Spyder Garage

Default 2023 Ryker 900 - anyone done any long trips?

Hello,

I had put a deposit on a spyder, but my wife convinced me to give the Ryker 900 a go first due to price and we could always upgrade in a couple years, but was curious if anyone has done any long trips say 400 miles 2 up. I found a site called slingmods that seems to have some touring accessories and was wondering if anyone added any of them and if the 900 can handle it. My last question is do you feel like these machines could hold up to say 50k miles with maintenance?

I am switching from 2 wheel because my wife finally said if I had a 3 wheeler that should would try.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-28-2023 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrshaunyd79 View Post
    Hello,

I had put a deposit on a spyder, but my wife convinced me to give the Ryker 900 a go first due to price and we could always upgrade in a couple years, but was curious if anyone has done any long trips say 400 miles 2 up. I found a site called slingmods that seems to have some touring accessories and was wondering if anyone added any of them and if the 900 can handle it. My last question is do you feel like these machines could hold up to say 50k miles with maintenance?

I am switching from 2 wheel because my wife finally said if I had a 3 wheeler that should would try.
    has
    There's a member from the Netherlands ( chris 56 ) who has done quite a bit of it .... He has added a full compliment of cargo carrying items ....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-01-2023 at 10:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hello,

I have a two up seat (Ultimate) on my 2022 Ryker Rally but it wouldn’t be my first choice for a two up trip of any distance. The machine itself is quite capable but not the most comfortable way to make a longer distance trip. The Ryker is designed to run at higher rpm’s so you’re going to notice that and it can be a fatigue factor the same way as wind noise is by the end of the day.

I looked into the slingmods trunk & panniers but decided against them. There are videos out there from people who installed them and were less than satisfied. And likely with filling up the trunk & bags plus the weight of you and your wife you’re going to need to upgrade the rear shock spring. So you’re going to spend money on necessary upgrades for trips of any distance and be less comfortable overall than you would be on a Spyder. I’d predict on your stated usage case you’ll trade up sooner than two years. I have an RTL and a Ryker and hands down if I had to have only one machine and was planning on taking more than day trips two up, no question I’d pick the Spyder over the Ryker every time.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-28-2023 at 05:44 PM. Reason: we're - were ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Hello,

I own an F3S myself - but I work on the Spyders and Rykers as a hobby gig. I have a buddy who has tour outfitted his Ryker. the Ultimate seat is expensive but totally worth it on the Ryker for better 2 up comfort. Lamonster sells a nice 3 piece luggage kit different than Slingmods one. Both seem like decent options. If carrying a passenger long distances and/or adding luggage - you should upgrade the rear shock - not designed well for all that weight. At the least - adjust the current stock shock to the highest setting -(which will feel stiff if riding alone but will help with the bottoming out with added weight).

A Ryker absolutely can handle the distance - but it's not the most comfortable way to do it. If that's your choice/budget - enjoy it.

Maintenance - no reason at all you won't get way more than 50k miles out of it. The biggest maintenance pain in the butt is the fact that the CVT Belt is not cheap - and needs evaluated/replaced every 12k based on the maintenance schedule. Oil changes are not hard - air filters are easy to access/replace.

Consider a windscreen to help break the wind on longer rides.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Yeah i am already looking into Elka suspension.

Spyder Garage

if you are going to spend all that extra money to make a ryker more comfortable, just go ahead and get a spyder, you will be much happier and so will your passengers. plus with a ryker you will be stopping every hundred miles or so for fuel, with a spyder it is more like every 175 miles or so. Just my two cents worth.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

"I am switching from 2 wheel because my wife finally said if I had a 3 wheeler that should would try."

My wife said the same thing and reneged after I got the RT.

IF your wife actually goes for a ride, I assure you she will 1000% prefer riding on ANY Spyder over the Ryker for several comfort reasons. IMHO.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

WORD! Ryker is just a short ride toy. Not a long-haul cruiser if you're over 30.

Spyder Garage

no problem, but better to take the "Rally" which has longer shocks - we made many 2up tours with luggage - 28 K miles now ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHZi05bFNRg&t=56s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    if you are going to spend all that extra money to make a ryker more comfortable, just go ahead and get a spyder, you will be much happier and so will your passengers. plus with a ryker you will be stopping every hundred miles or so for fuel, with a spyder it is more like every 175 miles or so. Just my two cents worth.

Cruzr Joe
    From a money stand point say you spend 28k on a spyder and 11k on the ryker 900 out the door. Even with custom shocks from Elka, Ultimate seat etc Im still not at 20k I guess thats the way I am looking at it for my first 3 wheeler?

Spyder Garage

From a money stand point say you spend 28k on a spyder and 11k on the ryker 900 out the door. Even with custom shocks from Elka, Ultimate seat etc Im still not at 20k I guess thats the way I am looking at it for my first 3 wheeler?
    I've seen 2020 RTs with low mileage for less than $20,000. Add a backrest and you're good to go. If you're wanting your wife to ride with you, she and you would be way more comfortable on a Spyder. If money is your only consideration on which model to buy, you'll be making a very costly mistake.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I've seen 2020 RTs with low mileage for less than $20,000. Add a backrest and you're good to go. If you're wanting your wife to ride with you, she and you would be way more comfortable on a Spyder. If money is your only consideration on which model to buy, you'll be making a very costly mistake.
    and if a RT isn't your style, there are F3T out there for as low as $15,000. I have owned 2 F3T and a F3 Limited. I tend to find them to be very dependable machines and still allow for a passenger or some spirited solo riding.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

My wife has a 2019 900 Ryker and loves it. In 2021 her Christmas present was the Elka shocks and the comfort seat. She said, "wow what a difference." Last year's vacation was 300+ miles a day, without issue. I am not sure how comfortable she would have been with stock. (My on my RT and her on her Ryker.) Don't even worry about the difference in gas tank mileage. Even when I have done Iron Butt Rides (on both my Goldwing and my Spyder) for comfort, plan to stop every 100 miles or so for a stretch break. (Gas, water in, water out, something to snack on). Those short stops will add to your endurance and the comfort.

