Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder radio is worthless - any solution to this problem?

I know this radio subject has been beat to death over the last few years. I have a 2020 RTL and I知 sure anyone that has one has found the the radio is worthless. I知 curious now that the pandemic is hopefully over and things are getting back to normal has anyone heard of a solution to this problem?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I know this radio subject has been beat to death over the last few years. I have a 2020 RTL and I知 sure anyone that has one has found the the radio is worthless. I知 curious now that the pandemic is hopefully over and things are getting back to normal has anyone heard of a solution to this problem?
    My experience has been that all radios on motorcycles are suboptimal. Even if you get a decent station, you're generally travelling a good distance, so you get out of range.
    I've been using an MP3 player for the tunes. I load up the ones I want and I don't have to worry about them fading out of range like the radio stations.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I don’t bother with the radio because commercial radio sucks. I use Spotify or music stored on my phone.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have no idea how well or not my radio works on my 2014 RTS. I have never used it since I bought the unit in 2015. I use my iPod for all of my listening needs, and am happy to do so. All of my handlebar controls work flawlessly. jmho!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I have no idea how well or not my radio works on my 2014 RTS. I have never used it since I bought the unit in 2015. I use my iPod for all of my listening needs, and am happy to do so. All of my handlebar controls work flawlessly. jmho!
    Same Here on my 2011 RT .
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Even after trying my phone with amazon music, Sirius XM music and others on my (new to me) '18 RTL this past weekend's 600+ miles, I'm now upgrading my old IPOD with a new battery (old was puffed) and switched the old spinning disk HD with an IFlash.xyz SD Card conversion, So I'll be able to put my entire120GB music library in the bike permanently...����
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

You guys are still using iPods. I didn't know anyone still did that. I find my radio works just fine around town which is 95% of my riding.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

XM app or an iPod. Never turn the radio on.
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know this radio subject has been beat to death over the last few years. I have a 2020 RTL and I’m sure anyone that has one has found the the radio is worthless. I’m curious now that the pandemic is hopefully over and things are getting back to normal has anyone heard of a solution to this problem?
    That depends on a few factors ..... I have a 14 RT and changed to 2 ohm JBL speakers, 5.25 for all Four. I also changed to a Bosche manually retractable Auto antennae, and now get very good reception. ..... This fix does not seem to help Radio's on 2018 and up ...... good luck ..... PS - "Joel the Biker" found out how to mod the newer year models. ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-31-2022 at 12:49 AM. Reason: help[Radio... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    That depends on a few factors ..... I have a 14 RT and changed to 2 ohm JBL speakers, 5.25 for all Four. I also changed to a Bosche manually retractable Auto antennae, and now get very good reception. ..... This fix does not seem to help Radio's on 2018 and up ...... good luck ..... PS - "Joel the Biker" found out how to mod the newer year models. ..... Mike
    my phone via bluetooth works great, plenty loud enough, and can toggle songs and loudness via joystick or tank controls,, forget the radio, i have a nice playlist i listen too.
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

I don't care for using the stereo on the bike/tryke - I don't feel the need to make everyone in the area listen to my music.

Cardo Freecom 2 helmet unit and my phone with MP3s or Pandora works for me.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I find the 'noise' of a radio distracting while riding. I already have 47 things to keep track of and the noise coming at me from the dash is just too much. I had a great Alpine system on my last HD and the only time I ever turned it on was when I was parked somewhere. I'd rather have a builtin dashboard setup with GPS, Drivetrain status, Trip information - all of that functional stuff - skip the noiz. I have a phone, bluetooth helmet, bluetooth hearing aids,etc, if I get a phone call or text (which I will find a spot to pull off and respond to). I'd consider XM since I do listen to patriot news and a few other select news/talk stations, but don't know how to add satellite radio to the bike. I just got it in my truck and love it. I'm going to call them today and ask about having it set on my phone as well - problem solved.
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chunkmonk View Post
    I find the 'noise' of a radio distracting while riding. I already have 47 things to keep track of and the noise coming at me from the dash is just too much. I had a great Alpine system on my last HD and the only time I ever turned it on was when I was parked somewhere. I'd rather have a builtin dashboard setup with GPS, Drivetrain status, Trip information - all of that functional stuff - skip the noiz. I have a phone, bluetooth helmet, bluetooth hearing aids,etc, if I get a phone call or text (which I will find a spot to pull off and respond to). I'd consider XM since I do listen to patriot news and a few other select news/talk stations, but don't know how to add satellite radio to the bike. I just got it in my truck and love it. I'm going to call them today and ask about having it set on my phone as well - problem solved.
    All you have to do is add streaming to your XM subscription (if it's not already included) and you can stream from your cell, pc, laptop, tablet, etc. I have an XM on my 2014 RTL and stream it to my cell and other devices so I have it in my car through my phone.

