Spyder Garage

Default 2021 F3 Ltd has awful Radio reception - where's the antenna plug?

I have terrible radio reception and cant find where the antenna plugs in at, any help out there?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-26-2023 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

We have found more than 1 new Spyder where the antenna was not connected during assembly and pre-delivery by the dealership. I would check that first.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    We have found more than 1 new Spyder where the antenna was not connected during assembly and pre-delivery by the dealership. I would check that first.
    .... also BRP uses ENORMOUS amounts of ....thread locker .... when you find the antennae remove it and clean off all the thread locker, use a STAR washer instead .... also folks have reported the grounding strap was loose or not even connected..... these are commonly reported issues ..... also check a parts Fiche' for how all this stuff is connected to the Spyder .... Mike

Spyder Garage

How do you get to these connections that is my problem I cant find them?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the antenna is in the left rear

Spyder Garage

Is it near the ground strap?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    the antenna is in the left rear
    I think he's asking where does it plug into the audio unit? That would be up front somewhere.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

What is the location of it, I cant find it, pictures would really help.

Spyder Garage

Where does it connect to the radio? Would it be abouve right saddle bag? Pictures would be a blessing.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I think he's asking where does it plug into the audio unit? That would be up front somewhere.
    Schematic from the service manual shows the antenna cable is routed through the console harness and connected on the Multifunction gauge for a 2020 not sure about a 2021.

harness.jpg

Update:and looking at this diagram it looks like the radio is integrated with the multifunction gauge which means if you have a bad radio you have to replace the whole gauge cluster?
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-26-2023 at 11:20 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I cant find the radio to get to the antenna. By the way I love your swaybar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tekslk View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you won't find a separate radio on a 2020+ Spyder, cos it's built-in to the dash unit/Multi-function cluster!

So go to the back of the bike, remove the trunk (if there is one) & the panel the antenna sticks out of - the missed connections &/or poor earths are usually in there somewhere.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I doubt that you problem is at the radio. It's much more likely to be at the antenna. The wire that goes to the base of the antenna is probably not connected. Until that is fixed, it won't matter what else you do.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Schematic from the service manual shows the antenna cable is routed through the console harness and connected on the Multifunction gauge for a 2020 not sure about a 2021.

harness.jpg

Update:and looking at this diagram it looks like the radio is integrated with the multifunction gauge which means if you have a bad radio you have to replace the whole gauge cluster?
    Your pic is rather fuzzy. Does it show an antenna cable plugging into the cluster? It looks like that may be it about half way along the cluster connector line. The other unit in the schematic must be the audio amplifier, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep it's plugged into the cluster along with the AUX and USB cables, sound goes back out to the amplifier.

I wonder why they did a separate amplifier unit but yet integrated the radio into the gauge cluster?

Why not put the radio with the amp?
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-26-2023 at 11:23 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I wonder why they did a separate amplifier unit but yet integrated the radio into the gauge cluster?

Why not put the radio with the amp?
    I'm guessing physical size. With the miniaturization of electronics today, the cluster electronics looked like a good place to plunk down a chip about the size of a lady bug! Probably also easier to integrate the radio controls into the cluster controls on the same PC board rather than wires between the cluster and amp.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Here's the plug on my 2021 F3L. It was unplugged when I bought it used. Suppose previous owner had removed the trunk and didn't plug it back in.

IMG_20230228_080310556~2.jpg

IMG_20230228_080234249.jpg

IMG_20230228_080230455.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2023 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Awful radio reception is the standard of the provided radio tuner and is about the best one could hope to achieve under ideal operating conditions. The audio system does however shine brighter with Bluetooth streaming audio making it significantly more appealing to me. I choose that method as first priority for sound quality, content and playback of commercial free music. It’s not demanding audiophile quality but considering all of the conditions and limitations of a motorcycle, not bad at all.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Default F3radio

Can anyone tell me where the f3 radio antenna plugs into radio ?

Spyder Garage

I tried installing a longer antenna that helped some bought off ebay. After that I took the ground strap bolt and put two washers under it and that did the trick, my radio now plays like it should.

Spyder Garage

Correction the washers helped the ground strap bolt but when I actually started it, it went to hell again, turns out the led lights are making radio noise.

Spyder Garage

I tried installing a longer antenna that helped some bought off ebay. After that I took the ground strap bolt and put two washers under it and that did the trick, my radio now plays like it should.
    At the risk of redundancy, where is the offending ground strap located? I did pull the antenna leads apart and clean them (primarily located under the passenger seat on the Ltd) but the ground strap? No idea and I don't have access to a 'shop manual.' And oddly enough, I installed a shorter antenna and improved reception by a smidge.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    No idea and I don't have access to a 'shop manual.'
    For about $25 or $30 you can get one from www.canammanuals.com. It's well worth it.

2014 Copper RTS