As others have said, big difference in price between new Spyders and new Rykers -- BUT -- if you shop around you should be able to find good used Spyders at more comparable prices -- and the comfort of the RT is superior.

Bob
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

IMG_5737.jpg

From the F4 windshield, to the bags and box, the Ultimate seat, Can Am floorboards and more, the wife likes riding with me. This is a '22 sport that has the upgraded and adjustable rear shock. We hit nasty bumps loaded with no issues.

Fuel mileage on regular gas has been steady in the 33-34 mpg. Cruise control works well and I am comfortable at high speeds as it tracks straight and easily. Never been a fan of fancy stuff so things like radios, heated seats, massive computer gadgets and power steering are things i want to avoid. This bike is sure more comfortable and easier to ride than any of my Harleys, BMW's and Moto Guzzi's are. The weight and length is far more manageable loading and transporting in my toy hauler if I so choose. You should know the Spyder is a 900 - 1,100+ lb creatures near 10 ft. long.

Now I am aware of the 12-14K belt change. I expect to do it myself as lifting the top is time-consuming but relatively easy to do. The actual belt change is simple and the belts are a $150 +- item so not hideously expensive. To pay a dealer to do that is ridiculously expensive.

Oil changes are 6,000 miles and simple. Same with other fluid and filter changes. I haver only read of some Rykers with high mileage but remember, the 2019 model is the first year of production.

I say test ride them both and decide.

Spyder Garage

You would be wishing you never listened to your wife when it came down to purchasing a Ryker for two-up riding and long distances to boot. It would be like driving from New York to L.A. in the luxury of a golf cart. The Ryker is nice for solo riding around town but that’s about it. Its limitations would drive you crazy. Go either RT, F3 or stay home.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Has your wife sat on any Rykers with a passenger seat? When we started looking for a 3 wheeler, my wife sat on a couple Rykers and said no way. When she sat in the passenger seat on an RT, she was sold.

2019 RTL
    2019 RTL , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post

I'm not a big fan of two up riding on a Ryker for anything resembling a long distance ride.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I bought my Ryker with both comfort seats. The standard seats are hard and start getting uncomfortable quickly.

Spyder Garage

I think I should explain the longer trips would be solo, as she would only be riding with me on date nights around town, I think this is where I did not elaborate once we both have more time to travel I would 100% go F3 limited or RT. would be more for solo Long trips. The 2 up trip would be 200 miles there 200 back, maybe twice a year.

Spyder Garage

When BRP designed the Ryker they wanted a lower cost machine to attract folks to 3 wheels. it was never designed or marketed to be a Spyder replacement for folks that already have a Spyder. It's like the Sportster of the 3 wheel world. So many current Spyder owners rail on the Ryker and discourage folks from considering them. Again, it wasn't meant to compete with the Spyder or replace it. It was meant to draw folks in - give them a cheaper point of entry - and maybe convert them to the more expensive Spyders later.

All that said - People were touring the country on 400cc and less machines FOR YEARS! it's all a matter of what you want and what you can afford. The Ryker is perfectly capable. Was it designed as a short hop (bar hopper) kind of bike - absolutely. Can it tour the country - absolutely. Can you buy a new Ryker, and load it out with accessories for the same money you can get a used Spyder - sure - but it's not apples and apples - new with warranty vs. ol without (maybe).

This website was created when Rykers weren't a thing - it's no surprise you have so many existing Spyder owners trying to talk you out of a Ryker. I'd say - ride it - see what you think for your personally. You never mention what your 2 wheel bike was. If it was a larger touring model - stepping down to a Ryker may be stepping down. If it was a smaller bike that worked just fine you - the Ryker quite possibly will also work just fine you.

Just my 2 cents - which goes against most others 2 cents on here. ;-)
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    ..... You never mention what your 2 wheel bike was. If it was a larger touring model - stepping down to a Ryker may be stepping down. If it was a smaller bike that worked just fine you - the Ryker quite possibly will also work just fine you.

Just my 2 cents - which goes against most others 2 cents on here. ;-)
    a Sportster 1200 lol I love the nimble bikes

My Sporty

184949338_10215995013067470_5050608879223767698_n.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-02-2023 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Merged & fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

It is crazy to relate comfort with motorcycle riding. I always thought people rode motorcycles for the excitement and adventure of riding out in the open. It is basically an exercise in vitality, not an experience in comfort. If you demand luxury and comfort, have someone drive you in a limo or fly in your private plane. I have the memories of riding motorcycles all over Europe, parts of Asia, Africa, all states and provinces except Hawaii, all Central American countries and some South American ones. Never gave comfort a thought. It was a series of adventures. You don't get that sitting in a comfortable chair on a land yacht.

If the theme of people on three-wheelers is comfort, then to me it is proof they are not viewing the three wheelers as motorcycles.

Spyder Garage

Evesdropping ..... I traded my FJR1300 and my Ryker Rally for an F3 Limited (see avatar). I rode the Ryker about 600 miles from the dealer where I picked it up to my house. I think it was a week before I could sit comfortably! I had over 95k on the FJR and loved every mile of it, 3k on the Ryker and it was OK. I have 18k on my F3 now and it is a touring delight but not as much 'fun' as the FJR. Age has been the major factor for going to three wheels (79 now) but I still have a Vespa 300....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2023 at 04:52 PM. Reason: avitar - avatar ;-)
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

300 miles is as far as I've gone on our Ryker so far. Not a problem. I could easily go farther.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...