Spyder Garage

I like listening to the radio through BT. It works great as long as I don't need to change channels from driving out of range. Then I have to stop.
    2021 RTL Chrome, Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Might need to change the thread subject but I'm going to ask here anyway as few of you have mentioned you have 2014 RTL and listen to your iPod. I too have a 2014 & have been using Sena 50S. However, my husband got tired of all the problems with 50S and had factory CB installed. I had previously had CB installed as we both had GoldWings and took him awhile to get his Spyder.
    My question is: I want to flip back to using my CB but I listen to audiobooks more than music. I had tried connecting my older iPod to the back but feel like I'm missing something. Please, any suggestions? I'm due to go on a 2 week trip mid June and need to be able to listen to something. Thanks.
    Sandie
    Last edited by DreamsSewn; 05-31-2022 at 09:02 PM.
    2014 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I’m happiest with the free Dash app streaming from my iPhone. The FM radio stations I normally listen to don’t seem to be picked up well on the Spyders receiver or if they do the fidelity is poor. The Dash radio app has so little commercial interruptions and they play good tunes that I enjoy I seldom use the FM radio.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsSewn View Post
    Might need to change the thread subject but I'm going to ask here anyway as few of you have mentioned you have 2014 RTL and listen to you iPod. I too have a 2014 & have been using Sena 50S. However, my husband got tired of all the problems with 50S and had factory CB installed. I had previously had CB installed as we both had GoldWings and took him awhile to get his Spyder.
    My question is: I want to flip back to using my CB but I listen to audiobooks more than music. I had tried connecting my older iPod to the back but feel like I'm missing something. Please, any suggestions? I'm due to go on a 2 week trip mid June and need to be able to listen to something. Thanks.
    Sandie
    Not zure whT you’re asking Sandie. Are you not hearing your iPod at all....are you trying to hear it in your helmet? Just what are you asking?

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

I need advice on just how to connect the iPod to my 2014 RTL and when do I need to do to be able to hear the music via my CB speakers in helmet. For example: Do I just plug it into the socket on the right with iPod cord, have iPod turned on, have AUX on my dash and then how do I control my audiobook or music to stop and then restart?

I have the Zumo XT connected and if I put audiobook in this model of Zumo, when I stop the bike for lunch and start it up again to continue my book, I have to start at the beginning again. There's no way for me to scroll to my stopping point. Will I be encountering this same situation if I connect my iPod?

Thanks for any help. I tried to connect 3 yrs ago when I got the bike and had difficulties which is what led to getting the SENA. I just came back from a 50 mile trip and SENA disconnected or something for about 15-20 miles.

Sandie
    2014 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Mine got a lot better when I unscrewed all the connections, including ground strap, and cleaned off all the yellow locktite that was serving as insulation.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Sandie do you have the Sena SM10? This is the unit that Motorcycle Dave says that Sena is/has discontinued. You need this for your unit to play through your Bluetooth helmet speakers. Motorcycle Dave is the Sena guru. Send him a PM or telephone him about this problem you’re having. Very easy fellow to talk to. His ad is at the top of your Spyder Lovers screen.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have a bunch of music on my phone, and I also have the SXM App on my phone that I either bluetooth to my helmet, earbuds, or to the bike speakers, depending on which helmet I have on
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have an unused Sena SM10 that came on my 2014. Didn't need it so it's sitting in a bag in the garage along with the other stuff I removed.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

My sound system works fine, including the radio. I have a bluetooth FM adapter that allows me to play music from my phone if I choose (and hear NAV directions).

I found it sounds a lot better if I bias the sound more to the rear speakers.

I'm sure it would be better if I used bluetooth to a sound system in my helmet, but I do not have that capability (yet).
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know this radio subject has been beat to death over the last few years. I have a 2020 RTL and I’m sure anyone that has one has found the the radio is worthless. I’m curious now that the pandemic is hopefully over and things are getting back to normal has anyone heard of a solution to this problem?
    HI EVERYONE
    Well this posters opinion of the radio is spot on....CanAm has from day one had radios that were and are sub par when compared to
    most all other radios on motorcycles. Honda, Harley , Indian , BMW, and the list goes on, I would think that BRP would try and hook up with
    one of their radio makers and have them build a proper unit. So I would suggest you use your smart phone and a bluetooth head set and download the
    XM radio APP. or iHeart radio or Pandora for your enjoyment...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    HI EVERYONE
    Well this posters opinion of the radio is spot on....CanAm has from day one had radios that were and are sub par when compared to
    most all other radios on motorcycles. Honda, Harley , Indian , BMW, and the list goes on, I would think that BRP would try and hook up with
    one of their radio makers and have them build a proper unit. So I would suggest you use your smart phone and a bluetooth head set and download the
    XM radio APP. or iHeart radio or Pandora for your enjoyment...
    Dave as I said above I have ( and love ) the OEM " radio ". I didn't need to add an AMP to get great sound , both in volume and clarity .... I consider the " radio " to be the HEAD unit ONLY .... what didn't work for me was the LOK-TITE on the connections, the poor reception from the Antenna, and very limited / low performance of the speakers. After fixing those issues, my " radio " performs fantastically. Mike