Spyder Garage

Default Check Eng and Parking Brake warning in dash - check Fuse #1

I had what I thought was a Big Problem about a week ago. I was riding to town, about 20 miles, when I hit a small bump at the end of a small concrete bridge and every light on my Spyder went out. I thought a wire had fallen off maybe, so I just kept going to town, maybe 3 miles farther, and the Check Eng light started flashing and the Parking brake was on, it said so on my dash. Sooooo, I turned around and took the Spyder back home and drove the car to town. A few days later, went out to my Garage and started looking for a Wire hanging loose maybe ... Nothing ... Checked the Oil ... Full ... Checked Antifreeze ... Full ... So, I started with a good Volt/Ohm meter, checking everything 1 at a time. Under the seat ... everything was right; then to the Frunk and the Fuse Box ... It just so Happened that I started on the top row on the left at the # 1 fuse ... 15 Amp - and it was blown! I picked a new 15 Amp fuse out of my box, put it in there ... and in 1 second, EVERYTHING was perfect ... LOL! I made a living most of my life as some kind of Mechanic and I never saw anything on any kind of Car, Truck, motorcycle, boat, nothing like that before! Soo, just in case any of you folks ever have that kind of problem, check that little 15 Amp # 1 fuse first!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-02-2023 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to state reason for thread; Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Got lucky , glad replacement fuse didn’t blow too, worth finding whatever moved around & attempt securing, might be preventing future headaches

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Good job!!! I can not think of anything worse than a electrical gremlins, I hate them!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Got lucky , glad replacement fuse didn’t blow too, worth finding whatever moved around & attempt securing, might be preventing future headaches
    I never saw a 15 amp. fuse , on anything that stopped almost everything from working at the same time.... I mean with just 15 amps ??? I can't think of what would happen if something was to cut the 60 amp. fuse under the seat....LOL.... but I thought I would post this to keep somebody from looking for quite a while maybe for something a lot Bigger . when it might be the smallest and very easy thing to get to and fix all those problems in a very short time and really no work at all. hope it helps someone .
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

A fuse doesn't blow cause you take a bump. Look at the wiring diagram and check what is fed from that fuse. It is gonna fail again if you ignore it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2023 at 04:03 AM. Reason: It ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    A fuse doesn't blow cause you take a bump. Look at the wiring diagram and check what is fed from that fuse. It is gonna fail again if you ignore it.
    Yeah, I am a 71 year old retired Auto/Diesel Mechanic, made a living doing it most of my life, and yes, something caused that fuse to blow. I was thinking a wire somewhere, with a bare place on it, touched the ground (Frame) when I hit the bump at the bridge. But now finding that might take some time and work, and if it happens again... Now I know right where the fuse is, and so does everyone who read this post too! There is no way to know if it ever will happen again ... BUT ... if it ever happens to MY Spyder again, I will let you all know and what I know about it. I'm just trying to help because my Spyder still Runs as good as ever, except No Lights except for Headlights and Brake Lights. But anyway, good luck to you all.... Hope you never need to know about it anyway!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2023 at 04:07 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    Yeah, I am a 71 year old retired Auto/Diesel Mechanic, made a living doing it most of my life, and yes, something caused that fuse to blow. I was thinking a wire somewhere, with a bare place on it, touched the ground (Frame) when I hit the bump at the bridge. But now finding that might take some time and work, and if it happens again... Now I know right where the fuse is, and so does everyone who read this post too! There is no way to know if it ever will happen again ... BUT ... if it ever happens to MY Spyder again, I will let you all know and what I know about it. I'm just trying to help because my Spyder still Runs as good as ever, except No Lights except for Headlights and Brake Lights. But anyway, good luck to you all.... Hope you never need to know about it anyway!

Maybe you were lucky ..... this time ..... If it was a bare spot on a wire, and the BUMP caused contact, that 15 amp fuse blew..... However, the next time the bare spot might stay connected to a Ground .... and replacing the fuse will just cause that next fuse to blow and so on etc. etc. etc. ..... Unlike a car, the wiring harnesses on a Spyder is fairly accessible, time consuming to find but very doable .... Good Luck ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2023 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I have found two wiring issues that fortunately were averted before problems happened. One of them would have been bad with a wire getting cut near a harness connector. Both were found by pure luck. I have a 2020 RTL. First one was on the right side of the machine basically just under your thigh. One wire bundle routed over a connector that was pulling it apart. The other was a harness connector just under the Left Headlight behind the panel you remove over the Frunk. The connection was set up against a piece of metal that has a sharp edge. It was starting to cut through the insulation.
    I made two YouTube videos showing these issues but not sure if I can post them here. I do the videos purely for informational purposes.
    Tried to load pictures but couldn't for some reason.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2023 at 10:10 AM. Reason: 20202 - 2020 ;-)
    2020 Spyder RTL Chalk/Black
    2020 RTL , Chalk / Black

Spyder Garage

You can post a link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DT5534 View Post
    I made two YouTube videos showing these issues but not sure if I can post them here. I do the videos purely for informational purposes.
    Tried to load pictures but couldn't for some reason.
    If your pics were too large, that may have stopped you; you can see the max size limits & file types that you can use on the Manage Attachment page. Here's an outline of how to add pics to your posts from one of the (many?) threads telling you how to do this:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Are you trying to insert an image or add an attachment thru the 'Manage Attachment' facility??

I find that if you really want everyone to be able to see your images etc regardless of the images size or the viewers screen size &/or have less sizing issues etc during loading (cos by doing it this way the system here will look after most of that sort of stuff for you instead of you needing to do all that before trying to 'Insert' the image or host it elsewhere etc! ) then you should try to use 'Manage Attachments' as follows:
    1. Open a Post Reply or Advanced Post screen so you can see the text insert field;
    2. scroll down past the 'text' field of a 'reply to post' or 'advanced post' screen) then select 'manage attchments';
    3. hit 'Choose File', selecting where from in either the '... from a computer' or '... from a website' boxes, then chosing your image file & hit 'done' (if that's the word/label your device calls the 'submit' button ) - do that one at a time for each image/vid as often as you need to in order to select your chosen images/vids - altho I find that if you limit yourself to attaching no more than 5 (five) attachments per post, it's far more likely to work for you and more likely that all your potential viewers will be able to open your post in order to see/read it ;
    4. then hit the 'Upload' button in the bottom right corner of that box & wait for the system to upload the pics/vids (yes, it might take a while - usually it'll take somewhat longer than you might think it should! );
    5. Once the pics/vids are uploaded, each of their address lines will appear in a little window below the 'upload files from website' box, at which time you can select 'close this window' from the bottom middle of that 'manage attachments' page, & then preview or submit your post with all its attachments appearing as thumbnails so that when they are selected by any viewer, they should be scaled accordingly to fit their screen, no matter how small/large each image might be!

Help any?!?
    And yes, you can post links to vids too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2023 at 08:45 PM. Reason: ' ' ;-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Maybe you were lucky ..... this time ..... If it was a bare spot on a wire, and the BUMP caused contact, that 15 amp fuse blew..... However, the next time the bare spot might stay connected to a Ground .... and replacing the fuse will just cause that next fuse to blow and so on etc. etc. etc. ..... Unlike a car, the wiring harnesses on a Spyder is fairly accessible, time consuming to find but very doable .... Good Luck ... Mike
    I have been told..... and looked through the Manual.... and I think quite a bit of the wiring is inside a kinda small square metal frome.....Right ???
    2011 RTS Spyder