Spyder Garage

Default Any Ideas on how a Power Plate would be wired in?

Installed a Lamonster Dual Power Plate some time ago and it works fine with power on or off. Just replaced the battery and noticed there were no connections to the battery terminals for the Power Plate as it was installed, yet its powered. Took the side panel off to trace the wires and found that apparently the last time it was in the shop the tech decided to re do it as the wires were neatly wrapped in a loom and routed into the depths of the machine. Without removing more panels and putting it on a lift, I can't see what he would have wired it to. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-20-2023 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Try asking the tech and see if he remembers your bike and where he connected the plate to. BTW why are you asking? Just curious or do you need to redo something?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Well, just curious how do you get straight to the battery power without being connected to the battery. Plus , I just changed out the battery so I’m wondering if how it’s Hooked up drains the battery.

Spyder Garage

did it drain it before? Since you said it is always on there is the possibility that it could drain the battery if something was hooked to it. Do you have terminals you can hook a charger to that is separate from the battery terminals? if so, maybe that is where he hooked up your plate power.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 02-20-2023 at 09:37 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Is the positive power lead of the power plate attached at the starter?
    That would place it away from the + battery post.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I can’t really tell, that is the problem, or rather the question. Both the USB and the 12v on the power plate are hot whether the bike is on or off. But there are no connections from the power plate to the battery terminals. The fact that the battery went dead, and I had to replace it, which led to the discovery of this whole issue, adds to the mystery. Someone knows!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    I can’t really tell, that is the problem, or rather the question. Both the USB and the 12v on the power plate are hot whether the bike is on or off. But there are no connections from the power plate to the battery terminals. The fact that the battery went dead, and I had to replace it, which led to the discovery of this whole issue, adds to the mystery. Someone knows!
    Anything we can offer without actually physically looking at/inspecting the wiring will really only be a WAG...

So I think that you'll either hafta ask the tech if he can remember/knows; or you'll have no choice but to start tracing wires & pulling off any necessary panels/doing whatever that takes to trace/follow where the wiring leads. After all, it coulda been attached to anything that's hot all the time, only you'll never really know for sure unless you actually trace the wiring!!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I'll take a WAG at it! If your plate was hooked up direct to the battery before the service, did it have a fuse on it? It may have been a case where he put it on a fused circuit for you for safety. WAG,WAG
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 2013 RT has battery jumper posts/terminals under the left access plate at the rear left of the frunk. He probably connected it there. Those terminals are a good place to get battery power without adding a bunch of connections directly to the battery.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much Oh Wise One!
    If it gives power directly from the battery…the shouldn’t it work to charge directly to the battery ?

Spyder Garage

If it gives power directly from the battery…the shouldn’t it work to charge directly to the battery ?
    Yes, it will.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

That's where I connect a battery tender (on the rare occasions I need to ) and it works fine to keep the battery charge up; and to power my accessories when I'm riding! I reckon that's why they put it there, dunno why they didn't keep it?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-26-2023 at 08:44 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

what is the best way to access those terminals?

Spyder Garage

Look at the terminals and figure out what will work best for what you want. They are two posts, 8 mm thread I think. See how the dealer connected to them and use that for a guide.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Open the frunk, then remove the Right Hand (as you stand at the front looking at the Spyder) black bat-wing cover and there they are. There should be a Red placcy cap on the Positive Terminal.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I see that unit red cap and all…..but mystery deepens….does not appear that is where he made the connection.

Spyder Garage

Too bad since that is one of the best places to connect to battery power on a 2013 RT. That is the only year with those posts.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

This is the unit referred to….it does not look like any additional connections.
    So, where did he connect?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Tatonka, the above question is a bit like asking ME where Lamont left his shop broom last night. Only HE can accurately answer this question Call him (not Lamont )

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Looks like you're back with what was said by a few earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    So I think that you'll either hafta ask the tech if he can remember/knows; or you'll have no choice but to start tracing wires & pulling off any necessary panels/doing whatever that takes to trace/follow where the wiring leads. After all, it coulda been attached to anything that's hot all the time, only you'll never really know for sure unless you actually trace the wiring!!

Just Sayin'
    It seems to me that unless the tech who did this can remember where it was plumbed in, then I reckon you're back to pulling panels & tracing the wiring!?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I think you may be right.

Spyder Garage

It looks to me like there is one, if not two, cables connected to the negative terminal. Is it the same on the positive terminal? If so, then one of those must be for the power plate. IIRC, from when I had my 2013 RT there are no cables, other than the battery cable, attached to those terminals from the factory. So something has been added.

2014 Copper RTS