Spyder Garage

Default New owner impressions

I bought a new 2022 Ryker 900 ACE on Saturday (2/25/23) and have about 50 miles on it (rainy and cold here...got caught in a downpour yesterday afternoon!). I've been riding MCs for 40+ years, and also a 2012 Can AM Outlander 1000 since new. I did a brief Can Am (spyder or ryker I can't recall) demo around the parking lot at the Sportsman's Show here in Sacramento some years back, and would admire them in the showroom when getting parts for my Outlander. Out of the blue I started looking at them early last week - I can't recall the impetus. So - I'm here to relay my thoughts as a new owner. Much of what I say may sound familiar to you who recall when you first got one, and may be encouraging to those pondering getting one.

Appearance - a sexy works of engineering. I find it very appealing and it makes me smile when I see it - a wild design that actually made it to production. The matte finish most everywhere, the single-nut hubs, beefy swing-arm, and low stance are all "industrial sheik" in my view.
    Engineering - since I got my Outlander, I appreciate Cam Am engineering details (I'd had a Kawasaki KFX400 and Polaris Sportsman for comparison). The engines are "no foolin" in design and performance, everything fits into a compact chassis/body without any unnecessary/ugly affectations.

Both the appearance and engineering are "sano" if you will.

Performance - well I can't really experience that yet as its not broken-in, but thus far I can tell it will be a hoot! I have tested the Eco, Standard, and Sport modes on my wet streets - fun!
    Riding - good grief, its so cool I'm surprised its even allowed in this state! Its akin to riding an ATV on the street. Seeing the front wheels spinning and turning "right there!" resembles a cockpit cam from F1 or Indy racing. I'm trying get it in my head as to dodging road hazards with all three wheels (trying to make such pass under either foot seems about right).

I'm already accumulating knowledge (read the manual online even before buying; read many, many posts on here and elsewhere; etc) and accumulating "stuff": maintenance - three filter change kits from Lamonster Garage, air filters (engine and CVT) on clearance at D. Kirk (five for $67 shipped!) and some do-dads - brake light modulator, oversized brake pedal from Slingmods, push-pin kit, hub plugs, SS woven wire #20 mesh to make a DIY radiator guard, etc). I'm also eyeing tires for the future though I am aware of the limitations for the fronts.

Oh, and I did my first "mod" - zip-tied the wheel nut retention ring-pins!

Spyder Garage

and

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

To me a very interesting evaluation.

Curious about your awareness of front tire limitations. I read they are long-lasting compared to my lifetime experiences with motorcycle tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    To me a very interesting evaluation.

Curious about your awareness of front tire limitations. I read they are long-lasting compared to my lifetime experiences with motorcycle tires.
    Steel Railway wheels would last a really long time too, but wouldn't really work all that well either!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The limitations are that the sole front tire that is the OEM size is the sole OEM tire - the Kenda. Kenda's would be my last choice for an OEM sized street tire...IF I had a choice.

That said, I will find alternatives - even if I need to modify or remove the fenders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AreWeNotMen View Post
    The limitations are that the sole front tire that is the OEM size is the sole OEM tire - the Kenda. Kenda's would be my last choice for an OEM sized street tire...IF I had a choice.
    That said, I will find alternatives - even if I need to modify or remove the fenders.
    Welcome,

a lot of guys (like me) use 165mm font-tires, no problem they fit perfect .. Kendas are not perfect for a Ryker/Spyder, the Rotax engine is too strong
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-01-2023 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Rotary - Rotax ;-)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I'm not finding much in the way of 165/50/16s here in the US [Achilles ATR-K Economist 165/50 R16 77V...never heard of "Achilles" but the name doesn't seem to bode well for a tire I need to depend on]
    Last edited by AreWeNotMen; 03-01-2023 at 08:29 AM. Reason: clarity

Spyder Garage

Now even more curious. What is wrong with the stock front tires that some of you are upset with?

All that blab above never addressed the issue, just some solutions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now even more curious. What is wrong with the stock front tires that some of you are upset with?

Stock Kenda tires: When I had my 2012 RT with 14" Kenda tires they started cupping at about 10K miles. Ran them with BRP's suggested air pressure; by the time I got 15K miles they were JUNK! They held air, but the handling was terrible. Replaced them with General RT 43's, 14". A wonderful tire; ran them 3K miles and traded for my 2020RTL.

On my 2020, the stock Kenda rear tire wore a hole in it at 10649 miles, "I remember it well!" Replaced that rear tire with the present Kumho tire, have almost 10K on that tire now and it's wearing evenly across the face of the tire with about 6/32 tread left. The front OEM Kenda's started cupping at 9K miles, so I changed them out at around 13K miles.

Kenda tires are JUNK, wheel-barrow rubber at best, or anything that doesn't exceed 40 MPH. My current tires are listed below!

I have just addressed the issue. You're welcome. Bill
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-01-2023 at 09:38 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Both Peter & I ( plus numerous others ) have been explaining the short-comings of the Kenda tires since 2010, so you may have missed the previous 12 years ..... Mike .... PS read post#9 .....for starters