the solution ..... I did what I needed to accomplish my goals; I ended up happy with the results .... I hope you do also. ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2023 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

"Skinning my homebuilt trailer"

You're going to need a very sharp knife! Critters are bad enough! But a Trailer!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...