Spyder Garage

Smile Which is a better choice, directional tires or symmetrical tires?

I was looking for tires and found 2 types of rear tires.

I wonder which tire is suitable for a spider between a directional tire and a symmetrical tire.

s-l1600.jpg
    cp672_product.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post
    I was looking for tires and found 2 types of rear tires.

I wonder which tire is suitable for a spider between a directional tire and a symmetrical tire.

s-l1600.jpg
    cp672_product.jpg
    I would not worry about the tread design as much as quality of tire is more important. You have a Kumho pictured which many are using here in the USA and some in Australia. They are far better than the OEM Kenda tire but still not considered the best. Some directional tires are preferred for extremely wet conditions. That Kumho pictured is still prone to wear out the center part of the tread first.
    What size and brand is the other choice you have pictured? I would not hesitate to run that tire if the quality of the casing is up to standards. Buy quality first and tread design second.
    Just my opinion of your situation. NO CHARGE! Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After I bought my first Spyder back in 09 I researched this question in depth, because I wanted to know why BRP was stating " the ONLY tires you CAN use are KENDA's " .... I had received extensive training for " accident investigations " as an LEO. .... First thing I learned was BRP was Hyping their product, for no other reason than MONEY. Concerning the differences " TREAD patterns " might make - it's also realistically " HYPE " in order to sell a specific model of tire. For tires I buy, I put more emphasis on the Tread compound than on the Tread pattern..... For me " Tire Science " dictates what I spend my money on...... Buy what makes you happy, all automotive tires are better than Kenda's or Kanine's, and IF Inflated properly for the weight of a Spyder/Ryker they will be safe ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    I would not worry about the tread design as much as quality of tire is more important. You have a Kumho pictured which many are using here in the USA and some in Australia. They are far better than the OEM Kenda tire but still not considered the best. Some directional tires are preferred for extremely wet conditions. That Kumho pictured is still prone to wear out the center part of the tread first.
    What size and brand is the other choice you have pictured? I would not hesitate to run that tire if the quality of the casing is up to standards. Buy quality first and tread design second.
    Just my opinion of your situation. NO CHARGE! Bill
    Thank you for good information. It's too hard to get depending on the tire size, so I'm currently looking at the 215/60r15 size. I am worried if it will be ok if I use 215/60r15.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    After I bought my first Spyder back in 09 I researched this question in depth, because I wanted to know why BRP was stating " the ONLY tires you CAN use are KENDA's " .... I had received extensive training for " accident investigations " as an LEO. .... First thing I learned was BRP was Hyping their product, for no other reason than MONEY. Concerning the differences " TREAD patterns " might make - it's also realistically " HYPE " in order to sell a specific model of tire. For tires I buy, I put more emphasis on the Tread compound than on the Tread pattern..... For me " Tire Science " dictates what I spend my money on...... Buy what makes you happy, all automotive tires are better than Kenda's or Kanine's, and IF Inflated properly for the weight of a Spyder/Ryker they will be safe ....... Mike
    Even in Korea, many people don't like Kenda tires very much. It is very sad that there are not many types of tires..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post
    Thank you for good information. It's too hard to get depending on the tire size, so I'm currently looking at the 215/60r15 size. I am worried if it will be ok if I use 215/60r15.
    My estimation that the 215/60r15 is the perfect size for a Spyder. That is my next choice for an upcoming tire. The width of that tire is a bit narrower and may let the tire wear more even across the thread. Get ur Done! Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Here is some information, a lot of which comes from BLUEKNIGHT911. I am on my third Altimax and have been very satisfied with them. I cannot, however, tell you what kind of max mileage you can expect because I have never run one as far as it will go. My major annual tours have always been long enough that I changed the rear tire early because I did not want the hassle of trying to find a dealer or qualified shop that would mount a car tire when am on the far side of beyond. I probably will try the Vredestein on my next change.

Rear Tires
    Stock Size 225/50R15
    General Altimax RT 43 215/60R15 94T
    Michelin Defender 205/65R15
    Vredestein Quatrac 205/60R15 or 205/65R15
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60R15 -- Tire Rack
    Hankook H737 KINERGY PT All-Season Tire - 215/60R15 94H

Sizes that will fit:
    225/50R-15
    215/60R-15
    205/65R-15
    205-60R-15
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Here is some information, a lot of which comes from BLUEKNIGHT911. I am on my third Altimax and have been very satisfied with them. I cannot, however, tell you what kind of max mileage you can expect because I have never run one as far as it will go. My major annual tours have always been long enough that I changed the rear tire early because I did not want the hassle of trying to find a dealer or qualified shop that would mount a car tire when am on the far side of beyond. I probably will try the Vredestein on my next change.

