Spyder Garage

Default Which is slower, F3-S vs F3-T?

I currently have a 2019 Ryker Rally and while i like it, it has some shortcomings. I would like to upgrade to a spyder for some more long distance riding and occasional two up rides. I am leaning towards the F3-T because it will be cheaper in the end and probably more comfortable. By the time i upgrade the rear shock either with a two up spring or an entirely new shock and add a passenger seat and add saddlebags and a windscreen the F3-s will be more expensive. I would need to add a passenger backrest to either.

But I have two things pushing me towards the f3-s
    1) there is a fully manual/clutch shifting 2019 f3-s a couple hours away and I really like a manual tranny with clutch
    2) sport mode - as much as i want to go on longer rides and multi-day trips, the bulk of riding will still be on back roads locally and having the ability to go quickly in the environment is a lot of fun to me.

So here is my question - how much slower is the f3-t than the f3-s.... keeping in mind of coming from a ryker rally which is a blast on back roads and corners, is the f3-t going to feel like a suburban compared to my ryker/miata? Or should i just bite the bullet and get the f3-s knowing it will be more expensive in the long run.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-22-2023 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Look for an F3T 2017 or earlier. They have the larger rear pulley, same as the F3S, and are just as quick as the F3S.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Don’t you mean, “which is FASTER” Delkouri? I still remember my first track training day……the instructor said he would set up 4 speed groups for us to choose. First group was the FAST group, followed by the FASTER group, the EVEN FASTER group and the BLISTERINGLY FAST group. That was the only day I have ever been a FAST rider,

You really are talking about 2 different beasts here. If the vast majority of your riding is alone, and you want the faster model, go with the S, with its Sports and manual mode that the T does not have. However, the T really is no slouch. If it was me, I’d be going with the T, as you can indeed throw it around, but your passenger will be more comfortable when they are on it. (which is a major consideration ). Also, if finances allow, you can always get the ECM tune upgrade from Monster for a few hundred $, which will give you a pretty fair performance gain on the T.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Look for an F3T 2017 or earlier. They have the larger rear pulley, same as the F3S, and are just as quick as the F3S.
    That is very good to know.
    Is that the same for the pulley for the f3L from 17 or earlier? There is a 2016 F3L triple black on my list?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the 16 has a different pulley it will get you going faster

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    That is very good to know.
    Is that the same for the pulley for the f3L from 17 or earlier? There is a 2016 F3L triple black on my list?
    In 2017 they rear pulley was changed to the smaller one on the F3L, but the 2016 F3L has the same larger pulley as the F3S and the 2016 & 2017 F3T. I have owned two 2016 F3T and a 2016 F3 Limited. They both are quick. But on a side note, if you get a later model F3T with the smaller rear sprocket, you can add a pedal commander or pedal box to get the pick up you are looking for. This is my wife and I on our 2016 bikes last August. If you are necessarily looking for a manual, I think 2017 was the last year for that on the F3T.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Check the vin on the 2016, the F3L did not have a trunk, had the triple black an was called the "Special Edition". It did have the SE6 transmission.
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post
    Check the vin on the 2016, the F3L did not have a trunk, had the triple black an was called the "Special Edition". It did have the SE6 transmission.
    Mine says, "Special Series". But i think we are talking about the same one.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I believe the 2016 F3L was called the Limited special series triple black or sometimes called the monolith black satin. And it did not have a top case/trunk. Its good to know that it has the larger rear pulley as does the 2016 and 2017 f3T. I do have a manual tranny 2017 F3T on my list of possibilities but its ~6 hours away by car. So its possible but a bit complicated.

So it might have to be get things situation financially and then be ready to pounce when I find a good deal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    In 2017 they rear pulley was changed to the smaller one on the F3L, but the 2016 F3L has the same larger pulley as the F3S and the 2016 & 2017 F3T. I have owned two 2016 F3T and a 2016 F3 Limited. They both are quick. But on a side note, if you get a later model F3T with the smaller rear sprocket, you can add a pedal commander or pedal box to get the pick up you are looking for. This is my wife and I on our 2016 bikes last August. If you are necessarily looking for a manual, I think 2017 was the last year for that on the F3T.
    The last year for the 89 Tooth Rear sprocket for the F3T was 2018. My girlfriend and I both have 2018 F3T's, however this was also the year BRP came out with the digital dash which a lot of members are not fond of. We both have Pedal commanders and it's a blast.

In 2019, the only Spyder and still to this date with the larger 89T sprocket is the F3-S.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    The last year for the 89 Tooth Rear sprocket for the F3T was 2018. My girlfriend and I both have 2018 F3T's, however this was also the year BRP came out with the digital dash which a lot of members are not fond of. We both have Pedal commanders and it's a blast.

In 2019, the only Spyder and still to this date with the larger 89T sprocket is the F3-S.
    are they not fond of it for the way it looks or does it have issues?

I prefer the digital dash looks... but i also really like the 2019 f3/f3s dash that is similar to the ryker dash

I also don't particularly care for the fairing/speakers on the f3T but that's just my opinion and its how it comes so i can't do anything about it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    are they not fond of it for the way it looks or does it have issues?

I prefer the digital dash looks... but i also really like the 2019 f3/f3s dash that is similar to the ryker dash

I also don't particularly care for the fairing/speakers on the f3T but that's just my opinion and its how it comes so i can't do anything about it
    The Digital Dash was the introduction of BRP Connect, I don't want to hijack this thread so do a search on BRP connect and you will find more info.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014