Spyder Garage

Question How do you take off the Parking brake cable

I have a 2018 F3 and I can't seem to get the parking cable off of the upper lateral support arm. The nut only unscrews so far and it does not fit over the end of the cable. There is a small rubber cap on the end of the shaft. That unscrews but the end of that is keeping the nut from going to far. Does anyone know if that little thing the rubber is attached to unscrews? It had to go on somehow, right? Any help from the masses would be appreciated.IMG_3907.jpg
    Last edited by Spyder Hawk; 02-16-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

This might help. From the service manual.

parking brake cable.jpg
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

is your parking brake stuck on if so you loosen cable at the caliper with 12 mil wrench

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the effort Jetfixer. I have the service manual, I bought it just to get this part off, and to no surprise it is of no use. It just says "loosen the bolts" but it doesn't say anything about how to get the cable out once the bolts are loose.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Hawk View Post
    Thanks for the effort Jetfixer. I have the service manual, I bought it just to get this part off, and to no surprise it is of no use. It just says "loosen the bolts" but it doesn't say anything about how to get the cable out once the bolts are loose.
    Might be wrong, BUT, most cables are replaced as a unit, "cable and casing", you do not remove just the cable. You will need the new complete cable & casing. MHO, Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

That still begs the question though Bill. If I have to replace the entire cable then the new one has to go on. If the bolts in my pic don't come off then how does it go together. That is the big dilemma.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Hawk View Post
    That still begs the question though Bill. If I have to replace the entire cable then the new one has to go on. If the bolts in my pic don't come off then how does it go together. That is the big dilemma.
    Looks like Dudley forgot to put a groove in that piece! My is a RT, but I imagine mine has the same style parking brake. I'm sure Jetfixer or any of the other Super Tech's here have the knowledge to overcome that problem for you. Sorry, didn't the facts. Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I have never done it, but assuming by the pictures ,Take the cable out of the caliper so you can pull the wire from the pulley side and remove it from the pulley, then you can pull out the cable cover out of that bracket.hope make sense for you

Spyder Garage

I would say that if the nut will not thread itself over that barb on the end of the casing, your SOL! That bracket that the cables attach to should have had a slot cut in it so that you loosen the jam nut and slide the cable out to the side of it, then you unhook the cable from the wheel! If that bracket cannot be removed from the bike with the cable, then, I would say if your new cable came with no bracket attached then, you may have to cut the old cable out of its holder and take a dremil tool and make your own slot in the bracket so you can install a new cable! Good luck anyways, this is one of those items that would be easier to guess at if we could see what you're looking at. The factory put it on there, must be a way to replace the darn thing!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl