Spyder Garage

Default What's the best choice for Spider front and rear tires?

Road conditions in Korea are bad. Also, there are a lot of bumps.

I keep looking for a tire size to get away from Kenda tires.

- front tire type -
    1. continental ultracontact uc6 175/50 R15
    2. michelin xm2+ 175/50 R15
    3. goodyear assurance duraplus2 175/50 R15
    4. continental ecocontact uc5 165/60 R15
    5. bridgestone nextry 165/60 R15

- Rear tire type -
    1. Kumho Ecsta Ast Ku25 - 225/50r15

It is the only tire sold in Korea.

Which one is better for the front of the Spyder motorcycle, and for the rear tire, please recommend a better tire than the Kumho one.

thank you..

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post
    Road conditions in Korea are bad. Also, there are a lot of bumps.

I keep looking for a tire size to get away from Kenda tires.

- front tire type -
    1. continental ultracontact uc6 175/50 R15
    2. michelin xm2+ 175/50 R15
    3. goodyear assurance duraplus2 175/50 R15
    4. continental ecocontact uc5 165/60 R15
    5. bridgestone nextry 165/60 R15

- Rear tire type -
    1. Kumho Ecsta Ast Ku25 - 225/50r15

It is the only tire sold in Korea.

Which one is better for the front of the Spyder motorcycle, and for the rear tire, please recommend a better tire than the Kumho one. For the front the Michelin & the goodyear would be best ..... good luck .... Mike

thank you..
    If that Kumho is the ONLY tire sold in Korea ( for the rear ) then I don't think you have a choice. Get the Kumho instead of another Kenda.

Spyder Garage

If your local Authorities allow, you might be better off looking at a slightly different size for the Rear kongdoly!

Here in Oz, we are allowed to fit different sizes/tires within a certain range, just so long as they meet or exceed the Load & Speed ratings of the OEM tire; effectively meaning that if it's an approved/allowed fit on your Spyder's OE Rims and the tire you choose will fit under the OEM Fenders without rubbing, you can run it! I've tested quite a few tires on my Spyder and I'm currently running a 205/60R15 Michelin on the back of my Spyder RT that's working very well on our 'less than ideal' road surfaces! So if your Authorities work on a similar basis to ours, then after looking at the selection of tires you've got for the front, in your circumstances I'd be very tempted to go with Michelin XM2+ tires all round!

The Michelin XM2+ 175/50R15's you list will fit and work very well up front, altho you might need to just ease up the lip of the fender a touch to actually put them on, but they'll fit fine once mounted; and you should also check to make sure they don't rub the black inner fender splash guard or the heads of the bolts holding the fender on - you might need to swap the hex head bolts for flat head or pan head screws - I have. A 205/60R15 Michelin will easily fit on the rear and will probably make your speedo a lot closer to accurate too! I'd expect you to be very pleased & impressed with the improved ride & handling running about 16-18 psi all round!

Mind you, I don't know what the difference is, but here in Oz the Kumho you've listed works far better than the OEM tires all respects, they last pretty well on our hot roads, and they have none of the hydroplaning tendencies in the wet that some have reported experiencing in North America - maybe it's our coarser &/or hotter road surfaces, or possibly we get a slightly different tread compound here?? But IF yours are anything like ours, then when run at or near the right (lower) pressure for the (lighter) load of our Spyders, you could do a lot worse than running one of those Kumho's!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-23-2023 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Mind....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If that Kumho is the ONLY tire sold in Korea ( for the rear ) then I don't think you have a choice. Get the Kumho instead of another Kenda.

oh..thank you..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If your local Authorities allow, you might be better off looking at a slightly different size for the Rear kongdoly!

Here in Oz, we are allowed to fit different sizes/tires within a certain range, just so long as they meet or exceed the Load & Speed ratings of the OEM tire; effectively meaning that if it's an approved/allowed fit on your Spyder's OE Rims and the tire you choose will fit under the OEM Fenders without rubbing, you can run it! I've tested quite a few tires on my Spyder and I'm currently running a 205/60R15 Michelin on the back of my Spyder RT that's working very well on our 'less than ideal' road surfaces! So if your Authorities work on a similar basis to ours, then after looking at the selection of tires you've got for the front, in your circumstances I'd be very tempted to go with Michelin XM2+ tires all round!

The Michelin XM2+ 175/50R15's you list will fit and work very well up front, altho you might need to just ease up the lip of the fender a touch to actually put them on, but they'll fit fine once mounted; and you should also check to make sure they don't rub the black inner fender splash guard or the heads of the bolts holding the fender on - you might need to swap the hex head bolts for flat head or pan head screws - I have. A 205/60R15 Michelin will easily fit on the rear and will probably make your speedo a lot closer to accurate too! I'd expect you to be very pleased & impressed with the improved ride & handling running about 16-18 psi all round!

Mind you, I don't know what the difference is, but here in Oz the Kumho you've listed works far better than the OEM tires all respects, they last pretty well on our hot roads, and they have none of the hydroplaning tendencies in the wet that some have reported experiencing in North America - maybe it's our coarser &/or hotter road surfaces, or possibly we get a slightly different tread compound here?? But IF yours are anything like ours, then when run at or near the right (lower) pressure for the (lighter) load of our Spyders, you could do a lot worse than running one of those Kumho's!
    Thank you for a detailed description! If the rear tires are Michelin, I'll have to look for them. If I do front and rear Michelin, it will be the best combination!