Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL - thoughts from the first 200 miles

First, I have loved my 2013 RTL and decided to upgrade because I found a deal locally. Here are some things I’ve discovered:

- The floorboards seem much bigger and longer. This means the brake pedal is much further forward than on my 2013. Not a biggie at all - I just need to adjust.

- Much smoother shifting gears without a hard clunk. Moves up through the gears with ease!

- Seems to corner a little better - probably due to newer suspension.

- Engine sound at idle reminds me of a small diesel motor…

- The ride seems much smoother. I’m guessing the suspension is much better than on the 2013.

- Wife seems to have more room on the back. Previous owner installed the BRP armrests and they seem far superior to any aftermarket armrests.

- Ride is quieter with the rpm’s around 3500 vice over 5000. Love that it has a bigger gas tank as well.

- Many buttons are in different spots…again, no biggie - just need to learn the new spots.

- Sound system seems so much better than the 2013! It may have to do with how the speakers are pointed at the driver.

- Seems much more stable at 70mph. It may sound strange, but the ugly air of the 18 wheelers DID NOT seem to push me around near as much. Am I hallucinating?

- Wife says the ride is smoother for her and she loves the armrests.

I think I am happier, although I was pretty happy on my 2013. Great ride! I do not regret upgrading!

Spyder Garage

Lucky you for being able to take a long ride. I purchased mine at the end of January and only had a short ride of around 5 miles to top off fuel and add stabilizer. My 2020 was stock so I have been adding stuff … lights, usb charging port, hitch, etc. I am hoping for some warmer days soon so I can get some miles in … I am coming from a 2016 F3L.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Told you you would like it!!
    Our neat ride to Willow City Loop did indeed yield Blue Bonnet sightings.. we were surprised and pleased. They should be bountiful in a couple of weeks. Come on over and enjoy the ride and the flowers!
    By the way… what color scheme is the new ride?
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention that I have one mirror that shakes...I am sure there is a fix for that but have not looked yet. Loving the bike!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    I forgot to mention that I have one mirror that shakes...I am sure there is a fix for that but have not looked yet. Loving the bike!
    Lamonster has the best fix for the 2020RTL mirrors, approximately $25 for both mirrors!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are liking it so far. My 2021 RTL makes the 6th spyder that I have owned (if you count the one I picked up for the wife). This one is more comfortable to ride than any of the others. I have nomally had to stop at 80-100 miles. But this one allows me to go for a full tank of gas. In fact, I am so impressed that I will be doing my first Iron Butt on it this coming Monday and Tuesday. A buddy and i are leaving around midnight on Monday and should get back around sunset the next day.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The mirror fix from lamonster is definitely worth the effort. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Chiefburg you will find you can ride longer and farther on you new RTL. Have fun with it.

Blacklighting I am jealous. The weather up here too cold for me to do an Iron Butt. I hope to do one this May. I could only do about 700 miles when I had my 2017 F3 LTD but, with my 2021 RT I am sure I could do 1000 Miles in 24 hrs.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    Chiefburg you will find you can ride longer and farther on you new RTL. Have fun with it.

Blacklighting I am jealous. The weather up here too cold for me to do an Iron Butt. I hope to do one this May. I could only do about 700 miles when I had my 2017 F3 LTD but, with my 2021 RT I am sure I could do 1000 Miles in 24 hrs.
    Not if you had my navigator with you!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    The mirror fix from lamonster is definitely worth the effort. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
    Thanks...ordered it and it is on the way.

Spyder Garage

Someone asked about color - Chalk Metallic! It is a metal flake white and looks really nice with the dark wheels.
    2020 RTL.jpg

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    I have owned a lot of spyders, and the longest ride that I had done was 600 on my 2014 RT. It nearly broke me. Done a few 500 mile days on the F3T and even 530 on my BMW K1600B. But nothing comes close to the comfort of this 2021 RTL. The stock seats are on a different level when compared to any other spyder or 2 wheeler that I have owned. I am not normally much into riding just for miles, without a destination and purpose. But due to the mistake that was made on the milage area of my title, I decided the sooner that I get to the 4,000+ miles that was printed on my title, the better off i will be.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white