Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Need a better place to put Battery Tender lead - Ideas?

I am very new to the Spyder Can Am & this forum, please bear w/ me, TY I find it a real nuisance to have to open the frunk & remove the 'batwing' just to get to the battery Tender lead, off of the battery. Is there a work around to put the lead so that it is accessible outside the whole frunk/batwing remove??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2023 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread... & expanded title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1947 View Post
    I am very new to the Spyder Can Am & this forum, please bear w/ me, TY I find it a real nuisance to have to open the frunk & remove the 'batwing' just to get to the battery Tender lead, off of the battery. Is there a work around to put the lead so that it is accessible outside the whole frunk/batwing remove??
    You can really run it wherever you want… get a longer connector cable and place it where it makes sense to you. On my F3 I have it hanging out side the frunk so I don’t have to open it each time.
    Last edited by al0vely; 02-20-2023 at 03:43 AM.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I put mine out by the front wheel. I have a 2022 RTL and on the top of the radiator, there are 3 little hooks that the tender cable locks right into.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

I'm partial to the BMW style Powerlet ports. I installed mine in the lower left side where it is easy to use and also handy for connecting my heated vest.

Powerlet.jpg
    2015 F3 S , Can Am Red

Spyder Garage

Would help to know what model your Spyder is. On my 2017 RTS, I use the 12V power outlet in the top case. You have to switch the fuse for the outlet from switched to always hot. On my 2017 RTS you move the 5 amp fuse from position 6 to position 7. This fuse is in the Right Fuse Box. The fuse boxes are labeled left and right on the fuse box covers. There is a diagram of the fuses on the inside of the cover. Then you can use a "cigarette" type adaptor from the tender plugged to the power outlet. Since the fuse is now always hot, the current from the tender goes right to the battery. I use a Deltran Battery Tender Plus with just such an adaptor. Very clean setup, and stupid easy to use.

https://www.batterytender.com/Cigare...ccessory-Cable

https://www.batterytender.com/plus
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone. I think I'll just get a longer lead & fish it out to an accessible location.

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone. I think I'll just get a longer lead & fish it out to an accessible location.
    What is your spyder model?

What year is your spyder?

Also,

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I put mine where you see the red circle in this picture. Only had to expose the battery at the front and pop the side panel out. That allowed me to run sufficient wiring through the open spaces and tie it up with zip ties in a few spots. It hardly shows until you bend down and look right under the chrome piece.

Added a better picture showing plug. I was able to install this by removing the side panel and the battery cover inside the frunk then fished the wires up and over from behind the battery. Tied them out of harms way with a few zip ties then buttoned it all back up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 02-22-2023 at 05:19 PM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

on my 2011 spyder rts , i hooked to the Battery cables right near the Battery Under the seat... and made the plug in connection long enough to reach my little Gas Door on the left front of the Seat... when I put it in my Garage , I open the little Gas door .. pull the cable out through that gas door hole 3 or 4 " and plug to it... then when i'm gonna ride , just unplug and put the bike end inside near the fuel cap , and close the gas door. works well for me.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    What is your spyder model?

What year is your spyder?

Also,

Deanna
    2019 Spyder F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

mine comes out the side, i have changed zip tie to black since this pic,, easy plug and unplug,, 2020 F3L

IMG_5933.jpg
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just take it out from under the batwing and let it dangle into the frunk. Then just open the frunk lid and plug it in.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Just take it out from under the batwing and let it dangle into the frunk. Then just open the frunk lid and plug it in.
    He said he did not want to open the frunk.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I put mine here.

charger plug 1_102627.jpg

If ya Frunk is hard to open attend to it. A little lube goes a long way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    He said he did not want to open the frunk.
    It’s not that hard to do and it’s about the only way to keep the plug clean and dry.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Mine came with a dealer installed lead from the battery to the front of the right upper control arm. It zip-tied securely, easily accessed and doesn't get covered withroad crud.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    It’s not that hard to do and it’s about the only way to keep the plug clean and dry.
    I can't argue with that. Mine is inside the frunk. I was simply stating that you were giving him advice to do something he stated he didn't want to do. And you still are.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I can't argue with that. Mine is inside the frunk. I was simply stating that you were giving him advice to do something he stated he didn't want to do. And you still are.
    I’m not the only one recommending it be in the frunk. What I suggested is so easy to do compared to removing the frunk and re-routing it to some other area that’s just as easy to get at as it is to pop the frunk lid and plug it in. The frunk lid can be locked after plugging in the charger.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-22-2023 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Removed provocative/argumentative comment
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

C'mon guys, see the bold bit above?? I'd find that bit annoying too, and I really don't think anyone here is still telling sparky to do anything quite that annoying, are they now?!?

My 2013 RT actually came with a BRP designed & factory installed remote battery terminal block tucked up under the LHSide (as always, while seated on the bike ) batwing 'for ease of access, jump starting, and connecting accessories' (or words to that effect in their blurb telling us how great they were for doing it ) but I found it a right pain having to open the frunk and then remove that batwing to get to those terminals all the time; so I added a short pig-tail that let the tender connector hang out from under the batwing & just sit there in the channel on top of the batwing outside the frunk sealing lip. I pop the frunk lid to take out whatever & put my helmet & gloves in it whenever I stop anyway, so it's no more of a nuisance than having to turn the key off before removing it..... And it's worked fine that way for 10 years or so now too.

And now sparky knows that's an option too, without me or him or anyone else losing any skin in the sharing of that info either. It's one of the great things about Forums, isn't it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2023 at 11:02 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My dealer installed a plug-in wire under my seat. 90% of rhw time, I have sticking out enough to see and use right in front of me. Great place to plug in my electric vest, and then when I get home I plug in my maintainer. Works for me!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

What I did requires opening the frunk. I drilled a hole in the back of the frunk close to the battery and installed a grommet. I ran to tender connector through the hole so that I just open the frunk and plug it in.

Spyder Garage

post number 11 is all you need to do , no drilling, and put cap on when not plugged in..easypeasy.. no need to open frunk. mines been like this for almost 3 yrs..
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

I don't find it a big deal to open the frunk and hook up the Battery Tender. I leave the cover off the battery and the wires easily available. When I stop for the night and want to hook up the tender, I always open the frunk anyway because that is where I throw the gloves and place the helmet that I will use for the next ride.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I don't find it a big deal to open the frunk and hook up the Battery Tender. I leave the cover off the battery and the wires easily available. When I stop for the night and want to hook up the tender, I always open the frunk anyway because that is where I throw the gloves and place the helmet that I will use for the next ride.
    I'm not familiar with the '21 RT set-up but with our 2014RTL, if you leave the cover off the battery and get caught in a rainstorm or it is sitting out at a motel or anywhere for that matter and it rains, your frunk will fill up with water.

Spyder Garage

Have you found a method you like here? There have been a few pretty good (and easy) suggestions that took into account your aversion to opening the frunk.