Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Need a Jump Start/CPAP Battery - recommendations?

I'm looking for battery to carry on the Spyder for jump starting (if needed) and to be a power supply for my CPAP when camping.
    So far every dedicated jump stat battery I've tied has failed (in one night) when used to run the CPAP. Less than 1A draw without using a humidifier.
    My current solution is to carry jumper cables and a standard 12V Gel Cell that is a bit larger than my Spyder battery.
    I can charge this rig from the Spyder while riding. But this setup is large and heavy.
    Has anyone found a suitable Jumper battery to solve this dilemma?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2023 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I'm looking for battery to carry on the Spyder for jump starting (if needed) and to be a power supply for my CPAP when camping.
    So far every dedicated jump stat battery I've tied has failed (in one night) when used to run the CPAP. Less than 1A draw without using a humidifier.
    My current solution is to carry jumper cables and a standard 12V Gel Cell that is a bit larger than my Spyder battery.
    I can charge this rig from the Spyder while riding. But this setup is large and heavy.
    Has anyone found a suitable Jumper battery to solve this dilemma?
    I think the issue is the CPAP machine .... I don't think any " jump start " device is going to provide 6 + hrs. of power. I suggest contacting a medical equipment provider and ask them for advice on how to run your CPAP machine using a battery ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The Smallest gas generator you can find. I heard of other systems other than CPAP also.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run my cpap from a small lithium battery. It lasts well thru the night with capacity remaining. It would never provide enough amps to run a starter motor though.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

There are batteries available for CPAP machines, you will just have to check with various medical suppliers to see who makes one that will work with your machine.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I don’t know the specs of your CPAP electrical power needs which would help tremendously. There are quite a few portable rechargeable power stations available that can handle CPAP machines that can be recharged with a wall outlet, a 12 Volt automotive system or solar power. Take a look at www.jackery.com and see if these will be sufficient for your power needs. I don’t think a portable battery jump starter would supply you enough continuous power for a night of CPAP use. Jump starting your Spyder is another affair.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Use the spyder battery to power the cpap and a power pack to start your spyder. You can recharge them both during the day as you ride. The 1330 has an alternator like a car. Try it out first and see if it works. A small jump pack is always a good thing to have. Got mine at harbor freight and I've used it to start cars. DON'T get a generator. nobody likes to listen to a generator all night long.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 02-15-2023 at 02:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Use the spyder battery to power the cpap and a power pack to start your spyder. You can recharge them both during the day as you ride. The 1330 has an alternator like a car. Try it out first and see if it works. A small jump pack is always a good thing to have. Got mine at harbor freight and I've used it to start cars. DON'T get a generator. nobody likes to listen to a generator all night long.
    Sorry but I disagree, an alternator is made to keep your battery at a full charge not to constantly charge a drained battery. If you continually run the battery down and use the alternator to charge it back up, sooner or later you'll ruin your alternator.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

And every time you get the bike battery below 50% you lessen the life of you battery.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Dave,
    Check out http://www.inspiresleep.com
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think the issue is the CPAP machine .... I don't think any " jump start " device is going to provide 6 + hrs. of power. I suggest contacting a medical equipment provider and ask them for advice on how to run your CPAP machine using a battery ..... good luck .... Mike
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Solar rechargeable & lasting OFF grid sources ; camp or emergency https://gosun.co/products/power-1100

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Haze, have you checked out Bluetti and EcoFlow. We have several of these from both suppliers and find them to be useful. Even the smaller units have specs indicating they should have enough power to support a CPAP. Make sure when purchasing this kind of battery to look at the specific chemistry, want to make sure its a Lithium iron phosphate (LFP) battery. LFP batteries have a long life cycle with good thermal stability and electrochemical performance.

As for jumping the Spyder battery you will need a unit designed for the function.

Good luck,
    TC

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who responded. Looks like I need two battery devices to meet the needs of the CPAP and Jump starts.
    Thankfully neither issues is an emergency.
    Cheers, David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who responded. Looks like I need two battery devices to meet the needs of the CPAP and Jump starts.
    Thankfully neither issues is an emergency.
    Cheers, David C.
    Check out the subject on FB. There are some (many) very good suggestions (information) there.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1A? Is that at 120 volts? If so that translates to about 10 amps at 12 volts so for 8 hours you need a 100 amp hour capacity battery. My CPAP is 90 watts and it runs down a fresh deep cycle marine battery in three nights. Keep in mind cranking amps capacity of a battery does not directly translate to amp hour capacity.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the calculation. I use a ResMed CPAP without humidifier. The battery adapter up converts the battery voltage to 24V. It runs OK on a 12V Gel Cell battery. The battery is just large and heavy.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the calculation. I use a ResMed CPAP without humidifier. The battery adapter up converts the battery voltage to 24V. It runs OK on a 12V Gel Cell battery. The battery is just large and heavy.
    Mine is a Resmed also. The Phillips Respironics uses about 1/2 the power of Resmed and is 12 volt, not 24. You might be able to find one for only a few hundred bucks. Do a search for travel cpap. Either one of these will let you get by with less battery capacity. Medicare and insurance won't buy you one though unless you're eligible for a replacement.

I don't know about a jump start battery or a CPAP specific battery, but an issue with a deep cycle battery is it will not accept a high recharge current so they're slow to recharge. I've recharged mine with solar panels during the day while camping.

Traveling or camping with a CPAP, other than in hotels/motels, can be problematic as you are finding out!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what I use for a travel cpap. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...l-cpap-machine
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    This is what I use for a travel cpap. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...l-cpap-machine
    I saw that on their website but didn't check it out. The price stopped me in my tracks. It is a sweet looking machine though. If I did a lot of camping or air or train travel I'd consider it, but since I can easily carry my AS10 on the Spyder, and spend most nights with power available I don't feel much of an urge to buy one!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I saw that on their website but didn't check it out. The price stopped me in my tracks. It is a sweet looking machine though. If I did a lot of camping or air or train travel I'd consider it, but since I can easily carry my AS10 on the Spyder, and spend most nights with power available I don't feel much of an urge to buy one!
    My VA-supplied Phillips Respironics died a year ago after getting rained on while camping. Normally VA would have replaced it but they have no inventory because of the recall, so I bought this little gem myself. It's ideal for travel and to hold me over until the recall replacement is available, supposedly last fall. But with no delivery date in sight I bought another, larger Resmed cpap to use at home.
    2014 RTL Platinum