Rear Tires
    Stock Size 225/50R15
    General Altimax RT 43 215/60R15 94T
    Michelin Defender 205/65R15
    Vredestein Quatrac 205/60R15 or 205/65R15
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60R15 -- Tire Rack
    Hankook H737 KINERGY PT All-Season Tire - 215/60R15 94H

Sizes that will fit:
    225/50R-15
    215/60R-15
    205/65R-15
    205-60R-15
    Thanks for that ..... on those tire choices except for that HANKOOK, although it might get 50 to 60,000 mi. ( or more ) it has the worst Performance rating numbers other than for Unknown Never heard of Brands of tires..... I now have that RAPTOR and so far it has exceeded my expectations plus it's way less expensive than the others ..... JMHO .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Spyder tires

any one running directional tires on front on spyder rt limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nomad1500 View Post
    any one running directional tires on front on spyder rt limited
    Tons...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Tons...
    Also non-directional, asymmetrical ...... take your pick .... PS this is pure manufacturer model hype ..... any Auto tire will exceed any Kenda or Kanine tire as long as you use PSI's according to the weight of the Spyder ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Also non-directional, asymmetrical ...... take your pick .... PS this is pure manufacturer model hype ..... any Auto tire will exceed any Kenda or Kanine tire as long as you use PSI's according to the weight of the Spyder ......Mike
    True...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks I must likey be using vrendestein quatrac 165/60r/15

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nomad1500 View Post
    Thanks I must likey be using vrendestein quatrac 165/60r/15
    I just put two of those on mine....Love them.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I see that they are now selling the 205/65/15 in the vredestein quatrac tires. Anyone running that size with the 165/60/15 up front? I am considering these tires for my 2022 and my wife’s 2020 RTL. I run these same tires on my little commuter car and like them a lot. I think it would be great to run a matching set for the spyders front and back if I could.
    2020 RTL , Chalk metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster58 View Post
    I see that they are now selling the 205/65/15 in the vredestein quatrac tires. Anyone running that size with the 165/60/15 up front? I am considering these tires for my 2022 and my wife’s 2020 RTL. I run these same tires on my little commuter car and like them a lot. I think it would be great to run a matching set for the spyders front and back if I could.
    I'm running the Hankooks -- Kenergy S Touring on the rear in 205/65 -- Ventus V4 ES on the front in 175/55 on our Spyder and couldn't be more satisfied. It puts plenty of rubber on the road IMHO as I have never gotten it to break loose on dry or wet roads and with the slightly wider front tires it feels more stable in the corners. The additional benefit is recalibration of your speedometer. When compared against GPS it is only off by 0.5mph at 75.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I'm running the Hankooks -- Kenergy S Touring on the rear in 205/65 -- Ventus V4 ES on the front in 175/55 on our Spyder and couldn't be more satisfied. It puts plenty of rubber on the road IMHO as I have never gotten it to break loose on dry or wet roads and with the slightly wider front tires it feels more stable in the corners. The additional benefit is recalibration of your speedometer. When compared against GPS it is only off by 0.5mph at 75.
    IF those Hankooks EVER wear out please let us know ...... JHMO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster58 View Post
    I'm running the 165/60R-15 on the front and like them a lot. When the time comes I'll put the quatrac on the back also.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

IF those Hankooks EVER wear out please let us know ...... JHMO .... Mike

Sure thing; if I live that long.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I have read a lot of negative stuff about stock tires. Frankly, it scares me. I have a 22 Sea to Sky with a little over 1000 mi on it. I am worried about going 75 mph down interstate with my wife on back pulling a trailer. I don't want to be worried about my tires. I heard good things about the Altima 215/60r15 on back and Quatrac on front. Now I hear Quatrac has 205 for back. Wondering which is better for back?

Spyder Garage

I have been running 215x60Rx15 Stratus on the rear of my 21 RTL for a year, great results as I ride twisty Mt roads daily. I find no wear, that I can see anyway.
    [img]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TFoster View Post
    I have read a lot of negative stuff about stock tires. Frankly, it scares me. I have a 22 Sea to Sky with a little over 1000 mi on it. I am worried about going 75 mph down interstate with my wife on back pulling a trailer. I don't want to be worried about my tires. I heard good things about the Altima 215/60r15 on back and Quatrac on front. Now I hear Quatrac has 205 for back. Wondering which is better for back?
    Have NO fear about those garbage Kenda's, they are at the minimum for use, but they shouldn't Fail..... If you can get better tires mounted in the future I highly recommend you do so ..... Just let the ones you have wear out then make the switch ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crewless View Post
    I have been running 215x60Rx15 Stratus on the rear of my 21 RTL for a year, great results as I ride twisty Mt roads daily. I find no wear, that I can see anyway.
    Time does not ( normally ) wear out tires .....Mileage DOES .... PS, I've never heard of that Brand. ....good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Time does not ( normally ) wear out tires .....Mileage DOES .... PS, I've never heard of that Brand. ....good luck .... Mike
    But it DOES AGE them out for sure! ;-) Ozone eats them up slowly but surely. I would replace full depth tires if they were 5yrs old or more.... But that's just me, I ask a LOT of my tires.....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic