Spyder Garage

Default Anyone fab'ing a Rear Trunk removal kit for 2017 Gen RTL's?

I absolutely love the looks of the newer Spyder RT and was wondering if it was possible to fabricate a rear trunk removal solution kind of like what you can do with the newer ones and place a cover over the rear part.

I would gladly be a customer for this.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-03-2023 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

2017 Spyder RTL

Mods
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    Mesh Intake covers
    LED Skidplate
    LED Headlights and Foglights
    TricLED Dual Color LED A-Arm Running Light Strips with Blinker
    12V Cell Phone / GPS Docking Station with Dual USB Charge Ports
    Quick detatch backrest
    Show Chrome RT Trunk Rack
    Show Chrome Short Spiral Radio Antenna
    Custom Airbrushed paint with ghost flames

Spyder Garage

I don't believe anyone has done that (yet?? ) but expect when you get whatever system/kit you develop ( ) up & running there'll be a few interested.... Probably not enough to make it truly viable tho??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have had the rear plastics off and have seen the framework underneath. I think that such a kit would have to do some extensive body work to cover up what would be left when the trunk is removed.

Besides the 'simple' matter of aesthetics, you will also have to be concerned with all the mechanisms involved, like the releases for the trunk lid and saddlebag lids.

If you come up with something, I would be interested in seeing it, but I don't think you could count on me as a customer. I just like the current look and practicality of the whole package.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

It would be less costly to sell yours and buy a 2020+ RT to get what you're looking for.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    It would be less costly to sell yours and buy a 2020+ RT to get what you're looking for.
    I probably agree with you here.

2017 Spyder RTL

Mods
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    Mesh Intake covers
    LED Skidplate
    LED Headlights and Foglights
    TricLED Dual Color LED A-Arm Running Light Strips with Blinker
    12V Cell Phone / GPS Docking Station with Dual USB Charge Ports
    Quick detatch backrest
    Show Chrome RT Trunk Rack
    Show Chrome Short Spiral Radio Antenna
    Custom Airbrushed paint with ghost flames

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RULINGCHAOS View Post
    I absolutely love the looks of the newer Spyder RT and was wondering if it was possible to fabricate a rear trunk removal solution kind of like what you can do with the newer ones and place a cover over the rear part.

I would gladly be a customer for this.
    As has been said, anything is possible if you spend enough money! The rear trunk and saddlebags are integrated into a single module so the big challenge would be to segregate them. If you need to remove either the trunk or a saddlebag, you remove the entire rear luggage module.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Having disassembled the rear of my tryke to install a new "inside" saddle bag to fix a broken hinge, I can say it would be very difficult to separate the trunk from the side bags, and I wonder how much structural strength you'd lose in the process. Anything can be done if you throw enough money at it.

I admit, I "kinda" like the look of the RT without the rear on, but it would need some sheet metal or something to cover some of the mechanicals up.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange