Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of buying a 2014 Spyder RT-S - Belt align/tension issues?

I would like to purchase my first Spyder. But, I have been reading all the threads about belt alignment and belt tension. It sounds like many spend most of their time doing this. This is kind of scaring me off. I can do some of my maintenance like changing out the rear tire, brakes, oil changes, etc. But this belt thing is getting to me. I have friends that have Spyders and they just ride them. Are the folks that are agonizing about belt tension and alignment blowing this thing all out of proportion?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2023 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yes they are

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes. However, once your belt is adjusted and aligned correctly, you should have a long, worry-free service. Youtube videos can give you many tips on how your belt should run and how to adjust it. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder105 View Post
    I would like to purchase my first Spyder. But, I have been reading all the threads about belt alignment and belt tension. It sounds like many spend most of their time doing this. This is kind of scaring me off. I can do some of my maintenance like changing out the rear tire, brakes, oil changes, etc. But this belt thing is getting to me. I have friends that have Spyders and they just ride them. Are the folks that are agonizing about belt tension and alignment blowing this thing all out of proportion?
    Thank you.
    To tell the truth, THEY probably aren't blowing it all out of proportion, but cos you only see all the questions/problems, YOU are!!

You've gotta remember that you will very likely ONLY ever be seeing the issues/problems/concerns here, and all the posts from people who are actually deep in the throes of trying to sort those issues out... Since that's all you're seeing, it might LOOK like that's all that's ever going on - but you aren't seeing the hundreds if not thousands of miles that most of the 100,000+ Spyder Owners there are out there these days are happily riding between their visits/posts here; and you probably aren't seeing too many reports of the great and trouble free rides that are by far the VAASSST majority of miles travelled on most Spyders, simply cos so many are out there happily riding, and not in here telling us all about their troubles!!

Heck, you'd get bored bat-crap crazy if I posted up a summary of what I'd just done after every ride, cos every day I'd be putting up something like:
    "Had a great ride, did another 200+ miles today. Fantastic riding, lotsa twisties, scared the 2 wheelers as I out-braked & out-cornered them in the tight stuff; had no bike/belt problems, and all up, it was another fantabulous blast of a ride! Great Wind Therapy! Did pretty much the same yesterday, slightly different route. Gonna do pretty much the same all over again tomorrow, slightly different route. "
    And remember, there's well over 100,000 Spyders out there now, with MOST of their owners happily riding daily, weekly, monthly, occasionally, whenever, and the ONLY time we get to see most of them in here (or on any other Forum/Social Media site ) is when they have a problem or an issue they want some help &/or advice on how to align/tension their belt or fix whatever...

So you can read all the threads about other people's problems/breakdowns/concerns & maybe think that these Spyder things aren't all that great due to their belt alignment/tension concerns, sure; but if you do, the only person you'll really be fooling & doing a massive disservice too is yourself, cos the rest of us are probably out there having another great ride after last touching our drive belts whenever we last changed the (non Kenda ) rear tire something over 10-30,000+ trouble free miles ago - or you could just....

Buy the Damn Bike, You Know you Want Too! And then, just like most of the rest of us do -

Ride More, Worry Less!

And if you like, also just like many of the rest of us do, you can even do that Every Day; Rinse; Repeat!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2023 at 05:18 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Eighty-two thousand plus miles and I have never once worried about the alignment or tension on my belt. Caveat, I just don't want the hassle of changing my rear tire so I return it to the dealership where I bought it and whenever I get a new automobile sneaker the Spyder technician checks the tension with a Gates meter and I've never had a problem.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are many U-tube vids for changing a rear tire .... they also deal with belt alignment .... I've done all my rear tire changes...... If you re-move the rear shock bolt at a tire change when put it back together the belt will be exctaly where it was. .... no belt alignment necessary ..... good luck ... Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

67,000 kms plus on my 2014 and I’ve never worried about belt tension.....I just get on my unit and ride without even thinking about belt tension. I also have FOBO2 and don’t worry about tire pressure. My FOBO will alert me if there is a catastrophic problem. I check pressures with the FOBO about every couple of weeks, and other than slight differences due to ambient temperature, my pressures never change. Just my experiences with a well made machine, take it or leave it.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I have yet to touch the belt on my Spyder. But then, I get all work done at the dealer.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

When I was a new Spyder owner, like you, I was concerned about belt alignment and tension. I thought it was a good idea (at the time) to have a local dealer check tension and alignment and adjust as necessary. Well, they really screwed it up. When I challenged them on it they said it was "the best they could do". With the help from many here and with some videos, I learned to do it myself and corrected the dealer's shabby work. After that, there was never a problem. Knowing and understanding how the adjustments are made gave me confidence in my Spyder. The belt concerns became a non-issue for me. Good luck, and, welcome to TT..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Trust me when I say the first time you do it, you will say what the heck were they thinking when they came up with this piece of crap! But in the end, when you have the tension and alignment right it's a set it and forget it, that belt moves back and forth on that back sprocket, especially when rolling backwards. it's crazy! Really if you're going to do what you say you're going to do, you can figure that belt thing out! Good luck, ride more, worry less!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Tempest in a Tea Pot. What happens is that someone starts messing with alignment and tension before they understand what they are doing and make a relatively simple process into an aggravating trial. Chances are very good that the belt tension and alignment on your prospective Spyder are just fine. You can easily and cheaply check this before you buy (Krikit II gage for tension). If it's not right (unlikely) have the seller get it corrected before you make the purchase.

This is not a worry worthy subject. The belt and drive system are very reliable and virtually maintenance free. Just don't mess with it if you don't understand how it works.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have only had my Spyder a year and half, I put new tires on it myself almost a year ago and after that I had this whine noise at about 60 mph. At first, I thought it was the new tires, but it wasn't ... it was the drive belt was way too tight ... I bought a Krikit at BajaRon's shop; with that I could tell how tight it was, and started letting the pressure off slowly, and when I got to 155 lbs. the whine was gone, sooo yes ... sounds like you do your own work like me ... and the Krikit is what you need. J.M.O.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2023 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    I have only had my Spyder a year and half, I put new tires on it myself almost a year ago and after that I had this whine noise at about 60 mph. At first, I thought it was the new tires, but it wasn't ... it was the drive belt was way too tight ... I bought a Krikit at BajaRon's shop; with that I could tell how tight it was, and started letting the pressure off slowly, and when I got to 155 lbs. the whine was gone, sooo yes ... sounds like you do your own work like me ... and the Krikit is what you need. J.M.O.
    with this .... let me add I think 250,000 mi. is a very reachable number, if you stay off " chip seal " roads .... I good belt guard will give you piece of mind ..... Many here have learned that removing the rear shock bolt will keep whatever the alignment and tension were set at Before you re-moved the rear tire ..... good luck .... Mike