Spyder Garage

Default Will the RLS Echo Muffler stop the Drone noise?

I'm looking to pull the trigger on this full RLS Echo exhaust. Just afraid it won't solve the annoying drone noise that my bike has at highway speeds with the Lamonster cat delete and stock muffler. I find if I take the C3Pro helmet off the drone noise is gone. The last resource will be helmet because it is very quiet with the wind. Even with Alpine Motosafe Racing Ear Plugs the drone is there. By the way, I'm not sure if the word "drone " is correct.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2023 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

My way of thinking and I will probably get fryed for it, is that if you want to raddle the windows then take your stock exhaust off and get yourself the RLS! Only you know what you like, if you didn't like the cat delete, then go for it! And yes, to say drone is a little vague, and hard to figure out!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Even with a custom built exhaust, I still have a "drone" in my helmet (Shoei Neotec 2) at highway speed. My solution was to open the face shield a notch, it seems to help. It won't hurt to try it.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post
    Even with a custom built exhaust, I still have a "drone" in my helmet (Shoei Neotec 2) at highway speed. My solution was to open the face shield a notch, it seems to help. It won't hurt to try it.
    Thats what i did today, open a notch or 2 seems to help depending the wind. Seems like well sealed helmet are more prone to "drone" "resonance" noise, cheaper helmet makes wind noise and no resonance, what the heck.
    Last edited by mandytuning; 02-21-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

The stock T muffler sound kind of "ricer"very raspy , ordered a echo and hope it have a deeper tone and help with the helmet drone situation. If not going back with the hated cat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    I'm looking to pull the trigger on this full RLS Echo exhaust. Just afraid it won't solve the annoying drone noise that my bike has at highway speeds with the Lamonster cat delete and stock muffler. I find if I take the C3Pro helmet off the drone noise is gone. The last resource will be helmet because it is very quiet with the wind. Even with Alpine Motosafe Racing Ear Plugs the drone is there. By the way, I'm not sure if the word "drone " is correct.
    My F3-T was the tester for the new Echo Series exhaust. I was also one of the testers for the Crusher series when it was new. (my profile pic shows the original Crusher series I had) First, I want to say that I have an RLS cat delete so my sound may end up different than yours. With the original Crusher series slip on and with no baffles in the CAT delete, it was obnoxiously loud. So loud that friends didn't want to ride behind me. Then I added a baffle and then a second baffle and that gentled it down, but it was still very loud. There was also a definite highway sound it would make. I don't know if drone is the right word, but it was loud enough that I think it contributed to my fatigue after a day of riding.

A few months ago, I started testing the Echo. To prepare for the Echo, I had Ricky take one of the baffles out of my CAT delete and am currently only running one instead of two like I had to with the Crusher. The original sample of the Echo was a bit too short, but still had a good sound. It's a deeper and richer sound compared to the stock exhaust and it really sings at higher revs. It is louder than stock, but not by a ton. On the highway, there is exhaust note, but it's minimal and a pleasant tone.

Ricky made a video that includes my spider. You can see it Here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qER948h9bGY. (and I think you may have commented on the video already) If you go to minutes 3:40 and 5:50 you can hear some sound bites of the exhaust. Bear in mind that a phone speaker will not do it justice. It's best to listen on a computer or with headphones. I am very pleased with the sound. It's not nearly as loud as the Crusher, but it still has a great tone and depth. At high revs, it feels like it comes alive, but it's never obnoxious. I hope you like it.

Here are some pics I took.

20230223_223930.jpg

20230223_223947.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2023 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Exposed hidden URL's iaw Forum policy to avoid trolls/spam/scams... ;-)
    2016 F3-T

Places I've ridden.

Spyder Garage

Reacher 68 thanks for the input, I'm installing it tomorrow, I'm just looking for a deeper tone to see if I get rid of high pitch resonance on my helmet. I know my cat delete is not gonna help, RLS will definitely hurt my pocket and I don't want to use any restrictors, that's how I call the baffles. I have some small resonators on my amazon cart to modify the cat delete, trying to have fun with all these modifications.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2023 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Caps

Spyder Garage

You might also consider doing a titanium header wrap on your cat delete and tuned pipe on the 1330 models. I did this on my '18 RTL (though still using the stock final exhaust) and it helped alleviate some heat as well as deepend the exhaust note.
    Cat Delete wrapped.jpg
    BIW Cat delete heat wrapped.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

MandyTuning, please post about your outcome. I've been waiting for an aftermarket Akrapovic alternative and I think the RLS Echo series is it. Also are you getting a chrome or ceramic coated version?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    Your neighbors will hate you , and forget about listening to your radio.....