Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default A word about brake pads...

Many are purchasing their own brake pad sets and doing the work themselves. I highly commend you if you are able to do this. But I get customers calling saying they can get 'Carbon Fiber' brake pads for less than our Sintered pad sets. I know this is true and fine if you want to go this way. But 'Carbon Fiber' just means they are Organic pads. Carbon Fiber is the organic friction material used by most brake manufacturers. Sellers know that if they call their product 'Organic', they don't sound nearly as exotic. They have found they can charge more for the same thing by renaming it. Not that they are misrepresenting what they sell. But they count on the customer not knowing that Organic and Carbon Fiber are pretty much one and the same.

Organic is what the original Spyders come with stock. (EDIT) *BRP switched to either a semi or fully sintered when they started putting Brembo pads on*. Organic doesn't last as long, nor does it stop as well or resist fading as well as Sintered brake pads. But they are less expensive. If you are paying labor to install brake pads. Organic will probably end up costing you more in the long run, as you'll have to get them done more often than with Sintered pads.

If you are happy with organic, not a problem. I would never presume to tell a customer what to buy. But don't pay inflated prices for 'Carbon Fiber'. You're not getting anything special. Some may look fancy. But the last time you'll see them is in the package. What most want is something that impresses when you push down on the brake pedal.

Have a Great Riding Season!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-28-2023 at 05:47 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...