Spyder Garage

Default How should I connect Sena to BRP Go?

Hello all,

I recently purchased the Sena Impulse helmet and am loving it, but not sure how I should connect all the bluetooth devices together with the bike's built in system. At the moment, I am bypassing the bike entirely and going directly from phone to helmet, but I'd like to use's the bike's controls if possible. However, with my previous bluetooth helmet system, calls wouldn't come through correctly, but that could have just been the headset being dumb. It was cheap after all. I did try using the selecting media pairing on the helmet with the bike, but it seems the bike will always say it failed if it can't connect the phone part. All that being said, I was wondering if anyone has played around with connecting everything in different ways to give pros and cons of going through the bike vs not doing so. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-02-2023 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Proferomalum View Post
    Hello all,

I recently purchased the Sena Impulse helmet and am loving it, but not sure how I should connect all the bluetooth devices together with the bike's built in system. At the moment, I am bypassing the bike entirely and going directly from phone to helmet, but I'd like to use's the bike's controls if possible. However, with my previous bluetooth helmet system, calls wouldn't come through correctly, but that could have just been the headset being dumb. It was cheap after all. I did try using the selecting media pairing on the helmet with the bike, but it seems the bike will always say it failed if it can't connect the phone part. All that being said, I was wondering if anyone has played around with connecting everything in different ways to give pros and cons of going through the bike vs not doing so. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    I have a Sena outrush R and a Garmin Zumo XT. I gave up on the BRP system and just use the helmet and Zumo--but I found that even though both are paired, I have to connect the Zumo first, then turn on the phone blue tooth. They both work together well and the Zumo shows the next song up and answers the phone which is answered through the helmet . Would be nice to use the bike joystick if someone chimes in with the process.
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you pair to both the bike and phone the headset can get confused as to what device to connect to. To make it work you pair the headset to the bike and pair the phone to the bike. Then, when a call comes in you see the screen go blue with call info and use the joystick to answer.

Any music from the phone can be started before connecting to the bike and it will come thru the headset (or speakers if set that way). Either Sygic or Genius Maps or even Rever is used for Navigation. Rever can also be used to control a GoPro.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    If you pair to both the bike and phone the headset can get confused as to what device to connect to. To make it work you pair the headset to the bike and pair the phone to the bike. Then, when a call comes in you see the screen go blue with call info and use the joystick to answer.

Any music from the phone can be started before connecting to the bike and it will come thru the headset (or speakers if set that way). Either Sygic or Genius Maps or even Rever is used for Navigation. Rever can also be used to control a GoPro.
    If you configure it as mentioned can you still use Google Maps thru the phone for navigation and music from Pandora and run thru the bike speakers or headset if preferred?
    Last edited by al0vely; 03-03-2023 at 04:25 AM.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

DON"T bother...... just my two cents. I do as mentioned above with the zumo XT and the headset/phone setup. BRP go always wanted to override the other bluetooth options which meant I would have to disable/disconnect every restart. I just removed the BRP app completely from my phone. All good now
    Last edited by Mazo EMS2; 03-02-2023 at 06:54 PM.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You don't use BRP Go for phone and music. That just connect to the bike via Bluetooth. You only use BRP Go to display the apps on the screen. Make sure you remove the pairing between the helmet and phone. Then pair your phone and helmet to the bike.
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    DON"T bother...... just my two cents. I do as mentioned above with the zumo XT and the headset/phone setup. BRP go always wanted to override the other bluetooth options which meant I would have to disable/disconnect every restart. I just removed the BRP app completely from my phone. All good now
    BRP Go has no control over Bluetooth connections. But your headset paired to both the phone AND the bike causes confusion as the sounds, calls and music come from the phone into the bike and the headset has to figure out what to connect to.

If paired correctly, there is no reason to have to reconnect every time.

This new technology requires learning how it works and many don’t seem to want to.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Does it or can it work without the phone being connected to the usb port ? or does what is being described require the usb connection. I have a wireless charger for my phone and would prefer not to connect to the usb on the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Spending more $$$ on a stand-alone GPS when you have a smartphone doesn’t make sense as the phone is a GPS as well as a phone, plus so much more.

I pair the headset to the bike. Pair the phone to the bike and forget it. Works every time. Follow the instructions in BRP Go and it works.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HastingsRider View Post
    Does it or can it work without the phone being connected to the usb port ? or does what is being described require the usb connection. I have a wireless charger for my phone and would prefer not to connect to the usb on the bike.
    To get the screen in the dash to show the apps and all, you need the USB. For just music and sound, just bluetooth. I’ve seen some WiFi devices that might work instead of USB but haven’t seen the need to try them.

https://www.ottocastcarplay.com/prod...wZYhMKH3qzBLVt
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 03-23-2023 at 09:41 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have the phone and headset connected to the bike.

When I get a call can’t answer with the headset and can only hear thru phone speaker.
    **RESOLVED** the joy stick is used to answer and hang-up. The volume levels don't seem as good as they were pre BRP connect during my test but it has been a few months since I actually used the headset. Hoping some tweaking later will make it better.

I can toggle music to bike or headset OK.
    Last edited by al0vely; 03-24-2023 at 12:10 PM.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue