Spyder Garage

Default 5 thousand mile review, 2022 RT-L.

here's my 5K review of my 22 RT-L your options and mileage may differ.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZL...SLICEofAmerica

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for your review. Sounds like we are both "full sized" individuals (265, 6'-2" myself). I have owned my 2021 RTL for 4 months and logged in about 1600 miles. For me, I cannot really say i have any of the same complaints that you have. I tend to adjust to my bikes rather than modify them to me. But it can be difficult sometimes when going between this and the 2016 F3L. For me, my biggest complaints would be the inaccuracy of the gas guage, when comparing it to the other bikes that I have owned. I also do not like the location of the windscreen adjustment button. I would rather have it on the handlebars. I would gladly exchange the location for the volume control button on the bars. Which brings me to the thought of why does the bike have 3 locations to adjust the radio volume? I could go on, but as you said, overall I am happy with the bike.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Thanks for your review. Sounds like we are both "full sized" individuals (265, 6'-2" myself). I have owned my 2021 RTL for 4 months and logged in about 1600 miles. For me, I cannot really say i have any of the same complaints that you have. I tend to adjust to my bikes rather than modify them to me. But it can be difficult sometimes when going between this and the 2016 F3L. For me, my biggest complaints would be the inaccuracy of the gas guage, when comparing it to the other bikes that I have owned. I also do not like the location of the windscreen adjustment button. I would rather have it on the handlebars. I would gladly exchange the location for the volume control button on the bars. Which brings me to the thought of why does the bike have 3 locations to adjust the radio volume? I could go on, but as you said, overall I am happy with the bike.
    one complaint i left out was the the fuel tank and fill, it is ludicrous to have the fuel fill under the seat, BRP could have done away with the switch cluster and secondary volume control they could have put the fuel fill there.
    also the fact these things are a pain to fill at gas stations that require to jam the nozzle all the way in so you collapse the nozzle neck.. what flipping engineer came up with that idea.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    one complaint i left out was the the fuel tank and fill, it is ludicrous to have the fuel fill under the seat, BRP could have done away with the switch cluster and secondary volume control they could have put the fuel fill there.
    also the fact these things are a pain to fill at gas stations that require to jam the nozzle all the way in so you collapse the nozzle neck.. what flipping engineer came up with that idea.
    100%. I love being able to pull up to any side of the gas pump and being able to fuel up my F3L. The gas fill nozzle being in the center is the best. Not having to navigate the gas nozzle in order to fuel up from the right side is a God sent.

Spyder Garage

You guys could always sell and buy a different bike.
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    went and looked at 2023 HD road glide , I'll most likely have one by summers end.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Thanks for your review. Sounds like we are both "full sized" individuals (265, 6'-2" myself). I have owned my 2021 RTL for 4 months and logged in about 1600 miles. For me, I cannot really say i have any of the same complaints that you have. I tend to adjust to my bikes rather than modify them to me. But it can be difficult sometimes when going between this and the 2016 F3L. For me, my biggest complaints would be the inaccuracy of the gas gauge, when comparing it to the other bikes that I have owned. I also do not like the location of the windscreen adjustment button. I would rather have it on the handlebars. I would gladly exchange the location for the volume control button on the bars. Which brings me to the thought of why does the bike have 3 locations to adjust the radio volume? I could go on, but as you said, overall I am happy with the bike.
    Hi blacklightning. I have a 2021 RTL...and am happy with it and find it comfortable except in really hot and humid weather, where the wind protection is too good. Your comment on "3 locations to adjust the radio volume" was well received by me. My question is Why does CanAm think we need a radio and six speakers, with four of them in the dash occupying space where they could put a better, bigger display, is beyond me and to top that, put multiple volume controls on the bike. I would pay more for the bike without the stupid radio and speakers. especially if it had a bigger display. I'm certainly not wanting to compete noise-wise, with the open exhaust crowd on their cruiser bikes with their radios blaring at rock concert volume so they can hear them over the loud exhaust...but that's me and each to their own.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2023 at 08:52 PM. Reason: load (refers to weight) - loud (refers to noise) ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    Why? Just because I find faults in the bike doesn’t mean that I don’t like it? Hardly ever will people find anything 100% to their satisfaction. So far I have owned a 2014 RT, 2012 rss, 2016 f3t, 2016 f3 limited, and now a 2021 RTL. So i have quite a bit of experience with spyders. I think I might like this one the best, but only time will tell. But even so, there will always be room for improvements. If not, the aftermarket would be dead.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Basically Slice, all your complaints other than tires are related to the fact your physical stature isn't accommodated by the Spyder design. That doesn't make them faults, or engineering defects, per se but rather incompatible features caused by the BRP engineers' design choices. When you mentioned all the other bikes you had that did have adjustments the question that came to mind is, "How many of those bikes deliberately take into account the needs of a 110 lb., 5' 2" rider? BRP did.

A friend of mine wasn't comfortable riding a Goldwing because of his 6' plus height. Every bike is designed for a certain segment of the population and you just don't fit into the one the Spyder is targeted at. I could be wrong, but judging from all the photos I see of people riding HDs, because of your size you fit the demographic HD designs for! I'm going to guess that BRP took the needs of women into consideration more seriously than does HD.

In short, what your review says is if you are a tall heavy set male you really need to consider closely whether the Spyder is the right machine for you.

You'll get a lot of agreement here about the quality of the Kenda tires. You can be sure BRP has good reason for using them, but user experience runs contrary to the reasons they have, which of course they will not disclose to us.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Basically Slice, all your complaints other than tires are related to the fact your physical stature isn't accommodated by the Spyder design. That doesn't make them faults, or engineering defects, per se but rather incompatible features caused by the BRP engineers' design choices. When you mentioned all the other bikes you had that did have adjustments the question that came to mind is, "How many of those bikes deliberately take into account the needs of a 110 lb., 5' 2" rider? BRP did.

A friend of mine wasn't comfortable riding a Goldwing because of his 6' plus height. Every bike is designed for a certain segment of the population and you just don't fit into the one the Spyder is targeted at. I could be wrong, but judging from all the photos I see of people riding HDs, because of your size you fit the demographic HD designs for! I'm going to guess that BRP took the needs of women into consideration more seriously than does HD.

In short, what your review says is if you are a tall heavy set male you really need to consider closely whether the Spyder is the right machine for you.

You'll get a lot of agreement here about the quality of the Kenda tires. You can be sure BRP has good reason for using them, but user experience runs contrary to the reasons they have, which of course they will not disclose to us.
    you are correct i am on the large side 6 foot 250- and i did say in the title your mileage and opinion may differ.
    my biggest complaint was the lack of adjustability.

BRP could have added some adjustability to some of the systems with little to no cost.

i also said over all i did like the bike.

my list of complaints about my 03 Harley road glide was far worse than this and i managed to squeeze 110K miles out in 10 years and working a full time job.
    under powered
    gauge cluster sat to low
    radio and sound system useless
    glove compartment on fairing useless
    tires had no grip ( replace them at 500 miles)

there are no perfect bikes that's why there's a huge aftermarket for just about every brand out there.

if there is a perfect bike it's the ones that are 2-3 years old with less than a thousand miles on the clock and up for sale